• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I don't get this WROD thing -seems particularly popular in Colorado
Hundreds will come out in October or November to line up on one trail-a WROD.

In April Ski areas close often with every trail fully covered due to hardly anyone skiing. :huh:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't get this WROD thing -seems particularly popular in Colorado
Hundreds will come out in October or November to line up on one trail-a WROD.

In April Ski areas close often with every trail fully covered due to hardly anyone skiing. :huh:

I don't think it's that mysterious.

In October, most people haven't been skiing in months. They're excited to make a few turns. They're tired of the heat and are excited to see a few snow flakes and feel the chill in the air. Mountain biking and hiking are winding down; you can't play in the water anymore; trying to rock climb will numb out your hands. Skiing is a welcome change.

In April, most people haven't been mountain biking or hiking in months - they're excited to get back to it. They're tired of the cold and are excited about sunny days and green things poking out of the ground. After a season of turns, their favorite runs are melting out. The selection of runs is dwindling while the snow becomes more challenging. They're ready for a change.

At least, all of those apply to me.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I don't think it's that mysterious.

In October, most people haven't been skiing in months. They're excited to make a few turns. They're tired of the heat and are excited to see a few snow flakes and feel the chill in the air. Mountain biking and hiking are winding down; you can't play in the water anymore; trying to rock climb will numb out your hands. Skiing is a welcome change.

In April, most people haven't been mountain biking or hiking in months - they're excited to get back to it. They're tired of the cold and are excited about sunny days and green things poking out of the ground. After a season of turns, their favorite runs are melting out. The selection of runs is dwindling while the snow becomes more challenging. They're ready for a change.

At least, all of those apply to me.

I though that this past winter was long, actually perfect, and that I would welcome summer and that summer would be short but im already tired of the heat, cant wait for cooler temps :roflmao:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Looks like we are going ENSO neutral so I guess that means things could go either way for us. @nay thoughts?

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/08/...n-for-this-winter-in-colorado/?obref=obinsite

I would expect a crappy to an "average" snow year. It would be a nice surprise if its better. I am torn. Last season with all the snow it was a complete "shitshow" most days at the resorts. It was as bad as I have ever seen it regarding crowds. The year before I had some amazing turns with mellow crowds. The backcountry was specially quiet while this season it was pretty crowded even outside the resort boundaries.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Looks like we are going ENSO neutral so I guess that means things could go either way for us. @nay thoughts?

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/08/...n-for-this-winter-in-colorado/?obref=obinsite

ENSO doesn’t have a lot of correlation for Colorado generally. Mostly I wonder if temps will stay on the cool side as the monsoon ends, or if we have some persistent warmth into October.

My monthly ski streak ended at 55 in July as I was unexpectedly in Europe for the back half of the month, and I’ve been on the mtb and not paying too much attention to the weather.

I was at A-Basin in Sat for the Cirque Series race (not as a runner) and it occurred to me that the lifts could be spinning in two months. That’s kinda cool.

B779EA41-369D-4D4A-9B9E-206026B75B0D.jpeg

341F080F-F119-4CB0-BA0E-36360F263B64.jpeg

Four of the six of my family ran the race. These two smart people did not.

50B5BAD0-DB7A-4207-8E9B-98AA469D24EC.jpeg

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Speaking of modest expansion,

Did my intermittent annual summer hike up and down the Beavers at A Basin last Friday. Wonderful. Two things:

1. During ski season, it's hard to see and appreciate that so much of what looks like off trail forest in the Beavers is actually greatly cleared for tree skiing. Much of the terrain I thought was just tight trees has actually been partly cleared and contoured/manicured at some expense and effort for us to ski in. Fun to hike through.

2. This summer two new runs have been carved out way over to the far west @ the Beavers, over just short of the Heavenly Valley region, I gather. Like the rest of the runs out there, they will feed into the trail at boundary line that traverses back over to the bottom of Loafer, above the steeper open bald area. One of the trails will be called "Tinker Toy," seems like. (See Al's Blog 8/16 for some of the details: http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/)

Oh, and I was told by guys up working on a new base platform for the Beaver's lift that the return traverse trail above the bald spot that was so sketchy this past season is being worked on, and will be better. (It sure was hard last season - the reason I went back there so little.)

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Copper news: Tucker lift to be called Three Bears, and the runs are being renamed loosely after regions of CO (Denverite, Boulderado, Western Slope, etc). Don’t shoot, just the messenger.( And not even sure how accurate...)

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Copper news: Tucker lift to be called Three Bears, and the runs are being renamed loosely after regions of CO (Denverite, Boulderado, Western Slope, etc). Don’t shoot, just the messenger.( And not even sure how accurate...)
That's odd and unfortunate if true.

Tucker already has a strong brand, and folks have been calling the long-discussed lift the "Tucker Lift" for years, and I doubt they will change. Same with the runs. They already have names!

While we are at it, the Incline was bought by Copper, confirmed by all the staff wearing Copper name tags and our nice server trying to put a happy face on it. :(

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Liked the post for the info, not because I like the content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January