• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Luv Ridge Cat opens tomorrow with max forecast on east facing slopes.

View attachment 62584 View attachment 62585

I was going, but got a terrible cancer diagnosis today for my sweet dog Zurich so staying put with him until Sunday, when he will come up with us.

Looks like this storm is going to be better than it was forecasted earlier in the week!

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Redacted joke of the day:

Middle aged dude at a big party in Michigan walks up to like aged dude and conversation ensues:

"Hey man, we're wearing the exact same Patagonia shirt!"
"No kidding, we sure are. Did you get yours on steepandcheap for 60% off?"
"No doubt! You too? That's crazy."
"So you enjoy the outdoors?"
"Yup, love to spend time outside."
"You enjoy relaxing or would you rather be active?"
"Oh, active fosho."
"Cool, me too, what do you like to do?"
"In the summer I ride my bike."
"Yeah, me too. Road or trail."
"Only trails, I hate cars passing me."
"You can say that again, I haven't had a road bike since I was a teen."
"Cross country or downhill?"
"Downhill is the bomb!"
"Bro, I'm right with you!"
"So how about the winter, you sit that out?"
"No way man, I'm all about the winter."
"Me too! You like to play on the ice or the snow?"
"Snow fosho."
"Cool, me too. So do you snowboard or ski?"
"I couldn't go with just one plank, love to ski."
"You said a mouthful homie, skiing is the best."
"So do you ski the east or travel west?"
"Love the west, man."
"Yeah, you really can't beat it, can you? Do you prefer Utah or Colorado?"
"Too many shenanigans in Utah, I always go to CO."
"Cool, Bro, that's my destination as well."
"So you head to Summit?"
"Naw, too crowded. My fave is xxxxxx xxxx"
"No way! That's where I ski too! Do you like groomers or bumps?"
"Bumps, no doubt."
"Cool, me too. Do you like to ski 'em on skinny skis or fat skis?"
"I have no problem rippin' 'em on big fatties."
"Preach it brotha, me too!"
"So do you like the xxxx side or the xxxx side?"
"Def some good runs on the xxxx side but I'm on the xxxx side most of the time."
"Yeah I hear ya, so you ride the front side of the xxxx?"
"Yup, at least ten bump runs every day."
"Wow, you're an iron man.... me too!"
"So out of all those bump runs, which one is your fave?"
"Well, I like 'em all but if I had to pick a fave I guess I'd say xxxxxxx."
"I love that run! I usually ski it twice per day."
"That's crazy dude, we're like two peas in a pod."
"Yeah, that is crazy, bro. So, when you ski xxxxxxx, do you usually hit up the left side or the right side?"
"I like the right side, I think it holds snow better."
"DIE YOU HERETIC, LEFT SIDE RULES!"

Adapted from a joke I heard Emo Phillips tell many moons ago.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
upload_2019-1-11_16-48-39.png

It was a fun morning with 8 or more inches of snow all over the mountain at Breck. The snow fell without wind so it was nicely uniform. I started on Wire Patch, then some trees, T-Bar and Imperial. I was first on CJs with vertiginous conditions. I had done my homework and knew that there were not bumps so it was easy to drive through the heavy snow without fear of being laid low by an irregular surface.

IMG_20190111_110802933_HDR.jpg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
View attachment 62631 View attachment 62631

It was a fun morning with 8 or more inches of snow all over the mountain at Breck. The snow fell without wind so it was nicely uniform. I started on Wire Patch, then some trees, T-Bar and Imperial. I was first on CJs with vertiginous conditions. I had done my homework and knew that there were not bumps so it was easy to drive through the heavy snow without fear of being laid low by an irregular surface.

View attachment 62632

You skiing tomorrow?

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Fun, fun frosting day here. Started with 2" densish and added 2". Charged 'til two, no rope drops.

My buddy asserts that these days are more enjoyable than full on pow days due to the ....lack of onslaught. Easy to make fresh tracks right to the last run.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 62631

View attachment 62632

Great Day of skiing and a great end to the week of skiing @ Breck. I wasn't first on CJs but it was still so sweet. Also got to OatMeal courtesy of a friendly instructor IMG_7062.JPG

Relive playback - https://www.relive.cc/view/2072239935

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
First member of the public this season down Velvet Hammer at Loveland today. 8 GS turns of perfection. I skied one more lap after, met my SO at the Rat and she asked "what happened? You are very very smiley."

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
First member of the public this season down Velvet Hammer at Loveland today. 8 GS turns of perfection. I skied one more lap after, met my SO at the Rat and she asked "what happened? You are very very smiley."

One of my absolute faves at LL. Color me jealous. :D

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
This is why all webcam snapshots from the webcam showing BME is irrelevant at the Basin once Pali is open. I have no idea why so many beginners come to the Basin.:huh:

Same time IMG_20190113_101403.jpg IMG_20190113_101514.jpg

Reactions: nay

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is why all webcam snapshots from the webcam showing BME is irrelevant at the Basin once Pali is open. I have no idea why so many beginners come to the Basin.:huh:

Because they have Epic passes, that's the closest resort, and the line isn't much worse than other places? Or maybe they want to be able to tell people they skied A-Basin? Or maybe they're intermediates who enjoy some of the above tree line stuff there?

I really have no idea and I haven't been there yet. But it must be something...

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Unless you study the trail map or grooming report Pali = extreme in bound terrain and steeps off an old slow double chair. You can’t tell it accesses much of the summit, and is so steep you get to the top quick.

Unless you watch the grooming report, most intermediates and skiers at major areas will assume blues will be groomed, and ABasin has them in every zone. They just don’t get groomed as much and are going to be much harder than a place like Breck—the age old “relative to this area” problem with ratings.

Multi mountain passes encourage exploration, but that also means folks who only ski periodically may have a challenge truly and exploring. Pali is a learned secret for “locals” or those who pay attention to a place like Pugski for local advice.

What is that line likely? Intermediated on a multi mountain pass looking for groomed blues off a high speed chair. So, like, the vast majority of people buying passes and skiing any given weekend in Summit County.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Today at LL was very good (so yesterday must have been great). Lots of untracked lines still available off #9 (you just have to be willing to work for it). :)

Oh, and today was my first day on the SR95 since many years ago when I was just demoing them. They are every bit as fantastic as I remembered them. In a foot of fresh, I really don't need more than the SR95.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Spent significant time in the Beavers today for the first time. 7 laps and hit lots of rocks but wow! That terrain completely changes the Basin. Best tree skiing in the state and it's not close. Steep sustained and mostly perfectly spaced trees. The west facing stuff directly off Pali is spicy....not so perfectly spaced and steeeep. The gully at the bottom of that needs alot more snow. Glockenspiel Glade is intro to tree skiing heaven! I'm not giving away any secrets as people were parking the sides of hwy 6 for two miles down and hiking up by 10am but the only place I waited in line was at Lenawee and that was ~5 minutes. The Carnage of people trying to ski the two "blue" runs in the Beavers was hilarious. 50 yard slides down the steep icy (Rocky) pitches. Great day!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Spent significant time in the Beavers today for the first time. 7 laps and hit lots of rocks but wow! That terrain completely changes the Basin. Best tree skiing in the state and it's not close. Steep sustained and mostly perfectly spaced trees. The west facing stuff directly off Pali is spicy....not so perfectly spaced and steeeep. The gully at the bottom of that needs alot more snow. Glockenspiel Glade is intro to tree skiing heaven! I'm not giving away any secrets as people were parking the sides of hwy 6 for two miles down and hiking up by 10am but the only place I waited in line was at Lenawee and that was ~5 minutes. The Carnage of people trying to ski the two "blue" runs in the Beavers was hilarious. 50 yard slides down the steep icy (Rocky) pitches. Great day!

Yeah, the "blue" runs in the Beavers will give a bunch of intermediate skiers nightmares. :eek:

What I think sets the Beavers apart from the stuff off Pali, is that much of the best lines off Pali are double fall-line aspects. I'm not a fan of double fall-line stuff. The Beavers is a very "straight forward" area and easier to understand after skiing it a few times. I'm surprised you were hitting rocks, all I hit was a tree (but it was small - all it did was almost rip my ski pants completely off!). :roflmao:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Good to hear! It was definitely spicy where we were, so then we didn't venture any further out, but I'm glad to get your perspective. Looking forward to more :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January