• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review 2017 Tester's Choice PREMIUM

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TASTER'S CHOICE PREMIUM 72 dpi Red.jpg

The Premiums. Go pour a couple of fingers of your favorite brown liquor and let's get started. We hold the skis here to a higher level, just as we hold a fine European automotive label to a higher expectation. Although numbers like flex and sidecut are similar to those of mortal skis, built for the commoner, these skis convey a difference in feel, a refinement that separates them from the masses. You often hear the comparisons "as good as" or “just like" -- but most other skis are just not as good as or just like, they just aren’t. Yes, I have said,"The Head Monster 88 gives you 9/10 the performance of the Kästle MX89 for 3/4 the price,” but it is that last tenth that defines the Kästle over the Head. This is in no way a knock on the Head; in fact, it is quite an accomplishment that Head can make such a great ski for such an obtainable price, yet there is still a place for Kästle and other premiums.

We often talk about another premium marque, the yin to Kästle’s yang: Stöckli. Where Kästle goes to the big mountain comps and adventure arenas with skiers like Griffin Post and Chris Davenport, Stöckli is on the World Cup with top woman racers such as Tina Maze and Julia Mancuso. Its Lazer series is an encompassing collection of hard-snow skis, its Stormriders are refined and supple like a large sedan; Kästle’s MX, FX, and BMX are more high-horsepower, utilitarian chargers. Neither is right or wrong; it is just two different paths to each brand's perception of skiing nirvana.

Two other brands are represented in the Tester's Choice Premiums: one might be more familiar than you realize, and the other is new to the industry. Blossom is an Italian manufacturer that has been building skis for other brands such as some early race skis for Nordica (before it joined with Blizzard), Vist, Hart, and some under their own name in Europe. Blossom has been trying to break into the U.S. market through independent distributors over the past few seasons, but it is difficult and costly. Our team tested Blossoms at Copper this past year; I have tried numerous times since then to contact the current U.S. distributor to see if they will actually make it to the U.S. market, but still no word. We are still posting the reviews, but it might be for naught if they do not become available.

The second, and newer, brand is Renoun. Renoun started building skis based solely on a technology it calls HDT (Hyper Damping Technology). How good is HDT? Good enough for an ISPO Gold Award in Munich. ISPO does not just hand out Golds at the door; it takes them very seriously, and HDT does work. Cyrus Schenk reached out to us last season to review his skis, and our testers were universally impressed.

Hard-Snow Frontside
Blossom Great Shape
Dimensions: 121-71-106
Radius: 16m@176cm

"This is a sports car -- think of a red one, maybe with a prancing horse on the side, but with Audi pricing." --Philpug
Blossom Great Shape.png
One word, deceptive. The folks in this little Italian village just know how to build skis. I am not sure if it is the wine or the food, but there is something that makes these technicians in the old Spalding factory build some of the best skis on the planet. You would think a ski with these dimensions would be at one end of the spectrum or the other, an entry-level recreational ski or a top-level instrument. The Great Shape covers almost that whole range where all but the most novice skier could ski it yet the highest-level PSIA Examiner could still give any demonstration and not be limited. I would question if there is a better 71mm ski on the market right now. Insider tip: These are offered in 5cm increments, so you won't fall between sizes.

Blossom White Out
Dimensions: 131-77-111
Radius: 15m@170cm

"If you have never been on a carver (or if it’s been a while), do yourself a favor and ski a Blossom" --SkiNurse
White Out.png
The White Out (and the Wind Shear, its 77mm counterpart with slightly different dimensions) is the perfect example that quality never goes out of style, that a great ski stands the test of time. On paper, it is unassuming -- and to an extent unimpressive, if you just look at the numbers. But as I've said before, do not judge a ski by the numbers. We don’t ski on paper, we ski on snow, and that is where the White Out separates itself from the every other upper-70mm-hard-snow-biased ski. Blossom has the innate ability to give its skis a connection to the snow that few others can, a refinement that gives their skis a certain [waving hand] je ne sais quoi [/waving hand].

Stöckli Laser AX
Dimensions: 126-78-109
Radius: 15.8m@175cm

"The Laser AX epitomizes refinement." --Philpug
Laser AX.png
The Laser AX could be about the easiest high-performance ski ever produced: it is just as comfortable at 5 mph as it is at 50. Give the AX to an intermediate with a good foundation of skills and just sit back and watch the progress. This makes the Laser AX one of the best values on the market, because it replaces three skis: this one and your next two.

Stöckli Laser SX
Dimensions: 120-70-99
Radius: 12.6m@170cm

Wow, this thing is solid! I was skeptical of the 70mm ski but this one was great!" --WadeHoliday

Laser SX.png
I remember when I first put Chris Ryman on a pair of SXs; he called to personally thank me for putting him on the finest ski he had ever been on. The Laser SX is not a tool; it is a finely tuned instrument. There is a smoothness and refinement that Stöckli brings to the SX that no other ski has. There is no top end in its suggested environment, but it won't embarrass you when you want to relax.

All-Mountain Frontside

Kästle MX84
Dimensions: 128-84-112
Radius: 16.3m@176cm

"The perception is that this is a minor change, but there is a beautiful difference in how they initiate a turn. You get the same Kästle smoothness with a fresh new feel. " --Tricia
MX84.png

Kästle MX89
Dimensions: 129-89-113
Radius: 18m@180cm

"Plenty of skis out there perform on hard snow, but few can reach into the sublime with trees, crud, and bumps with the ease that the MX does." — Fairtomiddlin
MX89.png
Kästle had the difficult task of bettering two of the most revered skis ever produced. Attempting such a feat has a slim success rate and a high cost of failure, a cost that could be devastating for a boutique ski builder. Kästle didn’t just bet on black, they bet on black 31. And they won, which means that as skiers who appreciate the finest, we win. The new MXs are better in every way than the outgoing collection. Kästle stayed true to the design's heritage while tweaking the constructions that made these skis so sought after, and in doing so, did the one thing we have been begging for: changed the size offerings. Kästle went from 10cm size increments on the original MX series to 7cm breaks, so now there is little chance of falling in between sizes. Thank you Chris and Jesse for listening.

Renoun Z-90

Dimensions: 136-90-124
Radius: 16.5m@182cm

”Hey Phil, can I borrow them for the rest of the season??” --Bud Heishman

Renoun Z90.png
Every so often, a special ski comes along; you know it as soon as you get off the lift and the bases touch the snow. The Z-90 is one of those skis. I could not get over how the ski felt on snow; it felt different. Different is not always good, but when different is better, oh my. I was immediately skeptical, Was it this good? I needed a reality check, so I got them on the feet of @bud heishman, and he was wowed, too. Then I took them to @DoryBreaux, one of our 11/10th skiers; he agreed and wants to get on the 182. On to the Colorado testers and a few others, and everyone concurred: these skis are truly special. Okay, now we are off to the races. @Cyrus Schenck and Renoun have a few areas of visual refinement to work on, but Renoun and specifically the Z-90 are indeed the real deal. There are skis I have to ski … this is a ski I want to ski.

Stöckli Stormrider 85 Motion
Dimensions: 127-84-109
Radius: 15.2m@167cm

“Don’t try it unless you’re ready to buy it.” --Tricia
Stormrider 83.png

Stöckli Stormrider 88
Dimensions: 127-88-113
Radius: 19m@177cm

”Every time I get on the Stormrider 88, I am always impressed by just how smooth and refined it is.” —Philpug
Stormrider 88.png
I am not sure there is another ski as intuitive as the Stormrider 88. No matter what the conditions are, nothing bothers it. Boilerplate, ice, crud, trees, you name it, the ski reacts exactly the same. Whatever Stöckli does to make its skis so smooth is amazing. The same can be said about the women’s version, the Stormrider 85 Motion, the one women's-specific ski in the Premium category. So, what makes it a woman's ski? Different construction or modified shape? No, instead the Stormrider 85 is a a bit softer and more compliant to accommodate a lighter skier. But why put limitations on a ski based on graphics: many lighter men will get just as much out of this ski as any woman.

All-Mountain Backside

Kästle FX95 and FX95 HP
Dimensions: 126-95-115
Radius: 20m@181cm

"It's a Kästle. Fit, finish, and materials are impeccable, the graphics are distinct, tasty and look very good on snow. You get what you pay for there." --Alexzn
FX95HP.png
The FX95 and FX95 HP are skis that our testers love, so much that I think at least a half dozen have an FX in their personal arsenal. Our testers have access to dozens of skis; some of our long-term test skis are available for them to ski at almost any time. What do they do? They go out and buy FX95s, not much more can be said than that.

The new FXs (and to an extent the bigger BMXs, which will be discussed down the page) were the biggest departure from Kästle's comfort zone when they were released 2 years ago. It was like when the European car manufacturers realized they needed to progress with the times and do what the market wanted, therefore started coming out with SUVs. The outgoing FX94 felt lighter and more nimble than the more traditional MX, but you still recognized that MX DNA. The new FX is a complete shift; it has added purpose off-piste, and in mixed conditions, not much can disturb it. The FXs are offered in both non-HP and HP versions, aka without metal and with it. Think power and super power.

Renoun Endurance 98 v2
Dimensions: 121-98-115
Radius: 22m@178cm

"Dances in powder and trucks in crud and windload and even had great stability and edge hold in icy windbuffed. Wow!" --Ron
Renoun E98.png
The Endurance 98 really shows off Renoun's HDT. No matter what the mixed conditions actually are, they feel like smooth windbuff. This young upstart of a ski goes head to head with the Kästle FX95; think of a Koenigsegg going up to a Porsche, punching it in the throat, and saying, “Deal with it." The Endurance 98 might not have the nth degree of visual refinement of some other skis here, but the performance is all there. Each pair of skis that Renoun has sent us has been notably better visually, better than most but not as good as some. If you are looking at skis in this range, put the Endurance 98 on your short list.

Stöckli Stormrider 95
Dimensions: 131-95-120
Radius: 19.2m@183cm

"If you find two pairs at clearance pricing, I'll pay you a finder's fee for one of them. Should you find them and elect not to tell me, I will follow you around the mountain, waiting for you to crash embarrassingly, whereupon I will deliver a belittling sportscasteresque recap of your crash, much like the Japanese dude imitating Howard Cosell in Better Off Dead." --Fairtomiddlin

Stormrider 95.png
We have run out of superlatives to describe how we feel about the Stormrider 95, the ski is just that good -- so good, so smooth, so everything you want out of a 95mm ski. Think about the best attributes you want in a mate, then think about the best ice cream you ever tasted, combine that with the best Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab album you ever heard on the best audio system, that will just start to describe the greatness of this ski.

One Oh Somethings

Kästle BMX105 and BMX105 HP

Dimensions: 134-105-123
Radius: 21m@181cm

"It's like taking all the power, forgiveness and strength of a Baja race truck and mixing it with the finesse and refinement of a grand touring super car. Except it's a ski." --Dory Breaux
BMX 105.png
The beauty of the new BMX 105 is that it likes gravity but doesn’t require it; so many of the One Oh Somethings need momentum to get going. Kästle's new FX and BMX collections really lend themselves to off-piste and mixed snow conditions, and in my opinion the 105 is the best of the bunch. If you want the power and unlimited top end, get the HP; for mortals who don’t want to give the ski 100% of the attention 100% of the time, the regular, nonmetal version is more than acceptable.

Stöckli Stormrider 107
Dimensions: 135-107-128
Radius: 19.2m@183cm

"I have to say this is the finest inbounds and sidecountry powder ski I have ever owned. No other ski I have ever clicked into seemingly does so many things so well even though it just doesn't seem like it should." --Ron
Stormrider 107.png
For years the Stormrider name created images of being big and burly and overly demanding, skis that would chew you up and spit you out to the point you would cry “I’m not worthy" and the Stormrider would just say, “No, mortal, you are not worthy to ride these tools of the gods.” The times, oh they have changed. Now, the SR107 is another one of those skis that villages sing praises to. Last year Stöckli added carbon to the extremities, and that subtle difference in construction took the Stormrider 107 to stratospheric levels of refinement usually reserved for a fine tiramisu or Morgan Freeman’s voice. There is smooth, and there is Stöckli smooth. Will the Stormrider 107 run? Absolutely, but it does not need to. (It will entice you to, though: resistance is futile.)

Artwork: @Dave Petersen

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have had numerous e-mails, PMs and carrier pigeons: Where are the Stocklis?? Where are the Kastles???? Where are the Renouns??? Well @Jed Peters, @Cyrus Schenck, @bud heishman here they are. Start checking the limits of your credit cards and consider ordering one or more of the best skis on the market.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Is it blasphemy to say that the Renoun Endurance 98 just bettered the Enforcer 100? Well, the Enforcer is that good of a ski and yet the 98 IMHO just dethroned it..... :thumb:

Last edited:

palmettoski

Booting up
Skier
It is difficult to explain the feeling the Z-90 produces. as the speed increases the ski actually seems to calm down. At slow speeds it is a playful, but as your speed climbs the ski seems to almost "relax". My impression was that the relaxed feel was almost spooky.
Can't wait to receive the pair of 77s I have on order.
Do yourselves a favor, find a pair of RENOUN skis to try. It will be worth the effort.

Last edited:

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
How similar are the blossom white outs/wind shears to the Hart Pulse they used to make?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How similar are the blossom white outs/wind shears to the Hart Pulse they used to make?
Wind Shears are the same ski, and the same as the Vist Free3 which makes this one of the oldest molds to still be used today.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For the record I'll be getting Stockli SR 88-s this fall and then they'll have to fight it out with the AX-s for slope time.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For the record I'll be getting Stockli SR 88-s this fall and then they'll have to fight it out with the AX-s for slope time.
Not one person here would fault you and most envy you for doing it.

scottmartin49

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Glad I bought those Hart Pulse's for my daughter last year. ;)

(Me being an ol' Spaulding fan didn't hurt!)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Some of these need to make it to Utah for some "testing", me thinks :D
Except, I'm not sure I want to know how good they are first-hand.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did you read my quote?
:toast

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It is difficult to explain the feeling the Z-90 produces. as the speed increases the ski actually seems to calm down.

Yes, this^^^. I'm not sure what voodoo @Cyrus Schenck puts in ALL the Renoun skis he makes, but this is a constant. The world slows down at ape-scalding speeds on Renouns. The ride is so smooth and secure that you want more, more, more and the Renouns are there for you from the 98 to the 90 to the 77. Renoun is becoming my gold standard to judge other brands against.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, this^^^. I'm not sure what voodoo @Cyrus Schenck puts in ALL the Renoun skis he makes, but this is a constant. The world slows down at ape-scalding speeds on Renouns. The ride is so smooth and secure that you want more, more, more and the Renouns are there for you from the 98 to the 90 to the 77. Renoun is becoming my gold standard to judge other brands against.
I think Cyrus made a deal with the devil. Every smooth turn that is made on one of his skis, he gives the devil an hour of his life. For that reason I don't think @Cyrus Schenck is going to have a long life.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Oh, yes you do. ;):drool:

You know, I'm thinking these skis all need to be tested in the PNW. Nudge nudge.

*other than the summer skiing at Timberline on Renoun's website

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think @Olesya C bought some Renouns at the end of last season to replace her Kenjas??

Sponsor

Staff online