Colorado 2018-19 Colorado Weather and Stoke

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by nay, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Thread Starter
    TS
    nay

nay dirt heel pusher Skier

In my yard, nature has planted hardy weeds that largely survive all weather and it has also delivered excess populations of pocket gophers.

Xeriscaping in Zone 3.

I suppose a nice thing about a 59 day growing season is the lack of ski season overlap ogsmile. Also the lack of successfully growing much beyond lettuce.

The Vail Valley was once the lettuce capital of the U.S. And people say Vail sucks. Lettuce doesn’t suck.

jmeb likes this.
  2. tball

tball Zipped up Skier

One of our last runs of the season at Copper yesterday (automated animated gif thanks to Google photos):

IMG_20190414_144503-ANIMATION.gif

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    bamaman, mikel, TexasStout and 4 others like this.
  3. mikel

mikel Out on the slopes Skier

^ nice. Nov 8th will be here before you know it. ogsmile Sorry I missed you and @dbostedo the other day. Zipfits are out of my boots and the wraps back in. Hopefully my ankle does ok tomorrow.

dbostedo, nay and tball like this.
  4. Wannabeskibum

Wannabeskibum Getting on the lift Skier

I heard “drive your arm” from a Heavenly coach. Another one is look for the next apex of your turn. As you finish your turn, you turn your head looking for the next turn. It tends to make you stacked shoulders, over hips, over feet.

5. Wannabeskibum

Wannabeskibum Getting on the lift Skier

Breckenridge_04152019_0001-00-00-01-134.jpg Monday Apri 15 - Wow what day. Multiple times in Whales Tail, Debbie's Alley, and Vertigo. Even got to ride the Imperial Chair with the legendary C.J.

Monique, mikel, nay and 2 others like this.

6. Thread Starter
    TS
    nay

That snow was about $8K better than the new tax laws. Not that I don’t love getting f$$$$$d late at night.

Noodler, mikel and VickieH like this.
  7. Noodler

Noodler Now trading turns for swings... Skier

:roflmao:

I had the same exact reaction on Sunday evening.

nay likes this.
  8. mikel

:yeah: and the schedule is being revamped again next year :doh:

nay likes this.
  9. tball

tball Zipped up Skier

495,000 students out of school today in the Denver Metro Area. Did anyone manage to get their kids up skiing? I sure thought about it but couldn't swing it. A quick check of the webcams shows empty lifts at WP, A-basin, and Copper, as expected on a mid-April weekday. I don't feel so bad after seeing that. Crazy and sad situation.

mikel likes this.
  10. Thread Starter
    TS
    nay

Mine still had school. Not sure I would have gone anyway. Overcast days in April tend to bite.

It was good to see that situation ‘resolve’.

11. S.H.

S.H. USSA Coach Skier

It got sunny at Loveland around 11:30, and there was pretty great skiing off the ridge...

nay and mikel like this.
  12. mikel

Days like this week are a pretty good reason, along with a couple of others, that I doubt you would ever see the season extended beyond this at Copper. Yes the terrain park was busy but beyond that not many skiers to speak of. Even up top there were only scattered skiers about. Not sure I saw more than 25 at any one time.

13. tball

tball Zipped up Skier

No doubt. There was nobody on the mountain during the week last week even with the USASA competition, but at least the village was fairly busy. Must be a ghost town this week.

Copper did pick up substantially on Friday and over the weekend. I think they could probably open Friday-Sunday for a number of extended weekends well into May and probably do fine. Just running the Eagle and Excelerator would deliver a great product. And, turn all that snow from the halfpipe into a spring bump run under the lift as they do on Super Star at Killington. :D

I'm hoping that's what they have in mind after building the new Solitude Station. That will be a great place to hang out through May, and the skiing on Excelerator will be fantastic and better than what A-basin offers at the bitter end with the ability to download on the Gondola as needed.

I also think the economics of the Ikon pass will drive Copper to stay open late, as long as A-basin isn't on Ikon. Copper can provide much better skiing through May than Mary Jane and will be nicely paid for each scan by Alterra. It's the same incentive that led A-basin to stay open as long as possible after the deal to be on Vail's pass.

14. Thread Starter
    TS
    nay

Nice morning burst.

5C0E3FBF-FA53-4E33-8EA9-7F850345B371.jpeg

E17CCC61-DC72-48FD-8E4F-74EFC3D47E83.jpeg

tball likes this.
  15. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs Skiing the powder Industry Insider Pugski Ski Tester

nay and tball like this.
  16. Ken_R

Ken_R Living the Dream Skier

nay likes this.
  17. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs Skiing the powder Industry Insider Pugski Ski Tester

I was thinking the same thing and your answer seems like the most likely reason.

18. Xinga

Xinga Booting up Skier

I can't help but think that would be quite the Easter Egg hunt... they're all painted pretty colors, after all.

MarkP, nay and Ken_R like this.
  19. Thread Starter
    TS
    nay

Today got good. The wind direction loaded 8 with perfect consistency and it’s still blowing in hard over there. I got about 7 completely untracked yummy surfy runs from the top and I didn’t even get over there until 10:30. Some of the best of the season.

8B9309DC-1127-46CE-A4C8-B1D3E1DEDCEA.jpeg
    129EF76D-DD9C-4AA8-B7F8-5F396AAE8065.jpeg
    94778D43-8856-4F1A-911C-8F0AF708ABE4.jpeg

Trees on 6 when viz was really tough were good, but a little crunch here and there.

B698E43A-BC41-4B00-9713-A2A822BF8CDD.jpeg

Trees on 8 are creamy. 9 is now open. Time is a wastin’.

bamaman, palikona, dbostedo and 4 others like this.
  20. Thread Starter
    TS
    nay

That was maybe the best end to end day of the season.

Not sure what was happening to make the Marmot to Chair 8 terrain such a microclimate, but you can still see it here at 3:00. Relentless amounts of snow blowing over on that side.
    4A50C299-F0FE-46D6-911B-6B058DC6BBC3.jpeg

On 9 proper, the lines laid down in fairly narrow aspects along somewhat atypical paths, with ice fields and other fun stuff in between. This is 3:15, nice line to follow lookers right of the lift that was clean from the top.

B3E9A7A4-795E-43F3-8FA4-2314BAB4E039.jpeg

And then last chair just a bit over from the last one. I just about got the entire thing poached standing there like an idiot taking pics, although to be fair I was waiting for a sun break before dropping.

FDCF8816-37FC-481D-AE1B-3B93EDD70B20.jpeg

I did hit an unexpected ice pile feature making a mistake thinking everything was soft on my first 9 run and ate it (not the ice), though, so Loveland sucks. Don’t ski there. The groomers also got hard icy towards the base. Not family friendly.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019