• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a nice couple of hours at Eldora this afternoon. The lines were obnoxious so I didn’t get much skiing in but it was good to be out. My boot heaters were extremely rude and failed on me in temps around 12 degrees so I just ordered new ones. I’m jumping from the Hotronic ship and trying Thermic with the remote control.

F8641DB1-64E1-4833-8F59-DF73ED9BD6B9.jpeg 54EE03E7-28E4-47A2-A420-97CCAE9A4F37.jpeg 1C027A7A-2B3E-43F2-9AA0-454E1289BF1B.jpeg

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
With all this deep early season snow, I’ve seen a lot of people getting out and skiing the closed resorts. Do people follow usual backcountry protocol when doing that (ie pit tests, beacons, buddies)? Or is that overkill when keeping it to greens and blues?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
With all this deep early season snow, I’ve seen a lot of people getting out and skiing the closed resorts. Do people follow usual backcountry protocol when doing that (ie pit tests, beacons, buddies)? Or is that overkill when keeping it to greens and blues?

You should treat them exactly like you treat any other backcountry. If you are comfortable without pits/beacons/buddies on mellow terrain in backcountry otherwise, closed resorts are no different. But many closed resorts have lots of lurking down wood, surprising amounts of avalanche terrain, and limited cell service should something go wrong.

Personally, I never head out in backcountry terrain without a beacon, shovel and probe. It is just a habit I never want to break. But I have been known to ski solo, terrain that I know well and is mellow enough to, for my risk profile, do so safely.

As for pits. Pits can tell you not to ski something. But never that something is good to go. Many people over rate their efficacy. A dozen small hasty pits or handsheers is probably more useful then one big pit.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
You should treat them exactly like you treat any other backcountry. If you are comfortable without pits/beacons/buddies on mellow terrain in backcountry otherwise, closed resorts are no different. But many closed resorts have lots of lurking down wood, surprising amounts of avalanche terrain, and limited cell service should something go wrong.

Personally, I never head out in backcountry terrain without a beacon, shovel and probe. It is just a habit I never want to break. But I have been known to ski solo, terrain that I know well and is mellow enough to, for my risk profile, do so safely.

As for pits. Pits can tell you not to ski something. But never that something is good to go. Many people over rate their efficacy. A dozen small hasty pits or handsheers is probably more useful then one big pit.

Good point about pits.

Yeah, I would treat it like bc too. Out of curiosity, what equates to “mellow” enough to ski solo? Below 25° (With a stable snowpack and no steep terrain above)?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

The visible front side of Vail is totally tracked out!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Good point about pits.

Yeah, I would treat it like bc too. Out of curiosity, what equates to “mellow” enough to ski solo? Below 25° (With a stable snowpack and no steep terrain above)?

Snowpack in Colorado is mostly mid winter like in most zones that have good snow right now. That means junk snow at the ground of most slopes facing N to E in the compass with a variety of slabs / crusts above. All that = Persistent Slabs which are deadly. So, me personally I avoid all slopes that are 30º or more. I generally stay in slopes 25º or less. That is plenty steep to get a lot of speed even in deep powder.

Even a small slope can slide and bury you so be weary during approaches and traverses. Road cuts can be traps. Distance is your friend so just veer away from any steep slope that fits the characteristics mentioned above. Give them plenty of space.

The huge risk is not worth it. There are always line choices that will keep you MUCH safer.

Regarding the resorts, MOST runs at ski areas are well below 30º steepness. Know which spots are not and you are good. The comments above apply as well.

Reactions: nay

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This NOAA video is the best explanation of El Nino and La Nina and how it is expected to impact CO weather.

WinterOutlook_2018-2019.mp4

What I got out of that: neither El Nino nor La Nina have *that* much impact on I-70 Colorado.

(several edits)

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
That's correct! a 30% chance of increased moisture for the southern region but otherwise, its pretty neutral.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, bummer about this past weekend's storm. I was figuring Luv would get 6"+.

I wouldn't worry about Luv. They were on the news again today talking about how they are 40"+ better than last season and the only other season in recent years to come close to what a good start they are having this season was back in 1995. It will be interesting to see how much snow we get this weekend. I think right now they are going with a repeat of last weekend.

Here is a snipit of the 9News story by Matt Renu
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Breck opened Horseshoe Bowl today, serviced by 6 Chair. Some people hiked up a bit but most just skied Contest or traversed across. I did a run in Outlaw, one in Brill's and one down the main line. Two of those runs ended with veritable powder in Porcupine (the area below Horseshoe proper and above Columbine.)

20181113_134554.jpg
Lots of avy debris from Patrol.

20181113_140538.jpg
Contest didn't slide but got used up fast. This is right down the middle (skier's left of Brill's) There were a couple of lanes through the avy debris. This wasn't one of them. There is a large block of snow with a guy standing on it below. Porcupine is the area below/behind the trees in the middle.

20181113_140542.jpg
Looking back up. Ya, that's Martin. T-bar was spinning but not loading.

20181113_140545.jpg
Looking south.

20181113_140551.jpg
Baldy.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Breck opened Horseshoe Bowl today, serviced by 6 Chair. Some people hiked up a bit but most just skied Contest or traversed across. I did a run in Outlaw, one in Brill's and one down the main line. Two of those runs ended with veritable powder in Porcupine (the area below Horseshoe proper and above Columbine.)

View attachment 58112
Lots of avy debris from Patrol.

View attachment 58111
Contest didn't slide but got used up fast. This is right down the middle (skier's left of Brill's) There were a couple of lanes through the avy debris. This wasn't one of them. There is a large block of snow with a guy standing on it below. Porcupine is the area below/behind the trees in the middle.

View attachment 58110
Looking back up. Ya, that's Martin. T-bar was spinning but not loading.

View attachment 58109
Looking south.

View attachment 58108
Baldy.

OMG.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Alright Pugsters in CO. Got a week booked at timeshare in Avon 1-8 December (not close to LL, but free). Gonna pick up my LL pass and ski three days there and a day at Ski Cooper. With all your vast knowledge of early season CO and the vibes you're getting so far this year, where should I buy a day ticket to for my 5th ski day? A-Basin ($65 on liftopia including a bloody mary) Copper? Keystone? Walk across to Beaver Creek? First trip of the season, so not looking for too much black stuff, but mainly looking for blue cruisers to get my legs back into the game. If I'm driving more than an hour, I'd probably just make the trip down to Monarch as it's Powder Alliance too. Your suggestions are appreciated!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Alright Pugsters in CO. Got a week booked at timeshare in Avon 1-8 December (not close to LL, but free). Gonna pick up my LL pass and ski three days there and a day at Ski Cooper. With all your vast knowledge of early season CO and the vibes you're getting so far this year, where should I buy a day ticket to for my 5th ski day? A-Basin ($65 on liftopia including a bloody mary) Copper? Keystone? Walk across to Beaver Creek? First trip of the season, so not looking for too much black stuff, but mainly looking for blue cruisers to get my legs back into the game. If I'm driving more than an hour, I'd probably just make the trip down to Monarch as it's Powder Alliance too. Your suggestions are appreciated!

Abasin.

But keep your eye on Sunlight. They may open early and are on the Loveland pass. Right now opening day is the 8th, which could be fun. It's an easy drive from Avon, no traffic, and a cool local mountain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor