• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2017 Salomon QST 99 Review

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
We just put together a review of the new 2017 Salomon QST 99. I had a ton of fun skiing these. Really playful, smears turns really well. It's one of those skis that does everything well and doesn't really have any significant downsides. Definitely more on the playful side. Click the image for the full review and I've embedded the video.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is a review I've been waiting to read. The QST 99 sounded great, but this is the first full review I've seen. Nice.

1. What length are you skiing on in the video? Do you have any length recommendations or caveats?

2. How's it stack up against the Enforcer?

3. having just gotten back from Colorado, I've been thinking about the ideal throw it in a ski bag and get on a plane ski (I'll usually bring two pairs, but this time only onE) Plus, east coast trees with the same ski would be a benefit. The Enforcer and Enforcer 93 have loomed larger in my consuming window, but I've been wondeerring about the new salomons, especially as the Outgoing Q series was a contender for this ski as well. How does the new QST compare to the Q98 and Q90?

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
I'll do my best to answer your questions:

1. 181cm. I'd say they ski pretty "true to size". I'm 5'10" 160 lbs. I typically prefer a ski in this category to be at least 180cm. If it has a ton of rocker then closer to 185cm. I was really happy on the 181cm. I personally wouldn't want to go shorter. Longer would be kind of fun to try, but only if I was skiing really open terrain and was mounting them closer to center.

2. It's a different animal than the Enforcer in my opinion. Two sheets of metal in the Enforcer vs the CFX Superfiber and single underfoot Ti plate in the QST give a nod towards the differences. I found the QST to be more playful than the Enforcer. It likes to leave the ground and jump around all nimbly bimbly. The Enforcer feels much damper and has a more power.

3. The QST 99 is pretty similar to the Q98, but I thought it skied much better. It's more stable, but is still easy to make quick turns on. I personally like the shape more on the QST than the Q98. They've taken out some of the "sharp" points to the early tapered tips which makes the ski much smoother and surfier (surfier should be a word.)

You've got two great skis with the Enforcer and the QST 99. If you're more of the hard charger, "let's go make Super G turns down this chopped up bowl at 50 MPH" go with the Enforcer. If you're more of the playful type skier who's always looking for things to jump off, places to make little slashing turns, tight lines that no one else has skied, etc, go with the QST 99. It's still got enough stability for high speed skiing, but it really can't match the Enforcer in terms of power and stability. Contrarily, the Enforcer doesn't come close to the playfulness of the QST.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid