• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2017 Völkl Flair 81 vs 2017 Völkl Flair SC UVO

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Fair Lightweight Agile Intelligent Reliable​

Flair SC vs 81.png

If it's time to think about replacing your old frontside ski with one of the new Völkls, you’re probably looking at the Flair 81 and the Flair SC UVO. These two German sisters are the halo models in the new Flair collection. Both are all-new skis built on Völkl's 3D-Ridge architecture; geared toward the advanced-expert female skier, they are on par with the top offerings from any manufacturer.

The Flair 81 provides stability and power for the all-mountain skier, imparting the feeling that you can power through anything. The incredible edgehold that you expect from a Völkl instills confidence in every turn, creating an experience that inspires you to explore more of the mountain. The narrower Flair SC UVO is intensely smooth in its quick edge-to-edge transfer, letting you know it can turn on a dime -- but you probably want to be on top of your game. The SC is positioned to be a leader in its class for the girl looking for quickness and precision.
  • Why choose the Flair 81? Because you’re looking for a solid all-mountain ski that will drive through crud and hold an edge.
  • Why choose the Flair SC UVO? Because you’re passionate about carving up the corduroy and are searching for a technical ski.
  • Other skis in the class: Head Super Joy, Nordica Sentra S5 EVO, Atomic Vantage X 80 CTi W.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Awesome. I'm really glad you suggested the Flair 81 for me. I've got this one on my short demo list for this season as well as on my ski essential's wish list so I can keep my eye on the prize, I mean price. :golfclap:

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
For an intermediate frontside woman skier, do you think the Flair would be too stiff? I have seen reviews in the past that say Volkls are super stiff. Also, are they normal weight for a 156? Cheers

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For an intermediate frontside woman skier, do you think the Flair would be too stiff? I have seen reviews in the past that say Volkls are super stiff. Also, are they normal weight for a 156? Cheers
They are typical weight for a system ski of this caliber.
I would say, the Flair 78 may be a little better for a solid intermediate. I definitely wound't go for the SC UVO for an intermediate.

What is her preferred type of skiing and what does she hope to gain in her future skiing?

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
They are typical weight for a system ski of this caliber.
I would say, the Flair 78 may be a little better for a solid intermediate. I definitely wound't go for the SC UVO for an intermediate.

What is her preferred type of skiing and what does she hope to gain in her future skiing?
Thank you for the reply. We ski solely at Blue Mountain in the Poconos but should be moving to NH/VT in a couple years. I like your recco for the Flair 78. Blue is primarily groomers with snow conditions changing quickly due to temp and skiers. She hopes to be a solid carver in the near future. Not much for speed but more for full control on the slopes at all time. She currently skis a 142cm volkl oceana attiva and as 5'4" / 120 we are thinking mid to low 150's as next side ski. She started skiing on snow blades so she is slowly moving up the length chart. The thing is, in her mind, she thinks an 80ish waist is what she wants next although she has not demoed anything in that category. She just sees everyone else at the resort with wider waists.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you for the reply. We ski solely at Blue Mountain in the Poconos but should be moving to NH/VT in a couple years. I like your recco for the Flair 78. Blue is primarily groomers with snow conditions changing quickly due to temp and skiers. She hopes to be a solid carver in the near future. Not much for speed but more for full control on the slopes at all time. She currently skis a 142cm volkl oceana attiva and as 5'4" / 120 we are thinking mid to low 150's as next side ski. She started skiing on snow blades so she is slowly moving up the length chart. The thing is, in her mind, she thinks an 80ish waist is what she wants next although she has not demoed anything in that category. She just sees everyone else at the resort with wider waists.
The Flair 81 won't be a bad choice if she wants to stick with that width, but I think the 78 is a better choice, given your description, and what she wants to gain out of it.

Sponsor

Staff online