• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
It's remarkable how much melting happened the week it warmed up a bit. Sure didn't seem like it.

adfe9bc8-39fd-41f0-9a41-95ad7622d67d-jpeg.74533

That was the shot across the bow to remind us to get out and get it while the getting's good! The cliff is coming before we know it.

I think this Snotel can be a little bit deceiving, because it probably isn’t on north facing terrain. If you look at all the years, the graph goes to zero typically 2 weeks before A-Basin closes. And of course there is no man made groomer base that lasts longer.

Still, as soon as we pivot to typical continental climate June weather, the snowpack can lose upwards of 4” per day. Which is why July 4th is still out of reach unless we get cold spells. 2011 barely made it, and that year had 50% more base heading into June than we have now.

Also...another extension weekend announced.

80BEEF19-E924-4C13-B2B5-AEA684B6CD77.jpeg

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Breck high alpine was very nice today. They got a few inches of snow last night and everything was soft and/or chalky.

No moguls to speak of here at Breck. I saw a few brown ones under independence chair late in the day - not worth skiing.

Breck again tomorrow and Breck or Abasin Sunday.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great slush bumps at A-basin for the first day of summer break!

Taking a break on a bump she thought looked like a chair:

IMG_20190524_154805_1.jpg

Plenty of bumps, but not enough parking. I can't wait for the Epic parking mess to be gone. Good riddance.

The idea of getting up early for spring skiing just to find a parking spot is ridiculous.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I love seeing tweets like this.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Here’s Al’s current assessment. I think they are going to make it to June 23rd and that will be it based on snowpack levels.

I’m just hoping to get a day this week before I travel again and a day the weekend of the 15th. Those are my last two lift served unless the season is extended further.

90A9BF65-9F11-466A-B8A0-9793202EC66F.jpeg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Another bountiful day at Breck.
IMG_20190525_130233516.jpg
Peak 6 hike to terrain (not sure about South Col) was open. I didn't venture a lap there. Peak 8 hike to was not open. George's, Whale's Tail and beyond were open. They were choppy and a bit firm. Wonderland, yet again, fulfilled my wishes for fun steep terrain.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Thinking about heading to A-Basin tomorrow. Anyone there today that can report on the conditions? Is the East Wall open?

Everything but the steep gullies is open! Things were refrozen until about 11 and then everything got soft very fast. Great spring skiing everywhere. I didn’t hike up to the upper east wall, but I was talking to some people who said about the top 1/3 or so was wintery snow.

Parking did fill up and they were running the shuttle down to Keystone. Ideal would be to ski about 10:30 - 1:30 but you definitely can’t expect to roll in at 10:30 and be able to park this weekend, it seems. I rolled in at about 8:15 and was 3rd row in the upper lot.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Next storm coming in Monday night, with potentially heavy snow. A reset to the melt cycle again at least.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Well that didnt last long.

Unsettled weather is back here in Colorado.

Big storms rolled through town and the temps went down.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
There is so much snow in the high country. Astounding. Spent the last few nights in the Whale's peak / Gibson lake basin. Lines are filled in that I've never seen in tons and tons of photos.

Sadly, weak freezes in the 10-12'000 made for a ton of natural avalanche activity.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great spring day Sunday at A-basin with firm in the morning to slush in the afternoon.

IMG_20190526_115020.jpg

Dust and wet slides on West Zuma today. Much more dust showing all over than Friday. Did it just fly in or did it melt down to the dust? The forecast cold and snow this week is needed to stretch out the season.

I might be back up tomorrow for some Memorial Day afternoon bumps if lightning doesn't look too bad. Anybody wanna ski some hopefully slush bumps? Ramrod was great.

Last edited:
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Great spring day Sunday at A-basin with firm in the morning to slush in the afternoon.

View attachment 74693

Dust and wet slides on West Zuma today. Much more dust showing all over than Friday. Did it just fly in or did it melt down to the dust? The forecast cold and snow this week is needed to stretch out the season.

I might be back up tomorrow for some Memorial Day afternoon bumps if lightning doesn't look too bad. Anybody wanna ski some hopefully slush bumps? Ramrod was great.

Zuma was dusty last time I was back there a couple weeks ago. Suspect that’s just blowing in on SW flow from lower elevations nearby that are dry since we aren’t seeing much dust generally elsewhere.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So glad I went up. Wasn't sure of the weather, but it's getting to now or never time. Now was great!

On the way up, these bikepackers on Loveland Pass got the tough guy of the day awards. Bad timing for a pretty serious squall to come by near the top:

IMG_20190527_132614 (1).jpg

Mixed weather all afternoon brought both snow and sunshine, but great spring skiing on Pali. Clouds, snow, and wind were good to keep it from getting too sloppy.

The mountain looked really pretty on the way home:

IMG_20190527_162911_1.jpg

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Ramrod bumps at abasin were really nice Sunday afternoon. Pali face and exhibition were also very good. Glad we made the trip and fortunate to have skied so late this season. No more trips this year...until next season! I really enjoyed both Breck and Abasin. Different experiences at each - both fantastic.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mini-review of Dabrim Rezzo. I've been using this sun brim the last few days at A-basin and like it!

IMG_20190527_142713.jpg
IMG_20190527_142706.jpg

It does a fantastic job keeping the sun off your face. Yeah, there was sun today!

My biggest concern I would look like a dork, but I got three unsolicited compliments from A-basin lift ops. They always tell the truth. ogsmile

My second biggest concern was how it does in the wind. It stayed on fine in combined high winds and high-speed cruising yesterday. I had to tighten my helmet a bit, but not uncomfortably, so probably needed it anyway. I also had to control the pitch of the visor in the worst conditions cruising fast in 30ish mph winds. It moved my helmet around a bit if it was at the wrong angle, but didn't if kept at the correct angle. It's easy to pull off if you want, as it's held on by velcro.

http://www.dabrim.com/html/products/snowsport/rezzo.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online