• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@jmeb look up at porcupine. That was a pretty big release. If you do take the chair up 6 the only way down is thru the trees far skiers right. Lots of untracked soft snow in there but there are some land mines for sure. Boarders that didn't have their speed up when they hit that flat meadow got a little walking in. ogsmile

I'm not sure why roulette wasn't open.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...Boarders that didn't have their speed up when they hit that flat meadow got a little walking in. ogsmile

Or, say, skiers who were at LL for the first time last season and didn't realize there was a big flat meadow in the middle of some nice tree runs? Of course, at least I could skate and pole... it must suck to be a snowboarder sometimes. :cool: :D

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
An excellent documentary was released a few days ago about the development of the high alpine terrain at Breck during the last 30 years. Includes some great video clips from the 1970's and 1980's about early hike-and-ski activity in the bowls, such as by C.J. Mueller ("Crazy John") and friends.

C.J. is still on the mountain, lives in Breck, and he's the namesake for C.J.s run off Peak 7 summit.

Last edited:

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
In lower elevation news, they were working hard at the Beav yesterday:

View attachment 57715

View attachment 57717

View attachment 57716

They are off to a zillion times better start this year, but elevation still matters.

The low elevation of Beaver Creek really hurts them. All but 3 of there lifts start below 9k feet and 7 start between 8400 and 7400.

I can't think of any other Colorado ski area that is so low-elevation snow dependent. For example, Vail is next door and only has 5 lifts that start below 9k and 16 that start above 9k. (all numbers exclude beginner-only lifts) All summit county lifts start above 9k. Maybe Steamboat is the next worse with all but 4 lifts starting below 9k, although they are quite a bit further north which helps.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
An excellent documentary was released a few days ago about the development of the high alpine terrain at Breck during the last 30 years. Includes some great video clips from the 1970's and 1980's about early hike-and-ski activity in the bowls, such as by C.J. Mueller ("Crazy John") and friends.

C.J. is still on the mountain, lives in Breck, and he's the namesake for C.J.s run off Peak 7 summit.

That video and this poster are the only times you'll see C.J. wearing a helmet.

IMG_20181111_132009013.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That Breck video was really good. I'd like to see something similar about a lot of other resorts. Thanks for posting it @BTaylor !

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier

Cool video. Breck was mostly very easy runs in the 80's but it's completely different now with great expert terrain. Makes me wonder:

Which is the better mountain for expert skiers: Breck or Abasin? I think Breck was the clear leader since peak 6 opened but I haven't been back to Abasin since the beavers opened up.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Breck today had fantastic snow and the predictable lift lines. I serendipitously saw a friend. We skied together, likely more runs than we would have solo.

A couple of Sprigmeyer, then five laps of Northstar. The whole width was bumped up. Friendly bumps and few people, so I got good practice.

High A and friends were open, but I just wanted to get my ski legs today.

It started snowing more seriously as I got onto the gondola.

Oh! The Breck dog park had better coverage than it had all last season (maybe one or two exceptions).

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Well looks like this storm busted up high - looking generally under 1”, except for Eldora at 4”+ being further down into the foothills.

I guess we’ll see what else can open this week before Thanksgiving and then hopefully we get another MJO cycle at the end of the month.

Doesn’t seem like any abnormally warm temps to cause melt with the low sun angle...

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
You'll be in the area for our annual A-basin for Mother's Day, but we're doing it the weekend before mother's day.
I didn't know the weekend had moved. I figured I'd be able to attend some of the preliminary festivities but not the main part of the gathering. I thought i read that a few puggers helped close down Loveland last season. Would be interested in pitching in for one of their huts.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Cool video. Breck was mostly very easy runs in the 80's but it's completely different now with great expert terrain. Makes me wonder:

Which is the better mountain for expert skiers: Breck or Abasin? I think Breck was the clear leader since peak 6 opened but I haven't been back to Abasin since the beavers opened up.

While the Beavers is expert, the only really dicey stuff is The Steep Chutes.

With Montezuma, East Wall, Pali and Steep Chutes the areas are somewhat comparable in amounts and range of technical terrain. Breck's Lake Chutes, 6th Sense, Horseshoe Bowl and Peak 7 are all easy access, little or no hiking required so they get more people in over their head, I think. I live in Breck and ski Breck all the time it is open. I ski the Basin when Breck is closed so can only compare what I ski season round at Breck with what I ski in the spring at the Basin. I like both and find challenges in both.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
While the Beavers is expert, the only really dicey stuff is The Steep Chutes.

With Montezuma, East Wall, Pali and Steep Chutes the areas are somewhat comparable in amounts and range of technical terrain. Breck's Lake Chutes, 6th Sense, Horseshoe Bowl and Peak 7 are all easy access, little or no hiking required so they get more people in over their head, I think. I live in Breck and ski Breck all the time it is open. I ski the Basin when Breck is closed so can only compare what I ski season round at Breck with what I ski in the spring at the Basin. I like both and find challenges in both.

Breck's Alpine is awesome. I love it. Some steep runs in that zone are longer than anything in A Basin. At least they feel that way. They are more exposed to wind though. There is a reason the nickname Brekenwind exists.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
It was dumping in the Rollins Pass Area this morning. Quick skin up to check it out with a friend. Coverage is still a bit too thin for me in the steeper areas. One more good storm should fix that.

IMG_3038.jpeg

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
It was dumping in the Rollins Pass Area this morning. Quick skin up to check it out with a friend. Coverage is still a bit too thin for me in the steeper areas. One more good storm should fix that.

View attachment 57856

Nice. This up by Moffat tunnel or the WP side? Looking for a place to make a few low angle turns tomorrow.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Nice. This up by Moffat tunnel or the WP side? Looking for a place to make a few low angle turns tomorrow.

Moffat, East Portal. Its not worth going yet. Needs more snow. Its almost there though. We just skinned up to the trail intersection towards the lakes and went down. I didnt feel like risking it.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Moffat, East Portal. Its not worth going yet. Needs more snow. Its almost there though. We just skinned up to the trail intersection towards the lakes and went down. I didnt feel like risking it.

Appreciate the beta. I like that this thread is becoming more and more useful for backcountry updates.

Sounds like we're going to check out Trelease and maybe another little-talked about area up around there. All exploratory at this point. Every skin has to be with the realization you might not make any good turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online