• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yep, it’s suddenly spring. The sun needed a few hours to soften pretty much anything off piste.

AF7AC0E0-04F9-44FB-8368-B7097697A59F.jpeg

Look at how much fun they’re having!

AE80FE1F-56B7-4894-8F94-39209AF2CC72.jpeg

Patrol was shelling the crap out of Velvet Hammer to no avail and despite previous slides on either side, but based on watching a few skiers its resistance seemed commensurate to its skiing.

We did well here with some additional southern exposure - nice lines and good soft surface for very little work.

DDA77FD0-A1AF-46B9-B0F9-CCC56CB4D2A3.jpeg

There is some additional grooming for Spring Break, including (gasp) a cut down South Chutes, and 4 may have had the consistently best snow all day top to bottom without ever getting funky.

It was refuge from the spring break weirdness and was lapped. This may never happen again.

0E0609B1-7E54-41D0-813E-D0297E9ED254.jpeg

Zero traffic heading up in the morning leaving Monument at a leisurely 7 am, and very little on the way home outside of a crash at about 3:30 outside of G’town, where we stopped for a little St. Patrick’s après.

Gorgeous day.

jclee

Booting up
Skier
How is Vail & Breckenridge in mid April? My kids have a week off Apr 15-19. Is it worth a trip from California?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
How is Vail & Breckenridge in mid April? My kids have a week off Apr 15-19. Is it worth a trip from California?

Breck is wonderful late season. Vail is low altitude and generally sticky slop.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Spent an incredibly gorgeous and sadly spring-like weekend skiing Snowmass this weekend. Weirdly easy traffic both ways; we were lucky to be a few hours behind that accident (accidents?) at Georgetown on the way home on Sunday.

Saw this HUGE avalanche path on Sunday. I don't even see any articles about this one. Here's the CAIC report:
https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/obs/obs_report.php?obs_id=55623

And here's a pic. It was pretty unreal to look at in person. It was a perfectly clear bluebird day and the view was so crisp, and spanned easily 50% of the terrain you were looking at. CAIC report says 2 miles wide!!! In comparison, the Conundrum slide that was reported as "historic" and "landscape altering" was apparently about a mile wide. Maybe that one let a lot more snow go?

aspen_slide.jpg

Had to bump down the quality a bunch to get it small enough to upload. Here's a link to the original:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JinZGkHKTyo6fk8r5

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Spent an incredibly gorgeous and sadly spring-like weekend skiing Snowmass this weekend. Weirdly easy traffic both ways; we were lucky to be a few hours behind that accident (accidents?) at Georgetown on the way home on Sunday.

Saw this HUGE avalanche path on Sunday. I don't even see any articles about this one. Here's the CAIC report:

And here's a pic. It was pretty unreal to look at in person. It was a perfectly clear bluebird day and the view was so crisp, and spanned easily 50% of the terrain you were looking at. CAIC report says 2 miles wide!!! In comparison, the Conundrum slide that was reported as "historic" and "landscape altering" was apparently about a mile wide. Maybe that one let a lot more snow go?

View attachment 68880

Had to bump down the quality a bunch to get it small enough to upload. Here's a link to the original:
Garrett peak is in the wilderness area while Highlands Ridge terminus of the slide path is not, and you had a house at the bottom.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

View attachment 68880

Incredible shot. The article sounds like it “just” ran it’s entire path.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
The first accident I encountered was on 91 just before 70. Pickup truck and tractor-trailer. Looked like the tractor-trailer made an almost 90-degree right turn through the snow bank on the side of the road. They were starting to winch the trailer out.

Saw the bighorn sheep on both drives yesterday. First time I've seen them since I moved here. On my way here last July, I stopped at the viewing area ... all I viewed was people taking selfies.

Last edited:
Reactions: nay

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Did some groomer zoomin' early and some pow pillow poppin' a little later.
UoHmKZ2MY8L4ZmltWqCLzvO7CrJbeOwZj5P1cLzF5wU-768x1024.jpg

cq6d85faebJSICgvyfZwrDn9kKmDk9ZJRMxBWAzfEvA-768x1024.jpg

Another beautiful day in paradise...... but..... mo' snow please = )

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last year I went to Breck and Vail around the same time - it was "closing" weekend at Vail - skied closing day at Vail and skied 3 other days at Breck - Breck was definitely better snow and very enjoyable. Coming back to Breck for a long weekend just prior to that week (Apr. 12 -16). Note that Vail starts to shrink its footprint, i.e. Blue Sky Basin will be likely closed as will the fringes of the Back Bowls.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What a nice warm sunny weekend at Copper. Mornings started off chilly but it warmed up quick. Had family here for the week and they got to see both ends of the spectrum weather wise. A couple of never evers took their 1st ski lessons.

I can't remember what day this was. Fri? Copper Bowl got it's share if charges set off. Check out the absolutely beautiful blue sky

IMG_0068 (2).JPG

Casting a pretty good shadow in the bright sun. Snow is still good most everywhere.

IMG_0056.JPG

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey @mikel , did you catch a shot of Freemont 1 or hear the results of the slide back there?

I haven't made it back there but have been watching the trail report and Freemont 1 has remained closed while the rest of Tucker is open. I'm hoping the slide may have opened up some more terrain or at least cleaned things up for next year. Here's the one glimpse I got of the natural avalanche you can see just at treeline from the top of R:

img_20190310_152411-jpg.68162

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Hey @mikel , did you catch a shot of Freemont 1 or hea r the results of the slide back there?

I haven't made it back there but have been watching the trail report and Freemont 1 has remained closed while the rest of Tucker is open. I'm hoping the slide may have opened up some more terrain or at least cleaned things up for next year. Here's the one glimpse I got of the natural avalanche you can see just at treeline from the top of R:

img_20190310_152411-jpg.68162

Here you go with a pic from Sunday and bunch of others from a great weekend. I expected crowds and there wre none. Sat was ski on to every chair except Timberline which was about 10 minutes. Sun was no lines at any lifts and they set up pop up party between Sierra and Rendevous a 10 barrel brewing bar and a bunch of chairs and fire pits and kicking tunes. I spent most of the day lapping Sierra, Blackjack and Mountain Chief and taking 2 breaks for some chow and beers at the pop up party......good times.

IMG_20190317_135423.jpg MVIMG_20190317_131909.jpg IMG_20190317_140013.jpg IMG_20190316_113457.jpg IMG_20190316_113503.jpg IMG_20190317_140013.jpg IMG_20190316_122934.jpg IMG_20190316_122931.jpg IMG_20190317_143132.jpg IMG_20190317_135449.jpg IMG_20190317_125336.jpg IMG_20190317_135434.jpg IMG_20190317_135429.jpg IMG_20190317_122730.jpg

Last edited:

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last year I went to Breck and Vail around the same time - it was "closing" weekend at Vail - skied closing day at Vail and skied 3 other days at Breck - Breck was definitely better snow and very enjoyable. Coming back to Breck for a long weekend just prior to that week (Apr. 12 -16). Note that Vail starts to shrink its footprint, i.e. Blue Sky Basin will be likely closed as will the fringes of the Back Bowls.

I believe Vail closes on April 14 - but Breck will be open

jclee

Booting up
Skier
I believe Vail closes on April 14 - but Breck will be open
Vail extended to Apr 21, and Breckenridge extended to May27!

So it sounds like the consensus is that Breckenridge is still good in mid-April but Vail gets sloppy? That's too bad- I found some pretty good deals on lodging at Vail. Is Vail still skiable from mid-mountain and up or I shouldn't even bother?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

So it sounds like the consensus is that Breckenridge is still good in mid-April but Vail gets sloppy? That's too bad- I found some pretty good deals on lodging at Vail. Is Vail still skiable from mid-mountain and up or I shouldn't even bother?

It really depends on what the sun does in the next month. No way to know. It's not unheard of need to ride the gondola down to the bottom late season at Vail.

Are you renting a car? Sleep in Vail, drive to Breck.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier

That's why you'll find good deals on lodging at Vail in April. Most people know better than to be there then.

Status
Not open for further replies.