• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
One thing I was remarking on yesterday was that even though it's more crowded these days, I still have stashes that remain stashes. Of course, lucking into the East Wall rope drop always helps.

Yeah, most people just pound the main lines over and over and over... They get destroyed in 2 seconds... meanwhile in other, more secluded areas...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I don't see Breck having any problem keeping the high alpine bowls open through June 9. The lower runs back to Peak 7 Base may become a bottleneck in June, though they are currently in excellent shape courtesy of this week's 13 inches.

North Bowl runs and Debbies Alley off of the T-Bar had heavy snow today---but fantastic coverage. Decent stashes can be found in the trees. No waits at any of the lifts---except for the occasional lift hold for alpine visibility or for completion of avy work.

View attachment 74497

:eek: There is no one there. Nice! :golfclap:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I was there.

I missed out on yesterday but was rewarded for my dedication with first non-patroller in Horseshoe this morning with glorious creamy snow.

IMG_20190522_103006433.jpg

More runs in the bowl, then upper mountain and a quiet couple of runs on Powder 8s, CJs and Y Chute ridge.

Then onto Peak 6 hike to and some Wonderland laps.

IMG_20190522_134910501.jpg
IMG_20190522_134900141_HDR.jpg
#plugthepug The Renoun Citadels were strong in all the conditions that were encountered today.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier

I would love, LOVE to have access to Breck's skier/rider data for this week. And especially what it would show for where on the three open peaks people are spending most of their time. My guess? It feels like half of the people on the mountain at any one time this week are in the high alpine. On a day like today---decent visibility, the Imperial Express running, all the gates and hiking paths open, wind not a limiting factor---you end up with LOTS of room in the bowls, run after run.

I will never get to ski the private Yellowstone Club. Maybe this is a taste of what it's like? ogsmile

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
ABasin was so much fun during this past storm. It’s truly amazing it’s late May and they have an 80” base. Winter snow everywhere (until the sun got it). Didn’t see a soul in the west glades of The Beavers all morning yesterday.

Had my own Private Breck last week. It’s skiing amazing as well. The whole Ten Mile Range is plastered.

Why so quiet though? Do people just not know it’s open?

Attachments

• 44C5D80C-EA96-4DF1-82F8-AF963CF9F0C9.jpeg
    44C5D80C-EA96-4DF1-82F8-AF963CF9F0C9.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 7

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
ABasin was so much fun during this past storm. It’s truly amazing it’s late May and they have an 80” base. Winter snow everywhere (until the sun got it). Didn’t see a soul in the west glades of The Beavers all morning yesterday.

Had my own Private Breck last week. It’s skiing amazing as well. The whole Ten Mile Range is plastered.

This is the dilemma that we have discussed for years: why do people stop skiing in April? In the past, A-Basin has been the only game around to take the non-quitters. This year with two options in the immediate area (more if you count the outlier locations that are opening for weekends), I suspect that the same number of people are out there, just more dispersed.

The Basin usually has had to close a lot more terrain than they have open now, so it would appear less crowded now than in previous years regardless of Breck being open. Breck has so much space that crowding is vitually non-existent. I know that t-bar had a bit of line two days ago (9" reported) but the largest I saw yesterday was before it opened and it was only about 40 people. Yesterday was excellent: good vis, (nearly) perfect cloud cover for snow preservation and fresh lines from start to finish (around 3 for me).

The numbers are important but what the ski areas decide following their evaluation of the secret numbers will be more important. Will Breck feel they got enough business for the expenses they incurred to repeat a late season next year? That's what I want to know.

FWIW, I've been going to Breck to ski (I live in town) rather than going to the Basin as I've done in the past. It is so much easier for me.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This is the dilemma that we have discussed for years: why do people stop skiing in April? In the past, A-Basin has been the only game around to take the non-quitters. This year with two options in the immediate area (more if you count the outlier locations that are opening for weekends), I suspect that the same number of people are out there, just more dispersed.

The Basin usually has had to close a lot more terrain than they have open now, so it would appear less crowded now than in previous years regardless of Breck being open. Breck has so much space that crowding is vitually non-existent. I know that t-bar had a bit of line two days ago (9" reported) but the largest I saw yesterday was before it opened and it was only about 40 people. Yesterday was excellent: good vis, (nearly) perfect cloud cover for snow preservation and fresh lines from start to finish (around 3 for me).

The numbers are important but what the ski areas decide following their evaluation of the secret numbers will be more important. Will Breck feel they got enough business for the expenses they incurred to repeat a late season next year? That's what I want to know.

FWIW, I've been going to Breck to ski (I live in town) rather than going to the Basin as I've done in the past. It is so much easier for me.

With the Epic pass still good at A Basin until the end of this season Breck wont know the real numbers until after next season. A-Basin is still as crowded as ever. Even with the Beavers it still feels pretty crowded on the hill.

Breck, without the Gondola operating, is just not nearly as convenient as ABasin. Even with the Gondola A Basin wins in convenience.

That said, on an average year Breck will probably have more fun terrain open until late.

So, its going to be interesting what happens next.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Unfortunately the Gondola will never run for late season at Breck. The bus isn't that bad although they do like to fill it up, for better or worse. Since I don't have to drive to get to Breck it is far more convenient for me than the Basin. Time will tell.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Both will be much busier over the weekend. I'm worried about finding parking at A-basin Friday through Monday this Memorial Day weekend. Should we get up early, or just come late?

Weekdays get really quiet come April after spring break ends. There are few if any visitors, so all of us working schmucks are mostly just skiing on the weekends.

Weekdays at Copper the last two weeks of the season were also like having a private resort. Other than ski patrol we were the only people in Copper and Spaulding Bowls numerous times. Then Friday-Sunday it picked up substantially. Huge difference between weekdays and weekends.

I'd love to see Copper also stay open through May. I'd hope they could make money running the Eagle and Xcellerator Friday through Sunday with the Ikon reimbursement from Alterra. Aspen is the only Colorado resort where Ikon Pass holder can ski this weekend, and they had nowhere to go last weekend.

Here's the base of Copper this morning:

1558623728378.jpg

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Both will be much busier over the weekend. I'm worried about finding parking at A-basin Friday through Monday this Memorial Day weekend. Should we get up early, or just come late?

Weekdays get really quiet come April after spring break ends. There are few if any visitors, so all of us working schmucks are mostly just skiing on the weekends.

Weekdays at Copper the last two weeks of the season were also like having a private resort. Other than ski patrol we were the only people in Copper and Spaulding Bowls numerous times. Then Friday-Sunday it picked up substantially. Huge difference between weekdays and weekends.

I'd love to see Copper also stay open through May. I'd hope they could make money running the Eagle and Xcellerator Friday through Sunday with the Ikon reimbursement from Alterra. Aspen is the only Colorado resort where Ikon Pass holder can ski this weekend, and they had nowhere to go last weekend.

Here's the base of Copper this morning:

View attachment 74530
Well that's not happening until after the new Solitude is finished which won't be till at minimum May 2021.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
@BTaylor and @Doug Briggs - I'll be heading to Breck tonight, staying through Sunday. Are there any good slushy mogul runs at Breck open now? I know A-basin has a couple good ones with Pali and Ramrod/Exhibition. We're staying at Breck base, so easier for us to ski that vs. trek to A-basin. Thanks for any input!

I also love Whale's Tail and Horseshoe, but would like to do some slush moguls if they can be found...

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well that's not happening until after the new Solitude is finished which won't be till at minimum May 2021.
I was thinking the same then, but I'm not sure how much work they can do in the month of May, especially if there is this much snow.

Probably wishful thinking, but I'd think they could operate weekends through mid-May next year to get the message out, then until the bitter end, like A-basin, after the new Solitude is complete. It would be fantastic for the resort and businesses in the village to have some life up there through mud season.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Under winter weather advisory again today.

A125FC48-FE3A-4B2C-B80C-E8F2173C492F.jpeg

And looking at comparison years, we’re getting into rarified air. 2011 had this much base 2 weeks from now, but that’s the only year to catch now over the last decade.

ADFE9BC8-39FD-41F0-9A41-95AD7622D67D.jpeg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Under winter weather advisory again today.

View attachment 74532

And looking at comparison years, we’re getting into rarified air. 2011 had this much base 2 weeks from now, but that’s the only year to catch now over the last decade.

View attachment 74533

I remember 2010-2011 vividly. It was amazing. I think A Basin hit 100-110” base.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

I mean, for me, after a (typical) winter filled with driving I-70 every weekend, getting too little sleep, and ever-increasing "chore debt" from time not spent at the house, I just need the down time. The last five or six years, spring skiing just hasn't treated me well - the occasional corn and perfect slush isn't worth the rock hard surface and the heavy snow, which punishes the flaws in my technique. I've had *some* sort of knee issue, even if it was minor, every time I skied through late spring. There's planting the veggie garden and all the yard chores; getting my bike out there; sleeping in and occasionally going out for breakfast. I love mid winter snow, but I'm just not that jazzed by the Easter egg hunt for good spring snow.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's remarkable how much melting happened the week it warmed up a bit. Sure didn't seem like it.

adfe9bc8-39fd-41f0-9a41-95ad7622d67d-jpeg.74533

That was the shot across the bow to remind us to get out and get it while the getting's good! The cliff is coming before we know it.

Reactions: nay

BTaylor

Skier
@BTaylor and @Doug Briggs - I'll be heading to Breck tonight, staying through Sunday. Are there any good slushy mogul runs at Breck open now? I know A-basin has a couple good ones with Pali and Ramrod/Exhibition. We're staying at Breck base, so easier for us to ski that vs. trek to A-basin. Thanks for any input!

I also love Whale's Tail and Horseshoe, but would like to do some slush moguls if they can be found...

Breck's traditional bump runs are on 8, 9, 10, all of which is closed terrain for the Spring Finale. Wish they would keep 6 Chair running during May, but they aren't.

There ARE some moguls under the Independence Chair, Peak 7.

I'm heading up for a few hours of skiing on Peak 6 right now, and I'll let you know whether the grooming crew has let Nirvana and Daydream develop into bump runs this week or not. In the past, those two runs (skiers left from bottom of Elysian Fields) have sometimes had nice moguls, but Breck has been knocking them down every few days more recently.

BTaylor

Skier
@BTaylor and @Doug Briggs Are there any good slushy mogul runs at Breck open now? <snip> <snip>

Update: Peak 6 was on hold all afternoon today (wind and visibility). So, I wasn't able to check out Daydream and Nirvana for possible moguls.

Forecast for tomorrow is for excellent visibility and maybe more-moderate wind, which should mean that a lot of Peak 6 terrain will be available. If the EpicMix app shows "No" tomorrow for grooming for those two runs, they might have some bumps for you.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Gotta say, pretty stoked to be packing for a weekend of sleeping in a tent and skiing this insane snowpack. Who knows what we'll find, could be leftover pow turns tomorrow, through corn couloirs by Sunday.

61040274_10101788921269260_5205133688509038592_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online