• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review 2017 Stockli Stormrider 97 vs. Kastle FX95HP

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
Kastle FX95 HP and Stockli Stormrider 97 shootout!

I recently had a chance to ski the Kastle FX95 HP and Stockli Stormrider 97 back to back! Conditions were just about perfect. 6-10” overnight, blower mid 15-degree snow, overtop a nice “2 foot of new over the past week” base. Terrain was exclusively backside, aside from one groomer on each ski: steeps with new snow and blasting debris, lower angle new snow and cruddy tree skiing; and smaller crud bumps forming in spots.

The Skis: Stockli Stormrider 97, 177cm. The 97 is a wider Stormrider 88. It shares the superlight core with the SR88, comes in similar lengths. Weight is VERY light for a ski of this width, being a full descent-oriented ski. It was designed with AT as well as alpine use in mind. I will get real weights up soon of both models: if pressed, I would guess a 300g weight difference between the 2 skis at minimum.

Kastle FX95HP: one of the best all-around off-piste skis ever conceived. Most of my friends are on this ski; it is strong in all of the areas an off-piste ski should be, yet is incredibly forgiving for this level of performance.

first test run of the day was backside on Mt. Bachelor. Funky windblown terrain all over the place, it can feel like you are skiing up and down the backsides of whales out there after a storm. The snow was hardpacked and chunky in spots, creamy and smooth in others. Down into the trees, the snow became less wind affected for a few turns before hitting the cat track back to the lift. The SR97 is very easy to pilot in uneven, weird snow and terrain. I always knew what the ski was doing underfoot. The radius of the ski, the softness of the tip, favors moderate radius turns, fall line skiing, trees, to wide open 40mph+ crud crushing. Float was perfect on the tip, it snorkels well in the windpack, getting out of the snow on each turn transition. The tail is very easygoing, no surprises, unless you really want to load back there. If so, it does act like a coiled spring, with plenty of energy should you want it, yet when skied neutral, the tail does just what you expect. In the softer snow, float is more than adequate on this 12” plus new day at my weight. Quickness in the trees, extremely easy and predictable.

Moving to the same run on the FX95HP, I was struck at the difference in feel. The SR97 is light, lively, dances over the snow. The FX95HP is grounded, damp, heavier on the snow. The tip has a bit more rocker and taper, also the tail has rocker, unlike the SR97. The 95HP skis at the same functional length as the 97; it feels so much different tracking however. In junky snow, the 97 is a touch easier; the soft tip makes the difference. The 95 is a little more punchy and locked in during this terrain. The tail is stiffer on the 95, not as much energy. Release is similar to the 97 however: rockered tail but stiffer on the 95. The 97 flexes out of the turn more and feels like it is rockered, even though it isn't. When dropping into the quick trees, the 95HP is a touch more work to maneuver than the 97; it is heavier on it's feet.

2nd and 3rd run: higher speed above treeline skiing, some blasting slough, good snow mixed in. Down low, dealing with small bumps forming in skied out terrain. The 97, up top, met it's match at these bigger speeds. When hitting debris chunks at speed, and really laying these skis over at speed on the windpack, I found the limit of the tip. The ski gave me deflection and a lot more de-cambering action than the HP. The speed limit in this chop was around 30-35mph: above that, the 97 wasn't happy. For those of you wondering, the SR95 from Stockli is the traditional big-mountain ski, it shows no such weakness. Once I dropped into the skied out areas below, which were bumping up, heavily skied tree areas, the 97 is again in it's element. Very quick on its feet, lithe, buttery pivots when necessary, tip is perfect for this terrain and speed. The mid-section of the ski has more than enough grip, but the tip has just the right amount of lateral stiffness and bite.

Onto the FX95HP here: and we have a mirror image of the SR97. Above the treeline, nothing shakes the HP; the ski takes a Terminator approach to rough snow, eliminating anything in its path. That same chunk that was giving the soft tip trouble on the 97 is not even registering as an obstacle on the 95HP. No sane speed limit on the 95HP, although it is around 5-10mph under the even more ridiculous MX89 in 180cm. I lay the ski over onto edge, let her rip, and can arc out serious turns in that junky snow. It feels like what I would imagine driving an exotic sports car at 155mph on the Authbahn is; easy to drive much faster than the perceived rate of speed. This ski is made for big, open, terrain. Once dropping in a bit lower, into those tight bumps, the 95HP, although very good, simply doesn't have the dancing shoes of the 97. It's a great bump and tree ski, don't get me wrong, but the 97 is simply more dialed here. Releases are a bit more work, I have to pay more attention to what the tip and tail is doing. I would estimate the 95HP as 10% more work in tighter trees and bumps; the 97 molds to the terrain features better than the 95HP. Again, heavier on the snow, not as quick.

Last run, groomers: the 97 is quick and playful, a bit more energy. The 95 has more top end, as we would expect by now, a damp GS feel. Both rip, but are very different

Conclusion: the 95HP and 97 are simply different skis for different skiers. The 95 non-HP would be a more balanced comparison. The 95HP is the “do everything, but spending at least a fair amount of time in bigger turns, higher speeds” ski. The 97 is “ski everything, but more suited to smaller turns, tighter terrain, moderate speeds”. As noted above, the 97 is the Stormrider 88 in a wider width. If you love the 88, you will love the 97. For more aggressive skiers , bigger turns at speed, who, say ski Mammoth Mountain, the 95HP (or Stormrider 95) is the obvious choice. Those that spend more time in the fall line, shorter turns, and bumps at Mammoth, the 97 or Kastle 95 (non-HP). Someone skiing Colorado trees and bumps primarily can go with either; skiing style will dictate. East Coast trees and ice: I would lean toward the Stormrider 97 (or 95 non-HP), it should have more than enough grip, yet is so easy in those tight spaces where forgiveness and ease is at a premium. Also, as forgiving as the 95HP is, the 97 is even more so, making it more suitable to those who are still improving and don't yet have elite skills (as is the 95 non-HP). I know Stockli is marketing the 97 as an “AT” ski, which is a bit misleading, as the 88 is marketed as an all-around ski.

Any questions, feel free to contact me here. The 97 is $899 and we have our remaining two pair at $675. I have all SR95's at $850 flat right now. We are at 20% off on all 95's as well, both HP and non. The 97 is in a 2 year product cycle (no changes till 2019) and the Kastle 95's changed slightly next year, but I couldn't tell a difference without skiing them back to back. The SR95 changes next year, loses the carbon, different lengths, and we are taking pre-season orders with a package discount.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Next year's SR95 also loses the carbon tip inserts.

TS
dawgcatching

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
From looking at their website it seems the SR97 is a Touring specific ski. Emphasis in light weight. It has different graphics and does not have the visible inserts in the tips.

The "touring specific" is misleading and it pisses the rep off to no end: the 97 has the same core as the SR88. It can be used as a touring ski; but the weight isn't world beating, something like 1650g per ski. It's more of a descent-focused AT ski, or resort ski for those looking for something more forgiving in tight trees and bumps. Performance is similar to a soft-snow focused ski like an Armada TST or 7 series from Rossignol (IMO a much better ski than those 2, however).

A similar ski would be the Fischer Ranger 98, in terms of design. Light, resort capable, great with an AT setup as well as an alpine setup. Or, the Kastle FX95 (non-HP).

It isn't a lightweight like the Blizzard Zero G, that ski is really too soft for a lot of resort conditions, but then, it is 1300g after all!

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great reviews as usual! Hey Scott, there is a dawgcatching on the rennlist forums -- is this you!

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Picked up an SR95 today in a shop - very light at least to me. 183 length. I wanted to give it a demo but trying to get some Boot things ironed out and didn't really want another variable. What's the deal on the 2018 lengths? 183 skis short, right?

Btw - the ski was beautifully finished.

TS
dawgcatching

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
Picked up an SR95 today in a shop - very light at least to me. 183 length. I wanted to give it a demo but trying to get some Boot things ironed out and didn't really want another variable. What's the deal on the 2018 lengths? 183 skis short, right?

Btw - the ski was beautifully finished.

The 2018 is carried over from the 2017. Lengths are actually 177/186. Yes, skis short. 186cm will likely feel 3-4cm shorter than the 183cm SR95 in terms of stability. More playful, great ski if you are looking for something different than the typical ultra-stable, powerful SR95.

TS
dawgcatching

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
Luckily, I have some seat time in both. 997 GTS track day last spring....that car is raw. One of my good customers has a track tuned 997 GT3, we are hoping he invites us along this year. His DD is a McLaren 540C.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
The 2018 is carried over from the 2017. Lengths are actually 177/186. Yes, skis short. 186cm will likely feel 3-4cm shorter than the 183cm SR95 in terms of stability. More playful, great ski if you are looking for something different than the typical ultra-stable, powerful SR95.

Thanks - BTW I spent some time in Birmingham, AL w/ Porsche last Fall - the GT3 felt very "raw" The GT4 was very nice but to be honest, I liked the 991 GTS the best if I was to own one. They were delivering a 918 - which was ridiculous

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Luckily, I have some seat time in both. 997 GTS track day last spring....that car is raw. One of my good customers has a track tuned 997 GT3, we are hoping he invites us along this year. His DD is a McLaren 540C.
Since I've only walked through your store browsing and I don't own cars like that I know that customer is not me :huh:. However that may change this year as I am looking for some new skis and you carry what I'm looking for:). But that's another thread.

ChrisJ

Booting up
Skier
Great review Scott and loved your feedback on the FX95HP terminator attitude to higher speeds and mixed snow. I ski the same 181 at 185lbs and it's plenty powerful enough so not to need the 189 - which I found to be a Gun - and I own an MX98... Still would like to try the FX95 non hp in 189 as I love the feel of the non metal BMX's.

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had FX95-HP for a brief spell this year, and BMX105-HP last season ( both 181cm ) and found both to be just a little bit too much ski.
I liked my SR95 183 a bit better as a bit lighter and more traditional shape.
I just acquired a set of flat non-HP BMX105 181 while away on my ski trip last week, and can hopefully comment on those when I take them out to Tremblant in 2 weeks.

Hey Scott, Cool that you are into P-cars ! I searched for your posts too at Rennlist to see what you are into.
I had several BMW M cars over the years but once you go Porsche there is no going back.
Also, since your $US dollar is worth 30% more, take a peek at cars in Canada as plenty of Porsches in Vancouver & Toronto & Montreal.
Check Porsche Canada website for dealer inventory or AutoTrader.ca
... now if I had only I kept my teenage-dream 1989 Turbo that I had from 2002-2005 -> that would have been a helluva profit flip the way the values have escalated !

~ Andy

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Scott's review on the SR97 and their easiness for a moderate speed skier had them on my radar. As mentioned above, both the FX95-HP and BMX105-HP in 181 were too much ski for me, though I really like my BMX105 non-HP 181. In the offseason, I ended up snagging a deal on some new SR97 177cm , and had Attack 13 demos installed. 177 is good length for me in this type of ski, compared to my previous SR95 183 ( carbon tip & tail version ). I gave the SR97 a great base & edge tune with my collection of diamond stones, a fresh wax, and set the bindings at 1 click forward, so at +0.5cm.

I was first out at my local groomer yesterday , starting out with my favourite older Scale Delta 177. I skied those while the snow was still nice and smooth and mostly flat. Man, that ski just suits me so well still ! After my coffee break I put on the SR97 for a few runs. The temps warmed up and lots of clumpy snow now. Underfoot the SR97 had such a similar feel to my Scale Deltas, almost couldn't tell I did a ski swap, they were so easy to ski. They were naturally a bit stiffer being a wider platform, and the snow wasn't that bad for them to exhibit their added performance. I felt the tail a bit more, so I need to futz with mount point a bit, or maybe I was getting a bit tired & sloppy. I now have them set for -1cm and will start with that in my next outing. They were also much turny'r than I expected. Again my mount point could be off, providing too much tip engagement. I also have them crazy sharp so may have to detune the tip and tails a bit. Overall, I think this is my kinda ski and look forward to bringing them, along with the BMX105, on my upcoming trip. FYI I'm 51 yo, 5'9" 165lbs , just a casual rec skier.

I believe the SR97 existed for only 1 generation/year in the Stockli lineup , so not much info or reviews out there.
Scott, as usual does the killer reviews, as he just did with his recent 2019 Stockli lineup here:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/2019-stockli-lineup-overview.12749/

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Scott's review on the SR97 and their easiness for a moderate speed skier had them on my radar. As mentioned above, both the FX95-HP and BMX105-HP in 181 were too much ski for me, though I really like my BMX105 non-HP 181. In the offseason, I ended up snagging a deal on some new SR97 177cm , and had Attack 13 demos installed. 177 is good length for me in this type of ski, compared to my previous SR95 183 ( carbon tip & tail version ). I gave the SR97 a great base & edge tune with my collection of diamond stones, a fresh wax, and set the bindings at 1 click forward, so at +0.5cm.

I was first out at my local groomer yesterday , starting out with my favourite older Scale Delta 177. I skied those while the snow was still nice and smooth and mostly flat. Man, that ski just suits me so well still ! After my coffee break I put on the SR97 for a few runs. The temps warmed up and lots of clumpy snow now. Underfoot the SR97 had such a similar feel to my Scale Deltas, almost couldn't tell I did a ski swap, they were so easy to ski. They were naturally a bit stiffer being a wider platform, and the snow wasn't that bad for them to exhibit their added performance. I felt the tail a bit more, so I need to futz with mount point a bit, or maybe I was getting a bit tired & sloppy. I now have them set for -1cm and will start with that in my next outing. They were also much turny'r than I expected. Again my mount point could be off, providing too much tip engagement. I also have them crazy sharp so may have to detune the tip and tails a bit. Overall, I think this is my kinda ski and look forward to bringing them, along with the BMX105, on my upcoming trip. FYI I'm 51 yo, 5'9" 165lbs , just a casual rec skier.

I believe the SR97 existed for only 1 generation/year in the Stockli lineup , so not much info or reviews out there.
Scott, as usual does the killer reviews, as he just did with his recent 2019 Stockli lineup here:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/2019-stockli-lineup-overview.12749/

I wish the SR 97 still existed. :-(

Sponsor

Staff online