• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2017 Tour de France

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Lance's commentary is well worth the listen.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Too bad Landa had to sacrifice himself to help Froome. Looks like he might be in the best shape of anyone and has some really solid TT skills. If Sky does not work him too hard he might make it onto the podium in Paris, perhaps even second place.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my team mates (ha ha!) wins the stage on a solo breakaway.

Celebration! :beercheer:

@LKLA, I agree with you on Landa. Here is how I see it: He continues as uber-domestique to Froome, then they both give it all they've got in the TT, after which the results may or may not change Sky's approach.

This race has gotten so much more interesting than it was a few days ago. Fun stuff!

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
One of my team mates (ha ha!) wins the stage on a solo breakaway.

Celebration! :beercheer:

@LKLA, I agree with you on Landa. Here is how I see it: He continues as uber-domestique to Froome, then they both give it all they've got in the TT, after which the results may or may not change Sky's approach.

This race has gotten so much more interesting than it was a few days ago. Fun stuff!

Hate to disagree but no it hasn't. First time since the boring Induran years that the Tour has no interest for me.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hate to disagree but no it hasn't. First time since the boring Induran years that the Tour has no interest for me.

Well, it's hard for me to imagine that it isn't more interesting now, with Froome showing at least some vulnerability, than it was a few days ago, when it looked like he'd just glide along through the rest of the event, all the way to Paris, in yellow.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, geez, I'm calling for a moment of silence and universal support for Edvald Boasson Hagen (AKA "Eddie Bo-Hawg"), who placed second for the THIRD time in this year's tour (I think I've got that right).

And poor Dan Martin gets caught out in crosswinds, and bang, there go ~50 seconds.

Other than that, not much to write home about today.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One heckuva solo breakaway by Roglic today, spoiling what I think was a plan for a stage win by Contador.

I think all pugskiers should celebrate this heartily, since he is a previous junior world champion ski jumper.

In my eyes, if somebody doesn't take time out of Froome tomorrow, it's his race with a bow on it.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tomorrow is a huge stage where just about anything can happen, but I think Froome saved some energy today by not going in the break away group so he should be able to hold on tomorrow. He can then "rest" for a day or two ahead of the individual TT.

Contador can't catch a break. Not sure he has what it takes but it's new a rough last couple of tours for him with all the falls.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Contador seems like yesterday's man. Maybe he just isn't eating as many steaks these days. Aru looks like a flash in the pan on this tour. Quintana hasn't been in the game at all - question why he is even riding. Maybe there was a plan for him to be uber domestique for Valverde.

Uran probably no 1 threat and with all his wheel sucking is probably freshest.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Contador has one more year in him and by that I mean finishing in the top 20 / top 10, not as a favorite to win any of the three big tours. Having said that, you have to admit the guy had had some bad luck the past couple of years with falls, not to mention the craziness that was team Tinkoff.

I said earlier in the thread how I though Valverde was the ace for Movistar and I think that is the case given what a poor showing Quintana has put forth. I think they had Quintana as the Giro guy and Valverde as their main guy for the TDF.

Lets see what happens today. The individual TT will also be key but it is not very long (around 25K?) so not sure how much time can be gained or lost on the TT.

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, geez, I'm calling for a moment of silence and universal support for Edvald Boasson Hagen (AKA "Eddie Bo-Hawg"), who placed second for the THIRD time in this year's tour (I think I've got that right).

Well , Son of a Gun!! doesn't he finally do it. After some seconds and thirds. Props to him

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Think you might call him motivated when he got that elbow flick to take his turn. Rather priceless when Arndt realised who he'd waved through.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
THE NORWEGIAN HAWG WINS ONE!!!!

(Though I think it might have been his fourth or fifth career T d'F stage win)

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I kinda like Froome but I missed Porte and Valverde. While I'm bummed about Sagan and Cavendish, Matthews is a worthy champion. Barguil dominated the polka dot but it was fun to have Americans wear it for a few days. Sky was the best team.

It was fun following the Tour.

Eric

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Barguil dominated the polka dot but it was fun to have Americans wear it for a few days.

Eric

Agree on Barguil. It's actually pretty uncommon for the (arguably, maybe) best climber in the Tour to also win the polka dot jersey. More often, it's a Mr. Consistency or somebody who is such a minor threat that he's always cheerfully allowed into all the breaks.

Good for France. They may have a future GC contender with him.

Sponsor