Colorado 2018-19 Colorado Weather and Stoke

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by nay, Aug 17, 2018.

1. skix

skix Getting off the lift Skier

ABasin today

ABasin_SkiBike_20190109.jpg

2. VickieH

VickieH Out on the slopes Skier

Today at Winter Park
    20190109_142021.jpg

Some clouds passed by and shielded the sun long enough for an uphill shot:

20190109_114253.jpg

Phelmut, Freaq, Shawn C. and 2 others like this.
  3. mikel

mikel Out on the slopes Skier

Sat. and Sun was like night and day at Copper. It went from a busy day Sat. to where is everyone on Sun. which has continued. The pics above show it all. You can ski a lot runs now and not see anyone.

coskigirl likes this.
  4. mikel

mikel Out on the slopes Skier

You cracked me up with this. :D Over the holidays I had posted up about traffic and the drive time to Fraser on a Thursday from the front range that one of the locals was telling me about. I guess it's been pretty busy since the holidays?

Freaq likes this.
  5. Freaq

Freaq Pretends to be local Skier

Parking wise, def busier Tuesday than Wednesday. x-xxx was full both days but the road didn't get severely parked up Wed. Neither day was crowded on the hill, IME.

6. Green08

Green08 Front Range for the First Time Skier

I am hitting up ABasin tomorrow with my wife. I was going to post and ask how is ABasin skiing with only such little snow. However, the weather forecast has changed--significantly. If the model forecasts hold from OpenSnow, it is now calling for 4-7 inches by close on Friday.

I have only skied ABasin early in the season before most runs are open.

What advice to folks have for skiing ABasin on a mild storm day like tomorrow?

7. UGASkiDawg

UGASkiDawg AKA David Pugski Ski Tester

Trees....

8. Green08

Green08 Front Range for the First Time Skier

I guess I was looking for more specifics than that. But, yes trees and other features to help with visibility in flat snowy light will be helpful

9. surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl loves soft bumps, trees and ungroomed Skier

Just spent a couple hours at Meier ski headquarters in Denver. What a great couple of hours. Maybe I will start a new thread, took lots of pictures.

Ken_R and coskigirl like this.
  10. Ken_R

Ken_R Living the Dream Skier

Tomorrow should be a "refreeze" kinda day so expect ROUGH conditions until enough snow covers the mess. Try to stick to north facing shaded aspects specially places that get smoothed over by the wind.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    SkiNurse likes this.
  11. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs Skiing the powder Industry Insider Pugski Ski Tester

Today's skiing included great groomers, firm as well as 3D ungroomed and a bunch of trees. I even hugged a small one today. I thanked it for not hurting me.

I've just started using Strava for my skiing (along with SkiTracks but it has been auto-pausing without reason) and you get these mini-movies of your runs, just like when you go riding. I like the imagery is decidedly wintery vs other 'fly' applications that don't consider season of the imagery.

upload_2019-1-10_15-17-9.png
    https://www.relive.cc/view/2069629772

IMG_20190110_113154808.jpg
    Six Senses with my tracks from two days ago still fairly intact.

IMG_20190110_113539748.jpg
    Someone else's tracks. Recon.

IMG_20190110_115124706_HDR.jpg
    Keystone on the left, Guyot and Baldy to the right. The north end of the Town of Breck. The rock field lower left that I nearly broke myself on a few years ago. More recon. Lots of good coverage, but lots of opportunities for just covered rock fields tomorrow in the new 4 - 8 inches.

IMG_20190110_121145613_HDR.jpg
    Just below the Lost Cabin.

Phelmut, VickieH, Shawn C. and 4 others like this.
  12. Noodler

Noodler Now trading turns for swings... Skier

That mini movie from Strava is very cool. I will definitely check this out. Glad you and the tree did not become one. ;)

Doug Briggs likes this.
  13. Noodler

Noodler Now trading turns for swings... Skier

I skied LL this morning and was surprised when I was greeted by lots of well groomed corduroy. It's not often that LL has well groomed slopes, so clearly someone got enough sleep last night and got enthusiastic about building beautiful rivers of cord.

Other than that, the moguls were soft-ish and did bunch of laps on Scrub and Nix Nox. My quads are shot, but it's a good kind of shot. :)

Phelmut, nay and Ken_R like this.
  14. UGASkiDawg

Nothing at the Basin is melting to refreeze. Will there be sastrugi? yes. Will there be Rocks sticking through? yes
    You're over thinking it. Ride up look for nearby trees and head on in. Make it over to the Beavers for the best tree skiing in Summit County. I disagree with @Ken_R. I don't think you'll find any bad snow at the Basin. A lot rocks? Probably....welcome to the basin.

Phelmut and nay like this.
  15. Ken_R

Ken_R Living the Dream Skier

The Beavers? Its terrible, no one should ski there

Noodler likes this.
  16. SBrown

SBrown Steve Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Well, I found some pretty crap skiing in the Beavers last week, with geib and ftm. I think we weren’t in the best place, but I would advise caution. I am hardly particular about rocks sticking up, but that was kinda shitty.

nay likes this.
  17. Freaq

Freaq Pretends to be local Skier

Been having good days at the xxxx and perhaps all the ptex I've sacrificed will payoff tonight, we'll see. Lots of spots are bony as a trout farm but the zippers have set up nicely and most bumps chalky. Found some stashes of the last 4" and mopped it up like gravy with a biscuit. Finished not long after 1:00 with a run on a southish facer and it was rounding into fine shape. Seemed like cold air was moving in so I'm thinking at least most runs will be in at least fine shape in the morn...but for the trout.

I've heard tell of an imminent rope drop, also told it probably won't be very good.

Phelmut likes this.
  18. UGASkiDawg

That's good for you skiing:snowball:

19. Wannabeskibum

Wannabeskibum Getting on the lift Skier

So Ski Tracks has definitely been having some problems with auto pausing this week. I have sent numerous files to their engineer who acknowledges the issue. In my case most of them have happened either at Pioneer Crossing or the base of Independence Chair. I have been skiing with some Breck guides this week and we end up at Pioneer Crossing for lunch (after exploring the Peak 7 alpine terrain). Never had this problem with SkiTracks before and I have been using it for about 5 years all over the country (from Killington to Lake Tahoe).

There is another app that has a direct link to Strava called Slopes that I have been using this week. Slopes hasn't had any auto-pause issues.

Doug Briggs likes this.
  20. Thread Starter
    TS
    nay

nay dirt heel pusher Skier

Luv Ridge Cat opens tomorrow with max forecast on east facing slopes.

7A24CD8D-7A4E-4804-9D1B-D842F8DE5C89.png 3E64F76A-AF26-41C7-932C-00FE6F8EFB1C.png

I was going, but got a terrible cancer diagnosis today for my sweet dog Zurich so staying put with him until Sunday, when he will come up with us.

surfandski, Phelmut and Noodler like this.