• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review 2017 Tester's Choice

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Hey, for the demographic of ladies rehabbing their knees who need to stick to groomers for a season and *not* put a lot of Gs on their knees - would any of this list make the cut? I'm wondering about the Flair 81 and the Alluvit. (Although I think The Ski would be just fine - just not in love with its grip on boilerplate - although maybe I'm asking for conflicting requirements with "not a lot of Gs" and "grips boilerplate"?)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey, for the demographic of ladies rehabbing their knees who need to stick to groomers for a season and *not* put a lot of Gs on their knees - would any of this list make the cut? I'm wondering about the Flair 81 and the Alluvit. (Although I think The Ski would be just fine - just not in love with its grip on boilerplate - although maybe I'm asking for conflicting requirements with "not a lot of Gs" and "grips boilerplate"?)
If the Flairs grip like most Volkl, then I'd say YES.
I'd love to demo them! If they have them in the demo shop, maybe I'll get the chance to. I mean, a mountain host needs to understand the skis offered in the demo fleet, right?? :D

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Monique The Flair 81 would be great, and also the Oooohla luv.
The flair may have a little more grip.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I totally agree with your comments overall, but I just want to be clear that when I said, "Dibs," it would be on the low range of the waists of last season's quiver, and I liked it on groomers and spring conditions. You don't need fresh snow to enjoy it.
But you did say Dibs :D

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes it was. :crash:
....glad to see you're healing well.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I love an edgy short-turner, but it's about the last thing I'd want to be on with a fragile knee.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I love an edgy short-turner, but it's about the last thing I'd want to be on with a fragile knee.

Soooooo- back to The Ski and not spending money on a front side ski?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think the FLAIR 81 is a little more cruisey and stable than the TheSki, which I feel is better in moguls and times when you want to "pop" around a bit.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I think the FLAIR 81 is a little more cruisey and stable than the TheSki, which I feel is better in moguls and times when you want to "pop" around a bit.

The trick of course would be finding them at a non MSRP price in time to actually ski them this season.... I shall make a separate thread about my "special needs" ... not that knee rehab is such an out there need for skiers

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was very interested in the new atomic backland 109 - 117 as well. Instead this year, I'll be doing long term testing of the DPS foundation wailer 106 in a 185.
Was going to go with the backland or the DPS 112F RP but after spending time talking to DPS on 112 and given that they are suggesting a 13 m radius ? I think I'm good with this years line up especially after reading both Phil's and the blisters reviews of the 106F. I think the only gap may be a super deep board. ( always an optimist - it's going to be a great year with epic weekday powder ) I'm thinking the lotus 120 or perhaps the bent chetler.

Problem now I have to figure out now how to get three pairs of boards in the travel bag? Will be also testing the dakine concourse double along the DPS quiver bags. Perhaps a demo binder that interchanges with the other pairs - wondering if marker has extra demo rails to spare, given the state they are in ?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was very interested in the new atomic backland 109 - 117 as well. Instead this year, I'll be doing long term testing of the DPS foundation wailer 106 in a 185.
Was going to go with the backland or the DPS 112F RP but after spending time talking to DPS on 112 and given that they are suggesting a 13 m radius ? I think I'm good with this years line up especially after reading both Phil's and the blisters reviews of the 106F. I think the only gap may be a super deep board. ( always an optimist - it's going to be a great year with epic weekday powder ) I'm thinking the lotus 120 or perhaps the bent chetler.

Problem now I have to figure out now how to get three pairs of boards in the travel bag? Will be also testing the dakine concourse double along the DPS quiver bags. Perhaps a demo binder that interchanges with the other pairs - wondering if marker has extra demo rails to spare, given the state they are in ?

The Tyrolia Attack Demos are great for this, no tools are needed.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Not $280 different. 2016 -$419 2017 - $698 Hopefully price will drop was actually skiing happens in the Midwest.

$419 vs $698 for the same ski... I'd ski the glossy ones if that were my choice. :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The trick of course would be finding them at a non MSRP price in time to actually ski them this season.... I shall make a separate thread about my "special needs" ... not that knee rehab is such an out there need for skiers
I wish I'd have thought of this going through Colorado this past week. I'd have brought the test pair with me for you to try. Not sure when/if we'll be back through again

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I wish I'd have thought of this going through Colorado this past week. I'd have brought the test pair with me for you to try. Not sure when/if we'll be back through again

I won't be able to ski until late December or possibly January, so you'll probably be here for SIA before I can ski!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I won't be able to ski until late December or possibly January, so you'll probably be here for SIA before I can ski!

Oh, just checked dates, not quite. But I'm sure I'll start out on The Ski just to have a familiar baseline.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Black Majic could fit your needs also, stronger and narrower than The Ski and should be found pretty readily on the discount racks.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The Black Majic coudl fit your needs also, stronger and narrower than The Ski and should be found pretty readily on the discount racks.

Scott, right?

Sponsor