• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
@MattSmith Took this pic of me the other day in the Continental Divide Bowl above the Broome Hut near Berthoud Pass.

There is just a LOT of snow above 11k Feet. :drool::drool::drool:

Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 12.13.04 PM.png

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
LL was odd today. Before the lifts spun it was snowing. At the bell it was literally puking (nice big fat flakes too). And then... the sun came out? It turned into a nice Spring day on the mountain; definitely not what I was expecting. I was way overdressed for sunshine and warm. Oh well, snow was still nice with an inch or so of fluff over some dense "almost" crust depending on aspect.

Spring Break is in full effect. Yo-ho's running around without poles, but don't know how to skate well enough to get themselves on the lift without having 2 empty chairs roll by (this happened multiple times).

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
LL was odd today. Before the lifts spun it was snowing. At the bell it was literally puking (nice big fat flakes too). And then... the sun came out? It turned into a nice Spring day on the mountain; definitely not what I was expecting. I was way overdressed for sunshine and warm. Oh well, snow was still nice with an inch or so of fluff over some dense "almost" crust depending on aspect.

Spring Break is in full effect. Yo-ho's running around without poles, but don't know how to skate well enough to get themselves on the lift without having 2 empty chairs roll by (this happened multiple times).
Today is the last day of Spring Break, right? Shouldn't they be gone by noon Sunday at the latest?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I believe you are correct. Using room rates as a measuring stick, the same room that was $558 last month at Telluride is only $186 next week

Yes, my kind of week :D

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier

Today is the last day of Spring Break, right? Shouldn't they be gone by noon Sunday at the latest?
My kids’ school district is off next week. It’s never over until March is over, and easter is late this year.

But it should be ‘better’.
At least all them bothersome foreigners from Texas should be gone, right? ;)

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
A dusting on the porch rail in Frisco this am is a start anyway.
Hopefully won't be too scrapey baby sitting at Copper today.
Looking for a meetup for moguls and steeps tomorrow(Sunday) at Breck.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Staying in Silverthorne/Dillon this week...Prob hitting Vail and Breck, poss Keystone and Beaver.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Evil Empire was pretty crunchy yesterday. Morning sun didn't last long enough to soften up most runs; then flat light and incoming storm clouds sealed the deal.
Was puking (snow) for 3-4 miles on either side of the tunnel around mid-afternoon.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
The Evil Empire was pretty crunchy yesterday. Morning sun didn't last long enough to soften up most runs; then flat light and incoming storm clouds sealed the deal.
Was puking (snow) for 3-4 miles on either side of the tunnel around mid-afternoon.

You would have hated Thu then. :) Friday was an upgrade and today was actually pretty decent if you poked around. That said offpiste was crunchy and the flat light didn’t help. We actually were timing runs down into China with the Sun. Unfortunately saw a bunch of people getting a sled ride.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
^^^On our hill the bumps were just getting there under bright sun around 2pm or so. Figured this was the perfect time to bring out the coarse structure fatties. Also figured I'd snap a pic of them all pretty in the sun so I posed 'em against my car real nice but by the time my phone was set the clouds had rolled in with a chilly wind. First lap was sweet but by the second a crust was starting to form.

I will report that the coarse structure was $$$ on the runouts.
ZkjqR_QU_ocD841gfmsot_pn7KgkMOQYzfBXFtcvPEw-768x1024.jpg

Reactions: nay

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Did the afternoon shift today. North facing bumps were sweet = )
VryheKPau2fkY6ul_fhLhKyR1Qm6_hXFdwtBEAPm2j8-768x1024.jpg

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm staying in Frisco now and have skied CO 2 days/yr for the past 6 yrs, so i've skied them all.
I like bumps and steeper stuff. Today I skied Copper with my son-in-law, getting there as a skier, but wasn't able to ski the whole mtn like I like to.
The bumps were in decent shape, decent meaning they hadn't really totally thawed out all wet and refroze. But of course they could use some snow.
I'd like to do Breck and hate to pony up the $180, but would if I thought it was worth it. It's been at least 4 yrs since i was there, so it would feel new.
Does a lot of Breck face north?
I never rode the Copper cat and could do that if I wen to Copper, but Copper has just a bit too much groomers for my taste, considering the whole hill, and that Copper bowl faces South (the lift face anyway), so that might not be too much fun.
Then there is Loveland. They report 5" confirmed by lift buddy who said it was snowing like crazy around noon when he went by.
And when i was at Loveland, the tippy top had limited opening and not too good coverage, i assume it's all wonderful now with no rocks etc.
Where should I go tomorrow?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm staying in Frisco now and have skied CO 2 days/yr for the past 6 yrs, so i've skied them all.
I like bumps and steeper stuff. Today I skied Copper with my son-in-law, getting there as a skier, but wasn't able to ski the whole mtn like I like to.
The bumps were in decent shape, decent meaning they hadn't really totally thawed out all wet and refroze. But of course they could use some snow.
I'd like to do Breck and hate to pony up the $180, but would if I thought it was worth it. It's been at least 4 yrs since i was there, so it would feel new.
I never rode the Copper cat and could do that if I wen to Copper, but Copper has just a bit too much groomers for my taste, considering the whole hill, and that Copper bowl faces South (the lift face anyway), so that might not be too much fun.
Then there is Loveland. They report 5" confirmed by lift buddy who said it was snowing like crazy around noon when he went by.
And when i was at Loveland, the tippy top had limited opening and not too good coverage, i assume it's all wonderful now with no rocks etc.
Where should I go tomorrow?

I skied Breck yesterday (Friday) with a friend. Edit: I should add that Peter and I went to kindergarten together and we're buddies until he moved away at 14. We would rage all over the mountain at Cranmore with our other buddies.

We started on Indy chair for a warmer upper and acclimation groomer run for Peter, visiting from NC. We proceeded to take run on Tbar then back around and up Imperial to CJs and George's Thumb. The snow was firm under the few inches of fresh but quite enjoyable. A fatter, less grippy ski was better than a carver.

IMG_20190322_083407503_HDR.jpg
Early in the day

Peter on George's Thumb. Rotary is Peter's style. It wasn't necessary for the conditions.

On our last runs we discovered some fresh hiding in plain view. No pictures or clues to location. ;)

IMG_20190322_114712486.jpg
The cornice and crowns in Beyond Bowl. Peak 5 (in the sun) was beautiful.

IMG_20190322_151355632.jpg
In Wonderland. Edit: NOT. That was in North Bowl. There were small pockets of fresh but everything was edgeable and grippy. Nothing was heavily sunbacked above treeline on 7 or 6.

IMG_20190322_151400701_HDR.jpg
A few more fresh turns to be.

Today we skied Vail.

IMG_20190323_081133370.jpg
Pepi Gramshammer and his wife, Sheika.

IMG_20190323_160226145.jpg
Mount of the Holy Cross in the center distance.

eb8f9aaa-21da-4394-a813-873a70458ccd_crop.jpg
Peter and myself with the cloud and snow shrouded Gore Range in the background.

Last edited:

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Breckenridge is roughly 60% east facing and 20% south facing. But as you can see in those pictures above, altitude can be just as big of a factor as aspect.
But 55% north facing, like at Copper, can also be a problem this time of year if clouds or temps never let things thaw out after a refreeze.
After March 15 you either take what you have and play with it, or you know your mountain and how to navigate elevation, aspect, and exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January