Colorado 2018-19 Colorado Weather and Stoke

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by nay, Aug 17, 2018.

1. surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl Instructor, newbie Subaru driver and winter lover Skier

Already switched to tomorrow it will be.

2. Kemperski

Kemperski Booting up Skier

I have a question regarding Sunlight, I was only there once years ago with pretty bad snow but their trees looked really appealing -- Im picking up a loveland pass Thurs and am considering doing a day there sometime in the weekend. What might I expect looks like i may be in a thaw refreeze cycle with day temps high 30's

3. VickieH

VickieH Out on the slopes Skier

Not bad out here today, @surfsnowgirl. A little snow. A little wind. Lots of layers. Enough fresh snow to cover up the tracks and crap underneath, but not enough to protect you from it. Practicing carving and finishing turns, at slow speed on green trail, my uphill ski found someone's track and tried to secede. Noises happened. Reminded myself that when you're the only food source on a trail, it's probably best to be quiet and not alert predators. Yes ... whole run to myself. Easy to look back at my tracks and see what I'm doing.

See you out here tomorrow.

UGASkiDawg and surfsnowgirl like this.
  4. UGASkiDawg

UGASkiDawg AKA David Pugski Ski Tester

I would be shocked if there were any significant areas affected by freeze thaw on Sunlight this time of year. Mostly north facing. @SBrown may know better

5. SBrown

SBrown Steve Admin Pugski Ski Tester

I am here now, in fact. Trees are almost ready. There is a lot of deep fresh snow in them, and they are open, but base could be about a foot deeper to make me feel better about skiing them. (We did ski them, but kind of picked around half the time.) Wouldn’t worry about freeze thaw in there, though.

coskigirl likes this.

6. coskigirl

coskigirl Making fresh tracks Skier

I was there with @SBrown. There was definitely no thawing today. This was my second day ever at Sunlight and the second powder day I’ve had there. I really like the place! As we skied the last run I kept thinking that a bit more snow and it would be about perfect for a small ski area. Wish it were closer to me!

3B668ED3-28AB-409E-9CB2-3AE6256910AD.jpeg F2B9EF97-E813-47A3-82F8-3578E935DB12.jpeg

mikel, skix, Freaq and 2 others like this.
  7. coskigirl

coskigirl Making fresh tracks Skier

One more. Kinda fun perspective. This was on a run called Deception. Shortly after this photo I learned why. It starts off mellow then becomes really steep. It could use more snow though so this ended up being one of the runs we had to pick about but once it fills in it will be :drool:.
    E790ABD6-39FE-40AA-B902-446483774F38.jpeg

Phelmut, Mike King and Ken_R like this.
  8. Mike King

Mike King AKA Habacomike Instructor

One of these days, I've got to try Sunlight out.

Mike

SkiNurse likes this.
  9. Kemperski

Kemperski Booting up Skier

Thanks so much for those responses!!

Those aspens are exactly what I'm talking about. Smaller mountains rock, I'll be hitting Cooper as well (beautiful mellow trees by the poma lift there)

10. VickieH

VickieH Out on the slopes Skier

Today at Copper
    20190108_113625.jpg

mikel, dbostedo, Shawn C. and 4 others like this.
  11. SkiNurse

SkiNurse Spontaneous Christy Pugski Ski Tester

VickieH and coskigirl like this.
  12. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs Skiing the powder Pugski Ski Tester Industry Insider

Just before a rope drop at Breck.

IMG_20190108_115037493.jpg
    Pikes peak is in the distance yet again. Yesterday it was silly windy. Today just kinda windy.

The snow was more blown away than blown in this time, but there were two outstanding runs. A run down Outlaw and below Picnic Table and this one. I entered in the shadow just lookers right of the prominent rocks almost center on the photo.

IMG_20190108_124837455.jpg

IMG_20190108_124850511_BURST018.jpg
    Patrol had a nice run, too. His line is off to the right of the photo. He did a fast, SG run down a chute.

IMG_20190108_133318328.jpg
    Walking back from the wrong bus stop. Oops.

mikel, aveski, Ken_R and 7 others like this.
  13. Wannabeskibum

Wannabeskibum Putting on skis Skier

I think I found those too!

Monique likes this.
  14. Wannabeskibum

A tale of two days -
    Yesterday was quite the challenge with wind. I single handedly stopped two lifts. Peak 8 SuperConnect had to revert to diesel to get us off the lift. From there I went to chair 6 which went on hold as soon as I got off. Nevertheless the skiing was quite good. Spent a lot of time skiing chair lines as they were more or less protected from the wind.

Today was blue bird. Spent a lot of time on t-bar, Whales tail, magic carpet, ore bucket - IMG_2803.JPG IMG_2802.JPG

Monique, mikel, nay and 2 others like this.
  15. skix

skix Getting on the lift Skier

Got out with daughters today at ABasin. Did the afternoon shift and really enjoyed the sunny weather. Did the same shift yesterday and it wasn't until our last run that we even saw Lenawee or the East Wall. Just white above the restaurant all afternoon. Today it was a different world up there.

ABasin_MeganM_BeaversLiftTop_20190108_14_57_25_Pro.jpg

mikel, nay, Ken_R and 2 others like this.
  16. surfsnowgirl

Fun couple of days at Copper. I really love this mountain and could live off all runs off Timberline chair. Met up with @Jenny, Katy and their friends and skied our a$$es off. All the runs off Timberline are fantastic including a nice steep called The Moz.

Ice castles were amazing and Silverthorne is a cute town too.

@Drahtguy Kevin @SkiNurse sorry we didn't get to meet up. Next time as we'll be baaack!!

In highlands ranch next 2 days. Gonna chill today but headed to Meier headquarters tomorrow. We fly back friday.

FB_IMG_1547043212139.jpg FB_IMG_1547043216429.jpg FB_IMG_1547042924574.jpg FB_IMG_1547042931134.jpg IMG_20190109_061713_565.jpg IMG_20190109_061752_029.jpg FB_IMG_1547042811150.jpg FB_IMG_1547042821507.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  17. Freaq

Freaq Pretends to be local Skier

Observed sunrise in the rear view while doing 77 on 76, not long after, the purple mountain's majesty was revealed. Arrived at the hill I shall not name about 9:30 on a Tuesday. They were parking the x-xxx as tight as the mall at a Sears liquidation sale....on a Tuesday. SMH. Ikon?

Outstanding early season, right? I've been watching the snow pack go from 150% of normal to 109% but after one day I would have told you that we're solidly in the double digits. Lots of sketchy coverage.

Snow was tricky fosho, left over styrofoam. I was on skinny skis, brought a knife to a steamroller fight. Up top was socked in the first time I arrived so I employed my usual tactic of keeping the out of bounds rope immediately to my right...... and found myself surrounded by sastrugi. Exit stage left.

Did just one lap to check out the new glading in the xxxxx xxxx area. More investigation is required but it was seeming pretty wide open to me.

Ikon did encourage me to get a couple of days before I left the mitten so today was 1/3.

mikel, SkiNurse and Noodler like this.
  18. Thread Starter
    TS
    nay

nay dirt heel pusher Skier

Guanella Pass Brewery in Georgetown is a locals apres spot for Loveland. Good beers and vibe.

That does take you 10 miles east down I-70 and probably not worth it unless it’s a weekday with no traffic. They have Tommyknocker root beer for kiddos, too.

19. Wannabeskibum

Sorry we didn't get to meet up - I was looking for you in this picture of Copper taken from the top of Breckenridge
    IMG_2804.JPG

Phelmut likes this.
  20. surfsnowgirl

Lol it's because I wasn't wearing my bright orange pants this time :). I'm sorry we didn't get to meet up. Hopefully we can take some turns together at the beast, we'll get the spring pass mid march.