• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
That was maybe the best end to end day of the season.

Not sure what was happening to make the Marmot to Chair 8 terrain such a microclimate, but you can still see it here at 3:00. Relentless amounts of snow blowing over on that side.
View attachment 71665

On 9 proper, the lines laid down in fairly narrow aspects along somewhat atypical paths, with ice fields and other fun stuff in between. This is 3:15, nice line to follow lookers right of the lift that was clean from the top.

View attachment 71663

And then last chair just a bit over from the last one. I just about got the entire thing poached standing there like an idiot taking pics, although to be fair I was waiting for a sun break before dropping.

View attachment 71664

I did hit an unexpected ice pile feature and ate it (not the ice at one point, though, so Loveland sucks. Don’t ski there.

You're killing me. A vendor convinced me to hit WP/MJ today. It was nothing like what you found at LL. It was tough skiing all the way up to about 1:30 p.m. when it FINALLY started to soften up. No new snow at all found its way to the slopes of WP/MJ. :(

Reactions: nay

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah, the Land of Love was good today. Empty and a nice reset. Like Nay said, 8 was nice! Lots of untracked all day but still the coral reef underneath except in loaded spots.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Well I be in the land o' luv on Friday since I can't ski Sunday. Hoping to find some nice corn as it warms up and looking forward to some soft bumps after getting hammered by MJ today.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Day 70 was a very nice one. Upper mountain at Breck was juuussst starting the thaw freeze cycle and was very fun. The wind was gentle, relatively, and the staircase pretty bad. Skiing the east facing nose of Six Senses was a day maker.

IMG_20190419_125845977.jpg
Nothing but delightful soft snow.

IMG_20190419_132119458_HDR.jpg
Soft and warm.

IMG_20190419_132154384_HDR.jpg
Grays and Torreys with soft, meringue like left overs from yesterday in the foreground.

Did I say the snow was soft? The lower pitches of Wonderland, over the roll over in the photo above, had pockets of sun softened fresh that was up to 6 inches and more in places. Mini pillows.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Maybe it was the really tough snow I encountered at WP yesterday, but the snow at LL today was fantastic; from the opening bell and until I had nothing left in my legs. Elevation truly has its advantages.

I had thought today was going to be great, because for whatever reason the consistency just held up run after run. You just never know how it will set up overnight.

I was totally fried on my last couple 9 runs getting to the lift yesterday, but it was too good to stop. Glad to hear you got some. :golfclap:

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Last Moonlight Dinner (earn your appetizers, no lift) @ A-Basin tomorrow.

Skiing a bit beforehand, then slogging back up. One of the reasons I’m not giving up an A-Basin pass.

Although I should really not talk about these - the food and vibe is incredible, easily one of the best days of the year.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am happily encamped at Copper for the weekend. If you're skiing here Saturday or Sunday drop me a line.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Back to weather, the models are showing up to an inch of liquid Sunday afternoon into Monday with the next storm cycle.

Sez “mainly north of I-70”, but that whole spring Continental Divide season is usually in play.

Methinks a Monday ski day is in order.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Day 70 was a very nice one. Upper mountain at Breck was juuussst starting the thaw freeze cycle and was very fun. The wind was gentle, relatively, and the staircase pretty bad. Skiing the east facing nose of Six Senses was a day maker.

View attachment 71712
Nothing but delightful soft snow.

View attachment 71711
Soft and warm.

View attachment 71710
Grays and Torreys with soft, meringue like left overs from yesterday in the foreground.

Did I say the snow was soft? The lower pitches of Wonderland, over the roll over in the photo above, had pockets of sun softened fresh that was up to 6 inches and more in places. Mini pillows.

I’m here now if anybody wants to meet....I’ll be with family, but would happy to spin a lap with a local. Staying at Mountain Thunder. Ate at Canteen last night thanks to the CO Crew rec......was really good....great burger.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a very odd day today. It started with studying, then a lovely catch up with Susan, then out to the hill at the crack of noon. Things just felt off. Sadly, I'm way out of shape due to concussion issues and school taking too much time and I was on my bike on Thursday so at first I just thought it was that. Then I thought I thought it was the fact that I hadn't eaten anything for hours so I pulled out my pocket snacks and downed those. Got up to Sierra hoping to find a friend and was getting vertigo while skiing. Did a couple of runs there then literally had to sit at the picnic benches at the base of S with my head down before skiing down. Got back to the condo and took a nap but felt weird when I woke up again. Suddenly it dawned on me that my ears feel plugged up so I'm probably congested and that's causing it. Drove to Frisco, got some Sudafed and an hour so and a bowl of ramen later I feel much better. Hopefully I'll get to ski a bit more tomorrow.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
If anyone wants an eye opener for what the avalanche cycle in March did....go drive/ski Independence Pass. Unreal amount of destruction -- most every slide path had 30+ year old down wood of huge acreage.

Many lines that are typically game-on this time of year aren't, because they ripped to the ground.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If anyone wants an eye opener for what the avalanche cycle in March did....go drive/ski Independence Pass. Unreal amount of destruction -- most every slide path had 30+ year old down wood of huge acreage.

Many lines that are typically game-on this time of year aren't, because they ripped to the ground.

Driving through Officer's Gulch was quite stunning. I will be surprised if they manage to get the bike path from Frisco to Copper open this year.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Driving through Officer's Gulch was quite stunning.

Independence pass looks like this on steroids. It was insane. The winter closure is now the La Plata trailhead instead of its few miles further up the road -- which are clear of snow but have tons of avy debris.

Lines that are typically in this time of year are not. Because the slides ripped to the ground there is no snow in the middle or high parts of the lines, just piled with debris at the bottom.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Independence pass looks like this on steroids. It was insane. The winter closure is now the La Plata trailhead instead of its few miles further up the road -- which are clear of snow but have tons of avy debris.

Lines that are typically in this time of year are not. Because the slides ripped to the ground there is no snow in the middle or high parts of the lines, just piled with debris at the bottom.

Damn. I was looking forward to the pass this year ... I guess there is still some stuff, but it's like the SKY chutes, I'm sure. Gone.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Damn. I was looking forward to the pass this year ... I guess there is still some stuff, but it's like the SKY chutes, I'm sure. Gone.

Oh don't worry -- a lot of snow still there. Just go with plenty of backup options in case the line you're looking to ski has avalanched out.

We got up early to ski Lackawanna. As you can see -- that didn't work out. Walked back to the car through tons of debris.

6492931205771824191_IMG_2495.jpg
-402871009987889775_IMG_2496.jpg

But we still founds some great snow just exploring up a gulch. 1700' shot of 20-30 degree corn.
-5042659945227252299_IMG_2670.jpg

-1873729846765948083_IMG_2578.jpg

And the @nay shot
-9162304855085999980_IMG_2529.jpg

More debris...

2336628257721115559_IMG_2781.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor