• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have a question regarding Sunlight, I was only there once years ago with pretty bad snow but their trees looked really appealing -- Im picking up a loveland pass Thurs and am considering doing a day there sometime in the weekend. What might I expect looks like i may be in a thaw refreeze cycle with day temps high 30's

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Not bad out here today, @surfsnowgirl. A little snow. A little wind. Lots of layers. Enough fresh snow to cover up the tracks and crap underneath, but not enough to protect you from it. Practicing carving and finishing turns, at slow speed on green trail, my uphill ski found someone's track and tried to secede. Noises happened. Reminded myself that when you're the only food source on a trail, it's probably best to be quiet and not alert predators. Yes ... whole run to myself. Easy to look back at my tracks and see what I'm doing.

See you out here tomorrow.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I have a question regarding Sunlight, I was only there once years ago with pretty bad snow but their trees looked really appealing -- Im picking up a loveland pass Thurs and am considering doing a day there sometime in the weekend. What might I expect looks like i may be in a thaw refreeze cycle with day temps high 30's
I would be shocked if there were any significant areas affected by freeze thaw on Sunlight this time of year. Mostly north facing. @SBrown may know better

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I would be shocked if there were any significant areas affected by freeze thaw on Sunlight this time of year. Mostly north facing. @SBrown may know better

I am here now, in fact. Trees are almost ready. There is a lot of deep fresh snow in them, and they are open, but base could be about a foot deeper to make me feel better about skiing them. (We did ski them, but kind of picked around half the time.) Wouldn’t worry about freeze thaw in there, though.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I am here now, in fact. Trees are almost ready. There is a lot of deep fresh snow in them, and they are open, but base could be about a foot deeper to make me feel better about skiing them. (We did ski them, but kind of picked around half the time.) Wouldn’t worry about freeze thaw in there, though.

I was there with @SBrown. There was definitely no thawing today. This was my second day ever at Sunlight and the second powder day I’ve had there. I really like the place! As we skied the last run I kept thinking that a bit more snow and it would be about perfect for a small ski area. Wish it were closer to me!

3B668ED3-28AB-409E-9CB2-3AE6256910AD.jpeg F2B9EF97-E813-47A3-82F8-3578E935DB12.jpeg

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One more. Kinda fun perspective. This was on a run called Deception. Shortly after this photo I learned why. It starts off mellow then becomes really steep. It could use more snow though so this ended up being one of the runs we had to pick about but once it fills in it will be :drool:.
E790ABD6-39FE-40AA-B902-446483774F38.jpeg

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks so much for those responses!!

Those aspens are exactly what I'm talking about. Smaller mountains rock, I'll be hitting Cooper as well (beautiful mellow trees by the poma lift there)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Just before a rope drop at Breck.

IMG_20190108_115037493.jpg
Pikes peak is in the distance yet again. Yesterday it was silly windy. Today just kinda windy.

The snow was more blown away than blown in this time, but there were two outstanding runs. A run down Outlaw and below Picnic Table and this one. I entered in the shadow just lookers right of the prominent rocks almost center on the photo.

IMG_20190108_124837455.jpg

IMG_20190108_124850511_BURST018.jpg
Patrol had a nice run, too. His line is off to the right of the photo. He did a fast, SG run down a chute.

IMG_20190108_133318328.jpg
Walking back from the wrong bus stop. Oops.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A tale of two days -
Yesterday was quite the challenge with wind. I single handedly stopped two lifts. Peak 8 SuperConnect had to revert to diesel to get us off the lift. From there I went to chair 6 which went on hold as soon as I got off. Nevertheless the skiing was quite good. Spent a lot of time skiing chair lines as they were more or less protected from the wind.

Today was blue bird. Spent a lot of time on t-bar, Whales tail, magic carpet, ore bucket - IMG_2803.JPG IMG_2802.JPG

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Got out with daughters today at ABasin. Did the afternoon shift and really enjoyed the sunny weather. Did the same shift yesterday and it wasn't until our last run that we even saw Lenawee or the East Wall. Just white above the restaurant all afternoon. Today it was a different world up there.

ABasin_MeganM_BeaversLiftTop_20190108_14_57_25_Pro.jpg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Fun couple of days at Copper. I really love this mountain and could live off all runs off Timberline chair. Met up with @Jenny, Katy and their friends and skied our a$$es off. All the runs off Timberline are fantastic including a nice steep called The Moz.

Ice castles were amazing and Silverthorne is a cute town too.

@Drahtguy Kevin @SkiNurse sorry we didn't get to meet up. Next time as we'll be baaack!!

In highlands ranch next 2 days. Gonna chill today but headed to Meier headquarters tomorrow. We fly back friday.

FB_IMG_1547043212139.jpg FB_IMG_1547043216429.jpg FB_IMG_1547042924574.jpg FB_IMG_1547042931134.jpg IMG_20190109_061713_565.jpg IMG_20190109_061752_029.jpg FB_IMG_1547042811150.jpg FB_IMG_1547042821507.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1547042831942.jpg
    FB_IMG_1547042831942.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Observed sunrise in the rear view while doing 77 on 76, not long after, the purple mountain's majesty was revealed. Arrived at the hill I shall not name about 9:30 on a Tuesday. They were parking the x-xxx as tight as the mall at a Sears liquidation sale....on a Tuesday. SMH. Ikon?

Outstanding early season, right? I've been watching the snow pack go from 150% of normal to 109% but after one day I would have told you that we're solidly in the double digits. Lots of sketchy coverage.

Snow was tricky fosho, left over styrofoam. I was on skinny skis, brought a knife to a steamroller fight. Up top was socked in the first time I arrived so I employed my usual tactic of keeping the out of bounds rope immediately to my right...... and found myself surrounded by sastrugi. Exit stage left.

Did just one lap to check out the new glading in the xxxxx xxxx area. More investigation is required but it was seeming pretty wide open to me.

Ikon did encourage me to get a couple of days before I left the mitten so today was 1/3.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I’m interested in the local ski area bars for an après bevy or two as much as the skiing

Any beta would be appreciated. Thanks!

Guanella Pass Brewery in Georgetown is a locals après spot for Loveland. Good beers and vibe.

That does take you 10 miles east down I-70 and probably not worth it unless it’s a weekday with no traffic. They have Tommyknocker root beer for kiddos, too.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun couple of days at Copper. I really love this mountain and could live off all runs off Timberline chair. Met up with @Jenny, Katy and their friends and skied our a$$es off. All the runs off Timberline are fantastic including a nice steep called The Moz.

Ice castles were amazing and Silverthorne is a cute town too.

@Drahtguy Kevin @SkiNurse sorry we didn't get to meet up. Next time as we'll be baaack!!

In highlands ranch next 2 days. Gonna chill today but headed to Meier headquarters tomorrow. We fly back friday.

View attachment 62472 View attachment 62473 View attachment 62474 View attachment 62475 View attachment 62476 View attachment 62477 View attachment 62478 View attachment 62479

Sorry we didn't get to meet up - I was looking for you in this picture of Copper taken from the top of Breckenridge
IMG_2804.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.