• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Observed sunrise in the rear view while doing 77 on 76, not long after, the purple mountain's majesty was revealed. Arrived at the hill I shall not name about 9:30 on a Tuesday. They were parking the x-xxx as tight as the mall at a Sears liquidation sale....on a Tuesday. SMH. Ikon?

Outstanding early season, right? I've been watching the snow pack go from 150% of normal to 109% but after one day I would have told you that we're solidly in the double digits. Lots of sketchy coverage.

Snow was tricky fosho, left over styrofoam. I was on skinny skis, brought a knife to a steamroller fight. Up top was socked in the first time I arrived so I employed my usual tactic of keeping the out of bounds rope immediately to my right...... and found myself surrounded by sastrugi. Exit stage left.

Did just one lap to check out the new glading in the xxxxx xxxx area. More investigation is required but it was seeming pretty wide open to me.

Ikon did encourage me to get a couple of days before I left the mitten so today was 1/3.

You cracked me up with this. :D Over the holidays I had posted up about traffic and the drive time to Fraser on a Thursday from the front range that one of the locals was telling me about. I guess it's been pretty busy since the holidays?

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
You cracked me up with this. :D Over the holidays I had posted up about traffic and the drive time to Fraser on a Thursday from the front range that one of the locals was telling me about. I guess it's been pretty busy since the holidays?
Parking wise, def busier Tuesday than Wednesday. x-xxx was full both days but the road didn't get severely parked up Wed. Neither day was crowded on the hill, IME.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I am hitting up ABasin tomorrow with my wife. I was going to post and ask how is ABasin skiing with only such little snow. However, the weather forecast has changed--significantly. If the model forecasts hold from OpenSnow, it is now calling for 4-7 inches by close on Friday.

I have only skied ABasin early in the season before most runs are open.

What advice to folks have for skiing ABasin on a mild storm day like tomorrow?

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I am hitting up ABasin tomorrow with my wife. I was going to post and ask how is ABasin skiing with only such little snow. However, the weather forecast has changed--significantly. If the model forecasts hold from OpenSnow, it is now calling for 4-7 inches by close on Friday.

Trees....

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Tomorrow should be a "refreeze" kinda day so expect ROUGH conditions until enough snow covers the mess. Try to stick to north facing shaded aspects specially places that get smoothed over by the wind.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Today's skiing included great groomers, firm as well as 3D ungroomed and a bunch of trees. I even hugged a small one today. I thanked it for not hurting me.

I've just started using Strava for my skiing (along with SkiTracks but it has been auto-pausing without reason) and you get these mini-movies of your runs, just like when you go riding. I like the imagery is decidedly wintery vs other 'fly' applications that don't consider season of the imagery.

upload_2019-1-10_15-17-9.png
https://www.relive.cc/view/2069629772

IMG_20190110_113154808.jpg
Six Senses with my tracks from two days ago still fairly intact.

IMG_20190110_113539748.jpg
Someone else's tracks. Recon.

IMG_20190110_115124706_HDR.jpg
Keystone on the left, Guyot and Baldy to the right. The north end of the Town of Breck. The rock field lower left that I nearly broke myself on a few years ago. More recon. Lots of good coverage, but lots of opportunities for just covered rock fields tomorrow in the new 4 - 8 inches.

IMG_20190110_121145613_HDR.jpg
Just below the Lost Cabin.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Today's skiing included great groomers, firm as well as 3D ungroomed and a bunch of trees. I even hugged a small one today. I thanked it for not hurting me.

I've just started using Strava for my skiing (along with SkiTracks but it has been auto-pausing without reason) and you get these mini-movies of your runs, just like when you go riding. I like the imagery is decidedly wintery vs other 'fly' applications that don't consider season of the imagery.

View attachment 62564

View attachment 62566

View attachment 62567

View attachment 62568
Keystone on the left, Guyot and Baldy to the right. The north end of the Town of Breck. The rock field lower left that I nearly broke myself on a few years ago. More recon. Lots of good coverage, but lots of opportunities for just covered rock fields tomorrow in the new 4 - 8 inches.

View attachment 62569

That mini movie from Strava is very cool. I will definitely check this out. Glad you and the tree did not become one. ;)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I skied LL this morning and was surprised when I was greeted by lots of well groomed corduroy. It's not often that LL has well groomed slopes, so clearly someone got enough sleep last night and got enthusiastic about building beautiful rivers of cord.

Other than that, the moguls were soft-ish and did bunch of laps on Scrub and Nix Nox. My quads are shot, but it's a good kind of shot. :)

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Tomorrow should be a "refreeze" kinda day so expect ROUGH conditions until enough snow covers the mess. Try to stick to north facing shaded aspects specially places that get smoothed over by the wind.
Nothing at the Basin is melting to refreeze. Will there be sastrugi? yes. Will there be Rocks sticking through? yes
You're over thinking it. Ride up look for nearby trees and head on in. Make it over to the Beavers for the best tree skiing in Summit County. I disagree with @Ken_R. I don't think you'll find any bad snow at the Basin. A lot rocks? Probably....welcome to the basin.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Nothing at the Basin is melting to refreeze. Will there be sastrugi? yes. Will there be Rocks sticking through? yes

You're over thinking it. Ride up look for nearby trees and head on in. Make it over to the Beavers for the best tree skiing in Summit County. I disagree with @Ken_R. I don't think you'll find any bad snow at the Basin. A lot rocks? Probably....welcome to the basin.

The Beavers? Its terrible, no one should ski there

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I found some pretty crap skiing in the Beavers last week, with geib and ftm. I think we weren’t in the best place, but I would advise caution. I am hardly particular about rocks sticking up, but that was kinda shitty.

Reactions: nay

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Been having good days at the xxxx and perhaps all the ptex I've sacrificed will payoff tonight, we'll see. Lots of spots are bony as a trout farm but the zippers have set up nicely and most bumps chalky. Found some stashes of the last 4" and mopped it up like gravy with a biscuit. Finished not long after 1:00 with a run on a southish facer and it was rounding into fine shape. Seemed like cold air was moving in so I'm thinking at least most runs will be in at least fine shape in the morn...but for the trout.

I've heard tell of an imminent rope drop, also told it probably won't be very good.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Well, I found some pretty crap skiing in the Beavers last week, with geib and ftm. I think we weren’t in the best place, but I would advise caution. I am hardly particular about rocks sticking up, but that was kinda shitty.
That's good for you skiing:snowball:

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 62564

View attachment 62566

View attachment 62567

View attachment 62568

View attachment 62569

So Ski Tracks has definitely been having some problems with auto pausing this week. I have sent numerous files to their engineer who acknowledges the issue. In my case most of them have happened either at Pioneer Crossing or the base of Independence Chair. I have been skiing with some Breck guides this week and we end up at Pioneer Crossing for lunch (after exploring the Peak 7 alpine terrain). Never had this problem with SkiTracks before and I have been using it for about 5 years all over the country (from Killington to Lake Tahoe).

There is another app that has a direct link to Strava called Slopes that I have been using this week. Slopes hasn't had any auto-pause issues.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Luv Ridge Cat opens tomorrow with max forecast on east facing slopes.

7A24CD8D-7A4E-4804-9D1B-D842F8DE5C89.png 3E64F76A-AF26-41C7-932C-00FE6F8EFB1C.png

I was going, but got a terrible cancer diagnosis today for my sweet dog Zurich so staying put with him until Sunday, when he will come up with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online