• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review 2017 Tester's Choice

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Thx Phil - going to look into the Attacks with someone who will sell multiple plates - brakes may be an issue given the fact I'm schlepping different width boards, no ?

Our rep doesn't even have multiple individual plates.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thx Phil - going to look into the Attacks with someone who will sell multiple plates - brakes may be an issue given the fact I'm schlepping different width boards, no ?
You will not be able to buy multiple plates, I am sure of that. All you are doing is taking the binding apart.

IMG_2350.JPG

But by doing this, it does make the skis much lighter and easier to travel with. I know I can put another 50% in my ski box and I just put the binding bodies in a large box. Actually having the brakes still attached the base, does hold the skis together well.

pile

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Yes, but the mount mark has been moved forward a bit.

Has the mount also been moved forward for the 98's? And if so, how much? I'm looking to mount a pair of 2016 Monster 98's

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Yes. It's either .5 or 1. I'll ping the rep and get the actual number. I still prefer mine forward of even the new mark.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Yes. It's either .5 or 1. I'll ping the rep and get the actual number. I still prefer mine forward of even the new mark.

Ok... I was right both times! :) .5 on the 88 and 1 on the 98 per our rep.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ok... I was right both times! :) .5 on the 88 and 1 on the 98 per our rep.
You are so smart. Thanks, that is great info to have to keep in the databanks.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Dumber than a box of hammers... I just know who to ask and hope they're right. :roflmao:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hey, for the demographic of ladies rehabbing their knees who need to stick to groomers for a season and *not* put a lot of Gs on their knees - would any of this list make the cut? I'm wondering about the Flair 81 and the Alluvit. (Although I think The Ski would be just fine - just not in love with its grip on boilerplate - although maybe I'm asking for conflicting requirements with "not a lot of Gs" and "grips boilerplate"?)
I'm amazed and happy that you will be back on snow again this winter. Wishing you the best rehab snow . . .

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have to agree with your assessment of the Dynastar Speed Zone 12ti. I demoed it in July and was thoroughly impressed. It performs the neat trick of being a great, damp carving ski on a smooth groomer, but was beautifully tractable in junkier conditions. The rep told me the Speed Zone 14ti is the same ski with the R21 (I guess) race plate.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have to agree with your assessment of the Dynastar Speed Zone 12ti. I demoed it in July and was thoroughly impressed. It performs the neat trick of being a great, damp carving ski on a smooth groomer, but was beautifully tractable in junkier conditions. The rep told me the Speed Zone 14ti is the same ski with the R21 (I guess) race plate.
Yeah. the 14 is a bit well, super charged. The plate is great, put a SPX15 Rocker flex on it and be prepared to lose your pass.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I really like the Tester's Choice graphic. Took me an embarrassingly long time to realize it wasn't an ad for instant coffee.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
NGT, the new matte finish verses the gloss of the first year, actually is very rich looking and worth the price difference.

Recently took a brief look at the Ski Magazine Gear issue ... you'd have thought the Monsters were brand new the way they talked about them!

It almost sounded like they just discovered the skis were made with graphene ... sad!!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Recently took a brief look at the Ski Magazine Gear issue ... you'd have thought the Monsters were brand new the way they talked about them!

It almost sounded like they just discovered the skis were made with graphene ... sad!!
Sometimes it takes a year for a ski to mature in reviews, it has happened to me in numerous cases. I would rather see that than a paper fire of a ski, a ski that is very popular iniitially then falls flat, that is more disconcerting.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Phil, you have the DPS and the Atomic Backland in the women's powder category here and the Volkl 100-Eight in that category in your Steals and Deals. Does that mean that the Volkl does not measure up to the other two except when price is taken into account? Still obsessing over and chomping at the bit to demo and compare the Volkls and Atomics. Maybe the DPS too? I discounted the K2s because I didn't like the Rossi S7s I briefly owned that went "over" the crud. Prefer to blast through it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, you have the DPS and the Atomic Backland in the women's powder category here and the Volkl 100-Eight in that category in your Steals and Deals. Does that mean that the Volkl does not measure up to the other two except when price is taken into account? Still obsessing over and chomping at the bit to demo and compare the Volkls and Atomics. Maybe the DPS too? I discounted the K2s because I didn't like the Rossi S7s I briefly owned that went "over" the crud. Prefer to blast through it.
All Steals & Deals are Testers Choices but not all Testers Choices are Steals & Deals. I did say I was remiss that I didn't include the Backlands in the S&D's.

Sponsor

Staff online