• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That's why you'll find good deals on lodging at Vail in April. Most people know better than to be there then.

Yes. My husband and I actually timed our wedding (2004) to coincide with the drop in rates so that we could honeymoon in Vail. There was a ton of snow - until the week before, when it all melted off. Too wet for mountain biking or hiking, but you had to download. I, as an intermediate skier, found a "run" that hadn't been closed - ended up hopping from snow patch to snow patch on something that was primarily dirt.

We'd only been in Colorado a few years, so we thought when we booked that we'd beaten the system - gotten a cheap rate, but the snow would still be good. I learned my lesson.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've had some great days at Vail closing day. Even lower at Beaver Creek too.

First, you need enough snow, and we've got that. Then you just need a day when the temp and sun are just right, not too warm, not too cold. On the occasional cold day, the surface conditions may actually be better lower at Vail then up at Breck where it could be icy.

It's a lot like A-basin at the last couple weeks of May, and we enjoy that, yes? It depends on the weather, but Vail could be great this April with all the snow.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I've had some great days at Vail closing day. Even lower at Beaver Creek too.

First, you need enough snow, and we've got that. Then you just need a day when the temp and sun are just right, not too warm, not too cold. On the occasional cold day, the surface conditions may actually be better lower at Vail then up at Breck where it could be icy.

It's a lot like A-basin at the last couple weeks of May, and we enjoy that, yes? It depends on the weather, but Vail could be great this April with all the snow.

It sure could be. It could also be crappy. That's sort of my point ... you just don't know. My honeymoon was the last week in March (2003). It was tricky skiing, assuming that skiing across dirt patches at the bottom of the back bowls isn't your thing. If it had been two weeks prior, it would have been fantastic.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It sure could be. It could also be crappy. That's sort of my point ... you just don't know. My honeymoon was the last week in March (2003). It was tricky skiing, assuming that skiing across dirt patches at the bottom of the back bowls isn't your thing. If it had been two weeks prior, it would have been fantastic.
Given the amount of snow we have now with an 83 inch base at Vail, I don't think widespread dirt patches are likely. It's more a matter of surface conditions, which favor Breck but could be good spring conditions at Vail depending on the day.

bamaman

Getting off the lift
Skier
So I just got royally screwed. I bought a Keystone 4 pack last October. Then I called the Customer Service line and upgraded it to a Season Pass (extra $150) right before I went first week of December. Gave them my credit card and everything. When I got to the ticket window first time in December, they said it still wasn't showing as upgraded but that was a common delay when ordering on-line or over the phone. But I wasn't worried as I was only skiing 4 days then, so I had enough days on the pass to cover. I upgraded because I thought I was going to ski Keystone multiple days at the end of my "Other Colorado" trip in January. But the kids got sick and never did. So, didn't find out then. So, with you all getting tons of snow still, I just booked to fly out for first week of April. Non-refundable airfare and lodging at River Run.

Well, I thought maybe I should check to make sure I have a season pass. Didn't see any record of it on the website. Didn't see it on the CC statement. So, I call them up and NOPE. No record of me upgrading. I was pissed, but it's my own fault for not following up on it sooner.

So, now I'm coming for a week and have no lift tickets when I thought I had it covered. 4 days at Keystone will cost me $476. And tickets are much cheaper at Copper, Loveland, Abasin. Anyone have any unused lift tickets they want to sell at a discount? ogwink

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
So I just got royally screwed. I bought a Keystone 4 pack last October. Then I called the Customer Service line and upgraded it to a Season Pass (extra $150) right before I went first week of December. Gave them my credit card and everything. When I got to the ticket window first time in December, they said it still wasn't showing as upgraded but that was a common delay when ordering on-line or over the phone. But I wasn't worried as I was only skiing 4 days then, so I had enough days on the pass to cover. I upgraded because I thought I was going to ski Keystone multiple days at the end of my "Other Colorado" trip in January. But the kids got sick and never did. So, didn't find out then. So, with you all getting tons of snow still, I just booked to fly out for first week of April. Non-refundable airfare and lodging at River Run.

Well, I thought maybe I should check to make sure I have a season pass. Didn't see any record of it on the website. Didn't see it on the CC statement. So, I call them up and NOPE. No record of me upgrading. I was pissed, but it's my own fault for not following up on it sooner.

So, now I'm coming for a week and have no lift tickets when I thought I had it covered. 4 days at Keystone will cost me $476. And tickets are much cheaper at Copper, Loveland, Abasin. Anyone have any unused lift tickets they want to sell at a discount? ogwink
Looks for unused Loveland 4 packs on Craigslist. Also could roll the dice asking around in the parking lot.

A-ABasin is selling a spring 3-pack for $189.

Conditions will probably be better at Loveland and A-Basin as it is. Though Keystone may end up with their best month on record, and if you stay on the upper mountain all day, the elevation will be just as good as Luv, A-Basin, and Breck.

Don’t pay the window rate at Keystone

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I can't believe there is a winter storm warning in place for Telluride with the potential for 16" and closing date is fast approaching. Just over 2 weeks now.

@Magi were you one of the instructors for the steep and deep camp a couple of seasons ago?

:eek::eek::eek: :drool:

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Given the amount of snow we have now with an 83 inch base at Vail, I don't think widespread dirt patches are likely. It's more a matter of surface conditions, which favor Breck but could be good spring conditions at Vail depending on the day.

This true - you can be up high waiting until afternoon for stuff to soften while lower elevation stuff with more southern exposure is nice and slushy.

I don’t think I’d book a trip on that, but it only takes a little bit of overcast to hose a high elevation day once the thaw/freeze cycle is on. I’d rather ski some back bowl grass than Copper coral reef if I had to choose ogsmile.

Status
Not open for further replies.