• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2017 Stöckli Stormrider 88 vs 2017 Kästle MX89

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ah, the blue-blood brothers from other mothers.

CAGE MATCH SR88 VS MX89.jpg

Few have skied either of these refined combinations of metal, wood, plastic, and rubber and thought, "Eh, they're just okay, I don't get what all the fuss is about." No, these skis are the reason skiers ask forgiveness after the purchase rather than permission before, the reason they would sell their firstborn to get a pair (if the wife questions it, they answer "we can make another one...") So, what separates them? Objective. Do you want the off-road version of a race car or the refinement of a super sedan? Neither is a bad choice.
  • Why choose the Stormrider 88? The SR88 is just as comfortable at 15 mph as it is at 50 mph. Of these two, it is most mature. The ease of the Stormrider is so deceptive that you forget how much ski is actually there.
  • Why choose the MX89? Ex-racers looking for an all-mountain instrument want this one. Very few skis combine so much power with so much versatility. There is a reason quality comes at a price.
  • Other skis in the class: None. A step down? Blizzard Brahma, Head Monster 88, Völkl Kendo.
@Dave Petersen Artwork​

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug So the Renoun Z-90 is not in this class? Since it wasn't mentioned as being a step down, is it two steps down?
The Renoun Z-90 has a completely different feel unto itself and very well will see its own Cage Match. :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I need to get on the Stormrider 88. The mx89 was just a sublime experience but for the money, I'd probably go with the Monster that ski is a hoot and a serious ski all wrapped up in one package.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love my SR88 so much that I grabed the SR94 end of year sale. Only got 1 night on slush so can not really say to much about them. But them 88s smooth

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Fairly certain I would love either of these...

But, alas, there is no room in the quiver for them....such is life...

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Which of the two is more forgiving?
The SR88 is the more forgiving one between these two. It is supple and refined, the Kastle is a bit tighter wound and has a smaller sweetspot but that adds to why is is more rewarding at speed.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Fairly certain I would love either of these...

But, alas, there is no room in the quiver for them....such is life...
You would. I would like to make some turns with you when you are on the Kastle, I think you would really enjoy it..on a midweek morning when you could let them run.

Last edited by a moderator:

skifotm

Booting up
Industry Insider
Still have a pair of MX 88's in the quiver. There is no better ride for early season New England conditions. They just laugh at the ice.

Calbearski

Booting up
Skier
Phil:

For your testing, where was your boot center mounted on the Stormriders relative to the manufacturers mark? Did you try multiple locations during your test?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
See other thread, center point works.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Phil:

For your testing, where was your boot center mounted on the Stormriders relative to the manufacturers mark? Did you try multiple locations during your test?

Yes, see the other post. My experience is that the center is PERFECT. I tried a set of demos that were about a cm back, and i thought the tips floated too much and I was too far over the tails. Moving the skis center made a huge difference.

YUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEE difference.

Sponsor

Staff online