• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2017 Rossi Experience 88

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
I had a chance to ski the Rossignol 2017 Experience 88 at Mt. Rose. Conditions were spring slush, to chalky wind-blown snow in the steeps. 5 runs on it. I was on the 178cm.

The ski is new for 2017, it employs a new cross-hatch carbon and fiberglass layup that, according to the rep, is taken from their race room skis. It enhances lateral stiffness at the tip and underfoot. The rest of the ski looks to be unchanged: it is the same traditional sidecut profile, early rise in the tip, camber underfoot, flat tail.

1st run: soft to firmer groomers: the ski could have used a bit more stiffness and lateral bite. I would classify it mid-pack for a groomer ski. It didn't have a ton of energy, was a bit vague on turn initiation, but once on edge, held well, and had moderately good energy when loaded properly. Not a great groomer ski; at least for someone looking for a bit of zoom. Super nice cruiser.

2nd run: steeps in El Cap chute: The 88 had a very large sweet spot, not hooky feel whatsoever, and was quick in the steeps. Very confident; committing to the turn was easy, not scary, and I was able to get some flow down the fall line, nice energy redirection, with active feet. The ski had big forgiving tip and big sweet spot too. It is a perfect narrower all-mountain ski for a precise feel. Crappy Rossi demo bindings ejected me out of nowhere, which was a bit scary.

3rd run: trees on the frontside: wowza, the ski really came alive in those trees, with the little mini-moguls developing. I was ripping through there, almost ran over both Brad and Wade. The ski could do no wrong in that softish-spring off-piste snow. I had confidence on it.

4th and 5th runs: steeper bumps: again, as good as anything I skied here. I could make any turn radius, any style of turn. It reminded me of the old Head Rock n' Roll in bumps, or the Soul Rider. Not stiff nor aggressive, but quite precise at the tip, with excellent feedback.

Overall, this is a great ski. Not really as a groomer ski (unless you are a cruiser), but for a narrower off-piste tool, it is hard to beat.

It's natural competitors would be something like a Stormrider 88, Kastle FX85, Nordica nRGY90, Dynastar Powertrak 89, Fischer Motive 86, Blizzard Brahma.

Who is it for: those looking for a narrower, precise, forgiving yet dialed all-mountain tool.
Who should look elsewhere: those looking for a powerful groomer ride

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I have the Temptation 88 in my quiver. Love it where there is snow, trees etc, but NOT in the east unless we have a dump. Nice to see someone else that has the same impression.

jdubs

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
What was your impression compared to the 2016 E88s? I heard they made some major changes this year.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
2016 version - 16m radius, poplar and basalt
2017 version - 17m radius, carbon alloy and poplar

Everything else is the same, sidecut, weight, rocker, air tip and minicap construction.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
2016 version - 16m radius, poplar and basalt
2017 version - 17m radius, carbon alloy and poplar

Everything else is the same, sidecut, weight, rocker, air tip and minicap construction.
??? :huh:

jdubs

Skier
Thanks, I loved the 2016 E88s, and heard from a ski instructor at the Canyons who recently demoed the 2017 model that the carbon alloy made the ski much better on groomed runs compared to the 2016 model, was hoping to get more insight on his comments

TS
dawgcatching

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
Thanks, I loved the 2016 E88s, and heard from a ski instructor at the Canyons who recently demoed the 2017 model that the carbon alloy made the ski much better on groomed runs compared to the 2016 model, was hoping to get more insight on his comments

I didn't ski the 2016, so I can't comment. I didn't find the 88 to be particularly great on groomers however. I would say that it was probably at the bottom of the heap when it came to groomer performance, at least when skiing dynamically and fairly fast, against every other 85-90 ski I tried; there wasn't much energy or life there. Where it did excel was off-piste conditions; the flex was dialed for the transition between drifting, skivoting, scarving, brushing, and higher edge angles; I would buy it as an off-piste ski, or a road trip ski (as I ski off-piste on road trips, no need to travel to ski groomers!)

jdubs

Skier
Thanks dawgcatching, I'm in the same boat as you regarding traveling, so this helps a lot.