• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review 2017 Tester's Choice

TPJ

Like PBJ, but not as ubiquitous!
Instructor
Just curious... There are no Fischers in your reviews. Is this because they weren't tested, or because they didn't stand out? I have had a relationship with Fischer for the last several seasons and have found the skis to be excellent and the company to seem a little "ambivalent". Last year the Motive 95 could have been the best sleeper ski from what people were saying about it online, but it didn't sell well. I think it's the best OSQ that I've ever had for the type of skiing I do. Fischer stopped making the Motives and introduced the All Mountain or Pro Mountain or whatever they are called this year. Nobody has reviewed them. Do anyone know why? I will be on a fresh pair of the new 95 and 86 models this season and will find out what they are like soon.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@TPJ they didn't get tested. We had limited time in Colorado and they were between reps in our region out here. Let's see if they can get into the rotation for 2017-18.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Question about DPS skis. You may have covered this in a DPS-specific thread - if so, just point me to it.

What's the difference between the Foundation and the Pure line in simple terms?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Question about DPS skis. You may have covered this in a DPS-specific thread - if so, just point me to it.

What's the difference between the Foundation and the Pure line in simple terms?
Construction. Simple enough? ;) DPS using an all new construction in the Foundation collection, I think it gives the proven DPS shapes a more mainstream feel without losing their DNA and what we like about the way they make their skis.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Construction. Simple enough? ;) DPS using an all new construction in the Foundation collection, I think it gives the proven DPS shapes a more mainstream feel without losing their DNA and what we like about the way they make their skis.

Hah. Okay, a little more complexity. The Foundation is cheaper than the Pure - what's up with that? Usually new construction != cheaper.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hah. Okay, a little more complexity. The Foundation is cheaper than the Pure - what's up with that? Usually new construction != cheaper.
Yes it is less expensive, hence the more obtainable $799 price point.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
as Phil said - $ 500 less and made in China, carbon stringers vs full carbon build on the P3 and this for comparison.....

http://www.escaperoute.ca/DPS-Wailer-106-Foundation-vs-Pure3-Review_b_28.html

Just got a pair of F106s that arrived last week after consult with Phil, blister and Cameron from DPS, their ski finder tool is kinda neat on the web site,
must say a beautiful finish. Cant find much info out there on the F124 " powder pig ? " That looks fun !

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

pcjer

Booting up
Skier
as Phil said - $ 500 less and made in China, carbon stringers vs full carbon build on the P3 and this for comparison.....

http://www.escaperoute.ca/DPS-Wailer-106-Foundation-vs-Pure3-Review_b_28.html

Just got a pair of F106s that arrived last week after consult with Phil, blister and Cameron from DPS, their ski finder tool is kinda neat on the web site,
must say a beautiful finish. Cant find much info out there on the F124 " powder pig ? " That looks fun !

Old thread found looking for other opinions on the DPS Lotus skis. I picked up a pair of pure 3 lotus 120s and got them out today on a rope drop bowl. It was probably the most fun I've ever had skiing powder. I really don't like them on hard pack but that's not what they're for anyway, and they're good enough to get back to the lift so that's all that matters. I'd highly recommend picking up a pair. Since they've been replaced by the 124s (I think) there are deals to be had. I got mine for about 30% of their retail price. A total steal. In my mind they are for 12" plus days, cat, heli, etc.

So I guess my point is if the 124 is anywhere close or better than the 120s (which are actually 122) they'll probably be very fun. Although I'd go for last year's model in pure 3 instead of foundation and save some cash too.

Paul S.

Keeping an old man young, one turn at a time.
Skier
Attitash Bretton Wds Wildcat NH/ Powder Mtn UT
Way back on page 1 of this thread Finndog said the following regarding powder skis: "Yes, I do agree that they need to work on soft bumps too but groomer performance is something I dont even want to know about for these skis :) I hope they dont see any groomed the day I use them". I agree, because the next step after powder on a powder day is chowder and then soft bumps. So it seems that the amount of deflection is a fairly important characteristic of a powder ski for me these days, but groomed snow and hard snow performance are not.

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor

Staff online