Colorado 2018-19 Colorado Weather and Stoke

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by nay, Aug 17, 2018.

1. coskigirl

coskigirl Making fresh tracks Skier

When Al posted that the 2019-20/20-21 Double Down pass would go on sale after July 5 I wondered if they might have that plan.

mikel likes this.
  2. Jed

Jed Booting up Skier

Kids a got a chance to feel the wind at Copper this afternoon. It's their first Rocky Mountain snow adventure. My boy had a little altitude sickness, but we took it easy and got some fluids in him. We had some fun after lunch and called it an early day. We're heading out for dinner now. It was a good first day. We're heading to Loveland tomorrow. Hope it doesn't blow too much on top.

Monique, tball, mikel and 1 other person like this.
  3. Thread Starter
    TS
    nay

nay dirt heel pusher Skier

Morning groomer zoomin’ was smart. It did look so good from afar - I was sure it was hero snow time. Hah. It changed so fast, that was some of the most deceiving snow I’ve ever skied. It was grippy soft with a completely unpredictable surface.

This same stuff mostly let go of its grip in the afternoon as the wind and light snow kicked in and conditions returned to winter. Plenty of nice turns on 8 in particular, ended up being a nice day. Got the girl out skiing, too. She’s digging the extended daylight warm(er) turns.

536DBBE0-5FC4-4C12-A86D-28669431635B.jpeg 8A261A3C-C8FF-4CDA-8FB0-CD2D67013AC2.jpeg FF430B01-7E63-4938-A09D-2552AA4F83C9.jpeg

E4F825B6-2DB9-4E29-9BC6-73497A1669D1.jpeg

9 stayed closed for wind. I didn’t think the wind really warranted a closure, but I was just as happy to not be tempted to go up again.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 1:17 PM
    givethepigeye, tball, Noodler and 2 others like this.
  4. coskigirl

coskigirl Making fresh tracks Skier

I’ll be at Copper Saturday and Sunday (closing weekend) if anyone is around.

mikel likes this.
  5. mikel

mikel Out on the slopes Skier

I think you might be right. 9News did a piece on closures this evening. They did say A Basin would be closing June 2nd. Maybe Al is keeping it under wraps for now?

6. Thread Starter
    TS
    nay

nay dirt heel pusher Skier

A-Basin’s official close date is always the first Sunday in June. That’s the 2nd this year.

The extension weekends after close of regular operations are Fri-Sun for as long as they can keep Lenawee Face to High Noon open. I can’t remember hearing anything official about extending before mid to late May.

Definitely way too early for anything but Al hinting at an extended season in his blog.

7. VickieH

VickieH Out on the slopes Skier

Copper's sunny, breezy day turned out to be cloudy and snowy. I was skiing slow and sloppy. By mid-afternoon I hit "verge-tigo" ... that place where I start feeling like a Weeble on skis every time I stop.

Morning commute was good -- no weekday commuter traffic. Expected to have smooth sailing all the way home too. And it was, right up to Loveland. I hit there just as all the Love-ers were closing the place. Reminded me why I haven't been skiing weekends. And to think I went today just to catch one more bluebird day. Hopefully there will be another opportunity later this week.

nay and skibum4ever like this.
  8. Noodler

Noodler Now trading turns for swings... Skier

Not until Friday. It's a stormy week ahead for the most part. I'm supposed to ski with a vendor on Wednesday-Thursday at WP. It will probably be serious storm skiing... again.

nay likes this.
  9. tball

tball Zipped up Skier

Yeah, where's spring? I guess it will show up eventually.

From Copper today:

IMG_20190414_140500.jpg
    Little Burn:

IMG_20190414_140716.jpg

I think we almost hit double-digit Little Burn laps. Sister stayed home so he got to call every run. It was Little Burn almost every time after I vetoed his Storm King requests. He's never been up Storm King but keeps admiring it. Something to dream about over the summer. Maybe next year.

He got a hoot and a compliment from the lift I couldn't hear. When we stopped he said "somebody said I skied the hell out of that. What does that even mean?" :roflmao:

nay, DCagle, mikel and 5 others like this.
  10. Wolfski

Wolfski Getting on the lift Skier

Hope not, we got home from Breck last night to 8.5" here in FIB land, it was a slushy 8 no where near the 11 we skied last Thursday
    Here was the Quicksilver line at 8:30 and the longest we waited was maybe 5 chairs
    20190411_083824.jpg
    Saturday crowds at BC
    20190413_104022.jpg

Gotta love April

nay likes this.
  11. VickieH

VickieH Out on the slopes Skier

Thanks for mentioning this. It was already a done deed, but I'll watch for damage.

I learned a lot from a Master Gardener in VA. That ported over nicely to Portland since they're in the same agricultural zone, but not something I can rely on for this climate. Time for me to get familiar with the Extension Service guidance here and limit rookie mistakes.

12. Monique

Monique bounceswoosh Skier

You probably know this, but don't plant anything that's frost-sensitive before Mother's Day, no matter how pleasant the weather is. I've been burned by that twice - planting just days before - in Longmont.

Jerez likes this.
  13. tball

tball Zipped up Skier

I say plant away. And, take your snow tires off... please. ;)

RachelV, nay, Jerez and 6 others like this.
  14. BC.

BC. NEPA ShopRat/Skier Skier

I know this is not a skiing question....but any Pug recommendations for places to eat while in Breck? We will be in town Friday-Tuesday.......family of 4....Have been before, but it was a few years ago.....any new places that people like?

What are your "go to" places with friends and family in the surrounding area?

15. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs Skiing the powder Industry Insider Pugski Ski Tester

Saturday and Sunday were a lot of fun at Breck.

Saturday I was helping K with her skiing on Saturday and she had a breakthrough. I'd tried everything I have heard recommended here to get her to angulate and tip the skis while keeping her COM over her outside ski and then hit upon 'drive your (outside) arm in direction you don't want to go.' All of a sudden it clicked and she was flexing her ankles and knees, tipping the skis on edge, with her shoulder's moving outside a bit. She was angulating! She went home after a meal at Sevens while I continued to ski and was on the hill to the last chair. Lots of nice runs in Wonderland and finishing up with a couple of groomer zoomers on Claimjumper.

IMG_20190413_124514307.jpg
    Peak 6 south ridge. I thin this looked a bit better than it skied. Meanwhile I enjoyed the low angle fresh below this point.

IMG_20190413_153608576.jpg
    The sun and been (mostly) in and out of the clouds and the wind was strong.

Sunday...

IMG_20190414_114742350_HDR.jpg
    There is always goodness to be found.

IMG_20190414_122201459.jpg
    The wind almost always brings in snow to Breck. This is in Wonderland where there was a firm wintery base with some windfill. Non-trivial, but a fun challenge. Lower down there were 6 - 8 inches of wind deposit in the gully that drains this area.

IMG_20190414_131317369.jpg
    The image I missed when the lift wasn't moving was more dramatic. Snow was off and on all day.

Attached Files:

nay, mikel and Monique like this.
  16. jmeb

jmeb Stereotypical Front Range Weekend Warrior Skier

I put in a bunch of heartier stuff these past few weeks: lettuce, broccolis, herbs, peas, carrots, radish, kale, chard, arugula. We're close enough now that you can at least get those types of things going to spread out your planning efforts inbetween ski days.

Monique likes this.
  17. Monique

I like the Quandry. That's not new, though ...

FWIW, Matt finally got me angulating last season with the following drill: try to touch my outside hand to the back of my outside binding. I still use this drill, and more importantly, seek the feeling that it gives me.

BC. and Doug Briggs like this.
  18. Doug Briggs

The Blue Fish just opened next to the shop on Lincoln. My shopmates eat there often. They have a 3 - 5 happy hour that is apparently pretty good. https://www.thebluefishsushi.com/

Eric's and Fatty's are perennial favorites. Burger, pizza, sandwiches.

A friend just opened a high end place: Aurum on South Ridge. http://aurumbreckenridge.com/dinner/

The Canteen has pleased my palette on a few occasions. Kind of in the same grouping as Fatty's and Eric's but with a slightly more upscale higher end on the menu, as I recall. https://thecanteenbreck.com/canteeneats/

Lots of people like Hearthstone. I have found it a bit pricier than the meals merit. But never 'bad'. https://www.hearthstonebreck.com/

Blue River Bistro has 2 for 1 happy hour Martinis and large plates of tasty food. https://www.blueriverbistro.com/

Monique, BC., VickieH and 1 other person like this.
  19. Doug Briggs

I'd tried everything and about given up. Touch your boot, feel the pinch, .... We were in the 5 inches of fresh below Lost Cabin when I tried 'drive the arm...." Just sheer luck I think that it worked. What a difference, though. She is still brushing her turns but can make quick linked turns which she needs. She even did a check turn at one point to redirect her line. I'm so happy. So is she.

nay, Monique and VickieH like this.
  20. Monique

Wonderful! It's amazing how you can get 15 different cues that do nothing, and then the 16th clicks. I made the mistake in my response of thinking that just because the boot touch worked for me, it's a "better" cue. But it's not. Or at least, it's only "better" for me.

Doug Briggs likes this.