• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2017 Head Supershape Rally vs 2017 K2 Super Charger

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
And I guess that makes me one of the 24.:wave:

Your post got me curious, so I tried to see if I could find any sales data. I don't have access to the latest info. ('15-'16), but I did find total US retail ski sales for Aug '14- May '15, subdivided by ski width (source: SIA Research, 2015 Snowsports Market Overview). I combined the sales volumes for system and flat skis, and divided through by the total, to get the following percentages:

< 70 MM 14.1
70 - 79 MM 30.3
80 - 90 MM 30.0
91 - 100 MM 13.7
101 - 110 MM 7.2
> 110 MM 4.8

We can see that the number of <70 mm skis sold in the US in '14-'15 is a bit more than the number in the 91-100 mm category, and significantly more than all the >100 mm skis combined (note that these are retail sales, so these percentages haven't been artificially distorted by the large number of skis sold for rental fleets). So don't they deserve at least as much ink?;)

>70 mm skis.... Are rental fleets included in the sales figure? I have a hunch they are.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Locally, there are very few skis <70 sold. Some novice skis, and sure, race skis, but the number of race skis sold is nowhere near the number of rec skis between 85-100. Maybe location is everything. Dunno. Believe me, I get the whole race ski thing and am a big fan of the cheater GS skis out there. Non FIS SL, not so much... Go FIS or go home in the SL's... IMHO of course.

Honestly, I don't really get the point. Phil writes a limited review of two civilian friendly piste skis. Are they race skis? No. I don't think that's the point of the review. The larger subtext is comparing and established carving ski manufacturer with one that hasn't been known to shine in the category of late. If you'd like to review some <70 skis, I say go for it. I would myself, but I'm really pressed for time at the moment, otherwise I'd be very happy to do a Blizzard WRC, Rossi Hero Master, Head Rebels iSpeed comparison/ review. All of them are amazing, and personally, I prefer them to 'carvers'. That said, the defunct Nordica FA EDT was a machine, even at 84 which gets to Phil's point of numbers aren't always the whole picture. Anyhow...

Last edited:

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
Don't know, but I think I've already done my fair share of the research here ;). If you're curious, I'd recommend you do some investigation and let us know what you find! And while you're at it, before you recalculate the percentages, don't forget to remove the park skis (mostly 80 – 90 mm) as well :D.
Does that include kids skis? A lot of those seem to be on the narrow side. Also not too long ago when I was on beginner skis they were mid to low 70s waist width. No wonder that is such a large percentage of sales.

chemist

Falling off the lift.
Skier
Honestly, I don't really get the point.
Agreed. For instance, you write:
Are they race skis? No. I don't think that's the point of the review..
...while I never once mentioned race skis.

So I don't think you're disagreeing with me, I think you're not understanding what I wrote. My hunch is that, as with my post above, you just skimmed my other posts quickly, and consequently missed my meaning. I think if you take another, more careful look at my posts, you will better see my point.

Or I could just try again here (this is not directed at you, it's just an attempt to restate my views for the thread):

I know many folks on this forum, like Phil, are anti-logic, anti-number, and anti-math:
Not much spoils fun more than logic: logic is the antithesis of fun. Numbers are logic, numbers are not fun....“I want a ski that carves well and is good on ice” -- that is not a number.
But at the same time, there is an inescapable physics associated with waist width (yes, one of those pesky numbers) that makes holding an edge on hard snow progressively harder as it's increased, for reasons I explained above, and which I've consistently found in all my ski demoing. Thus, inherently, if you want a ski that is truly optimized for hard snow ski, you want something optimally narrow. I honestly can't understand it when folks insist there's not a significant difference in hard snow performance between a typical 60-something carver (I'm not talking about race skis here, I'm talking about what you'd sell to a recreational skier), like the Head iSupershape Speed (and others in that category) vs. a typical 70-something carver, like the Head Rally (and others in that category). I.e., I don't understand those that say, when it comes to hard-snow performance, the waist width isn't a key element.

[I wonder if there's a Western bias here, such that what folks mean by hard snow is not what I mean by hard snow -- I mean snow that, while not necessarily ice, is "bulletproof".]

Sure, you can do all sorts of fancy design to optimize edge hold in a mid-70's to mid-80's ski, but if you did that same optimization to a mid-60's ski, the edge hold would be that much better. Again, I don't think you can avoid the basic physics. Sure, you can ski a mid-70 to mid-80 reasonably well on hard snow; but I ski my 68's well in up to a foot of powder -- that doesn't mean I call them "powder skis"!

Suppose I were working in an east coast ski shop, and someone came in and said: "I used to ski a lot when I was a kid, and am just getting back into the sport. I'm lower advanced, and ski mostly at Hunter, where the snow is always rock hard, everyone is slipping and sliding, and it seems impossible to get an edge. So I need a hard snow ski. What would you recommend?" I certainly wouldn't sell him a FIS ski or Master's GS, and might not even sell him a recreational slalom, since that might be too reactive. So it comes down to a recreational carver. Personally, for the conditions he skis (hard snow), I think if I recommended a Rally I'd be committing retail malpractice, when there are true hard-snow carvers in the 60-range that would be more effective in helping him to handle those conditions. And it's those skis, and only those skis, that should thus be labeled as hard-snow skis, because those are the ones truly designed for those conditions. Doing otherwise obfuscates things.

And, after all, sending the message that there's really no significant difference in hard snow performance between 60-something recreational carvers and 70-something recreational carvers is equivalent to saying there's no point to buying the 60-somethings at all (after all, with the 70-something you would get pretty much all the hard snow performance, with the added versatility from extra width). But that message is a problem, not just because it's (in my view) wrong, but because people believe it, and they thus don't buy as many of the 60-something skis, and as result the availability and selection of 60-something recreational skis (a valuable category, IMO) is overly reduced.

Last edited:

chemist

Falling off the lift.
Skier
Does that include kids skis? A lot of those seem to be on the narrow side. Also not too long ago when I was on beginner skis they were mid to low 70s waist width. No wonder that is such a large percentage of sales.
Yes, the figures include both adult and junior skis. Probably many of the junior skis are under 70 mm, but I don't know what percent that would be.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, the figures include both adult and junior skis. Probably many of the junior skis are under 70 mm, but I don't know what percent that would be.
I would say 80% of all junior skis sold are under 70mm. Take the kids skis out and maybe race skis, we would have a typical bell curve with 80-90 and 90-100 being first, then 70-80 then 100-110 then 60-70 and 110+. 60-70 ahead of 110+ if dave skis are included and behind if not. What do all these numbers mean in this conversation? Not much in the comparison of these two skis.

And while you're at it, before you recalculate the percentages, don't forget to remove the park skis (mostly 80 – 90 mm) as well :D.

You are getting into the semantics as what a hard snow ski should be and that they need to be under 70mm underfoot. What are you defining as a park ski? Just center mount skis? Just symmetric sidecut skis? How many true park skis are skied as all-mountain skis and how many race skis are skied as every day skis?

chemist

Falling off the lift.
Skier
You are getting into the semantics as what a hard snow ski should be and that they need to be under 70mm underfoot.
Yes, you're right, I am getting into labeling but, as you yourself have acknowledged elsewhere, labels and categories are important — what we call things has meaning. For the reasons I gave above, I think we mislead skiers if we call a mid-70's to mid-80's ski a hard snow ski. Of course, that's my view, which you disagree with.

What are you defining as a park ski? Just center mount skis? Just symmetric sidecut skis? How many true park skis are skied as all-mountain skis and how many race skis are skied as every day skis?

The key point about the park skis is that the <70's category is not the only one that would be reduced if we were to remove non-relevant skis. Whether we have the data to know how many to remove is a separate issue.

The point raised by those who said we need to remove race skis and junior skis is to re-jigger the percentages to get a truer comparison of the relative number of skis sold purely for adult recreational alpine (downhill) use (skis bought by people who are the target audience for reviews like yours), in the <70 vs. other categories, to get a fairer assessment of their relative popularity among recreational alpine adult skiers. That's the whole point of removing skis not bought for this purpose. So just as folks have argued that, to get a fair assessment, you'd need to remove the race skis and junior skis (which would reduce the <70 category), you'd also need to remove the adult beginner skis (which might mostly bring down the 70-80 category?) and those bought for use as park skis (which would mostly bring down the 80-90 category?). To actually do this you'd need more sophisticated data than what I have available.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Suppose I were working in an east coast ski shop, and someone came in and said: "I used to ski a lot when I was a kid, and am just getting back into the sport. I'm lower advanced, and ski mostly at Hunter, where the snow is always rock hard, everyone is slipping and sliding, and it seems impossible to get an edge. So I need a hard snow ski. What would you recommend?" I certainly wouldn't sell him a FIS ski or Master's GS, and might not even sell him a recreational slalom, since that might be too reactive. So it comes down to a recreational carver. Personally, for the conditions he skis (hard snow), I think if I recommended a Rally I'd be committing retail malpractice, when there are true hard-snow carvers in the 60-range that would be more effective in helping him to handle those conditions. And it's those skis, and only those skis, that should thus be labeled as hard-snow skis, because those are the ones truly designed for those conditions. Doing otherwise obfuscates things.
In response to the bolded, can you provide some examples?

All other things being equal, you are right about differences in edge hold vs width. Its dependent on two things. One is just the leverage effect. But the other is torsional stiffness.

I think that @Philpug can be a little too dismissive of numbers (and you seem to agree). But he is undoubtedly right that there is much more to it than just numbers, and I think he is intentionally provocative in that regard, for good reason.

Do any of these 60-something recreational carvers have construction that could reasonably be expected to offer similar torsional stiffness? That is a genuine question, I don't know this segment very well.

My "hard snow" ski is 80mm wide. I've considered a cheater SL before, and it may be my next move in "quiver spread". Then again, I ski around Lake Tahoe. We do get hard snow at times, w/o doubt. And a WHOLE lot of other snow types too!

chemist

Falling off the lift.
Skier
In response to the bolded, can you provide some examples?

All other things being equal, you are right about differences in edge hold vs width. Its dependent on two things. One is just the leverage effect. But the other is torsional stiffness.

I think that @Philpug can be a little too dismissive of numbers (and you seem to agree). But he is undoubtedly right that there is much more to it than just numbers, and I think he is intentionally provocative in that regard, for good reason.

Do any of these 60-something recreational carvers have construction that could reasonably be expected to offer similar torsional stiffness? That is a genuine question, I don't know this segment very well.

My "hard snow" ski is 80mm wide. I've considered a cheater SL before, and it may be my next move in "quiver spread". Then again, I ski around Lake Tahoe. We do get hard snow at times, w/o doubt. And a WHOLE lot of other snow types too!

To avoid more thread drift, I'll just PM you.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think it was Mark Twain, a frequent Lake Tahoe skier who said "There are lies, damn lies and ski specifications". Double damn, that would have been great title for the "The Numbers Game" series. I don't dismiss the numbers but I don't put all of my faith into them either.:eek:gcool The numbers can be a starting point, not the deciding factor.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Holy thread drift- who's the winner?!

Amen.

LOOK, OVER HERE, THE ORIGINAL TOPIC OF RALLY vs. SUPERCHARGER:

Sorry for the internet "shouting".

In a surprise move, the Head Titan comes out of nowhere, and knocks them both off the top step of the podium!

I've skied none of the three, but I just bought a pair of Titans, so I'm pretty sure they are the best.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have a few thoughts.

One, I enjoy these Cage Match Comparisons. I like the format, enjoy the comments and analogies and I would think that they would be helpful for most of us. In this one, my takeaway is that K2 is building at least one good hard snow ski. I think that most of us would already consider Head to be, if not owning this category, one of the bigger factors. So yes, I think these reviews are both informative and fun.

Two, We're all different. We all take in information differently, and process it differently. Some of us prefer facts, data and logic to "prove" a point. Others of us relay on feel, experience, intuition, etc. "Soft data" for lack of a better term. If one has a strong preference, and in effect refuses to yield and just digs in their heels, it can get very tedious, I hope that we avoid it as much as possible on Pugski. In some situations there are no hard and fast facts and data. No tests, no research. In others we might be too quick to dismiss what exists. Maybe the data is of zero value to one of us, and seems incredibly important to others, I say, no right or wrong choice. This is skiing. It's about having fun. If it's about precision, there are a couple of other places for you to hang out. You know them!

Three, I have to jump in here on the point that @chemist is sticking to regarding hard snow skis, and the best being <70mm at the waist. Hard and fast. As a bit of background, I have skied in New England, 50-80 days a season {or more} for close to 60 years. I know a fair amount about big North facing N.E, mountains. My wife is also a life long skier, and like me she grew up as a competitive racer. Kids, now adults followed suit. I've had a toe in the water in the ski world in a lot of ways over the years. One development over the decades is the quality of the ski surface on any given day. It's lightyears better than it was even five seasons ago. Technology in the entire snowmaking and grooming infrastructure just makes for far less "bulletproof" conditions. At Sugarloaf, one of the coldest and firmest, almost the minute the lifts stop spinning, the army of groomers heads up to till and groom the huge majority of the hill. Like clockwork. It does get skied off in places later in the day. Until the sun is higher in the sky. Same happens at Stowe, Sugarbish, Sunday River, Stratton, Whiteface. You name it. The arms race in NE is about the qualaity of the surface, more and more.

So, in my experience, what one needs to ski the "firm" well is very different than it once was. Part is the snow surface. Another part is the new ski technology, IMO. Our daughter had access to some great skis through her college years, and my wife often skied a pair of year old 155cm or 157cm SL skis as her real hard snow ski. I had access to some exceptional race skis, but was also a very early adopter of the GS cheater, when Fischer introduced the first ones. All under 70mm wide.

Today, my wife's hard snow ski of choice is a Head Super Joy, which is 75mm wide. Thinks it's as good on ANYTHING hard, and a lot more versatile. She hasn't touched a SL ski, or her older Head SuperShapes since getting the SuperJoy,

I have a number of GS cheaters. The one that I have skied the most is a Head i.speed, which IS <70mm wide. I also have a pair of Dynastar Cheaters, which are the widest in that category, 74mm wide. Both are tremendous hard snow skis. I have a couple of pairs of SL skis that actually have pushed out of a WC start gate, and I have had no need or interest to ski them on hard snow. They get almost no use.

However, I have a pair of Head Titans, which are 80mm at the waist. I am skiing them a lot more, even on the firmest and coldest of days. They are an exceptional hard now ski, IMO, and they are a bit more versatile. I don't think that anybody would consider them not to be a good choice. @markojp mentioned the Nordica Firearrow 84 EDT, 84mm wide. We've had four pairs in my family. That is a serious hard snow ski. Sort of a one trick pony. Designed by the guy who designed all of the current generation Nordica and Blizz race skis. They are essentially a wide cheater GS, with an even beefier layup. Some skiers prefer a wider platform under their feet, and have no problem engaging and tipping the ski, and running on rails at a frightening speed on rock hard snow. The ski is no soft snow ski, no "all mountain" ski, no bump ski. It's damn close to a one trick pony. I know a lot of people who are exceptional skiers who ski it, and would not be suggesting that they need a narrower ski for the rare bulletproof proof stuff.

Both of our "kids" are in the West. Both work in the business, year round. Our son is on snow well over 250 days a year. There is obviously a difference between Western hard snow and that in New England. Elevation and humidity will do that. It's still hard. Both of them will occasionally ski on terrain that has been injected for racing. Doesn't get much harder than that. They are younger, and they are very, very skilled. They also tend to ski even that hard snow on skis that are 84mm wide, or wider. Son is on a 100mm wide ski almost every day. Is it "as good" as a <70mm ski, on rock hard? No. Is it just a ton better than what one could have imagined 5+ years ago, yes. Are they on SL skis every now and then? Yep. But nobody's going to suggest that he's on the wrong ski on any given day. Nor is he going to suggest that the mother of one of his athletes really needs a sub 70mm ski for the hard days.

No data. No scientific proof. There just seem to be a lot of skis to ski hard snow with, and the very concept of what hard snow is seems to be changing many, many days. IMO, it's not exclusive to <70mm skis. My brother is a former national team skier, who spends winters in CO. Skis 6 days a week. A year ago he told he that he skied 95% of his days on a 95mm wide Stockli. Where he is, there are plenty of cold firm days.

The reviews that Phil, Tricia, and others are putting together are really great. They are done by real skiers, spending a lot of time in varying conditions on these skis. The impressions that get relayed are valuable, and insightful. I'm very good with a statement like "the performance on steep, firm groomers really surprised me", if that's the case. That would make sense to me. I'd grasp that. Just as a comment like "The skis didn't have much edge hold on the firm, and in particular the tails washed out" would make sense. The last pair of skis that came my way through my son were based on his having skied them for a half day. His comment was that, "you'll really like these." All feel, all impression, etc. And I do like them. Bingo. He is VERY dialed into the ski world. His opinion is that even in the race world, people spend far to much time thinking about radius, and even length. Obviously width is not an issue there. A lot of factors go into designing a ski that works well for any one of us. And when it works, you'll feel it.

And there are so many good skis being made that we all have more choices than ever. In the GS cheater category, for example, pick any two, and see if you prefer one. Then buy it. They are ALL good. You can go insane trying to find the "perfect" ski in that category. If there was a "Cheater Spectator", like wine, they would all rate a 97 or better!

I'm not going to jump on anybody for how they choose to think this through, and what they feel they need for information. At the same time, I think as a community, we should realize that you can end up with skis that might do the job just as well, which are "different" in size, shape and layup, using a number of other screens. LIke a recommendation, and a demo.

The Firearrow 84 EDT is/was a perfect example. I don't know anybody who tried the ski, and said, "Nope, this can't be. It's too wide."
Nordica nailed it. They didn't market it, or price it so well. And maybe they should have offered it either flat or with a Piston Plate. Another story.

Feeling more like winter in New England. Fun on the way, for all of us.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Amen.

LOOK, OVER HERE, THE ORIGINAL TOPIC OF RALLY vs. SUPERCHARGER:

Sorry for the internet "shouting".

In a surprise move, the Head Titan comes out of nowhere, and knocks them both off the top step of the podium!

I've skied none of the three, but I just bought a pair of Titans, so I'm pretty sure they are the best.

I too have new Titans for this season.... but I think the Rally is a better ski.

chemist

Falling off the lift.
Skier
@Muleski , interesting to hear about improvements to grooming back east. So it sounds like the hardest snow these days may be at places like Mammoth, which have ungroomed slopes that melt during the day and freeze solid at night.

Your post focuses primarily on one half of the issue I raised with wider skis, which is the effect of the width upon the ski’s ability to hold an edge. The other half is its effect on the skier, when on hard snow. And if I’m skiing a lot of hard snow, my personal finding is that my knees and ankles feel like they want to be on the narrowest ski possible. Whether I can repeatedly tip a wide ski up on edge is different from whether I want to.

As you know, when you tip a wide ski up on edge on hard snow, you put more lateral stress on your knee (and ankle) than with a narrow ski, because the edge on which you are balancing is, with the wider ski, more offset from the ski's midline. This is not an issue in (sufficiently deep) powder, since there you're not balancing on the edge, you're balancing on the entire base. Studies of the effect, on skiers’ bodies, of skiing hard snow on wide skis are current preliminary (e.g., https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4541126/), but more of the them are slowly coming out, and the ones released thus far all point in the same direction: the wider the ski, the more stress you’re placing on your joints. Mostly the issue has been reported to evidence itself above 80 mm, but I suspect the actual effect is continuous with increasing width. Your son that skis the 100’s all day with no issues, including on hard snow, sounds young, athletic, and healthy, but he may feel differently when he hits 60. The sensitivity of course varies with age, injury history, fitness, body structure, and skiing style, but this is something everyone should be aware of, particularly as we get older. I’m 5’7”, 150#. A 75 mm ski could well feel to me like a 90 mm would to someone who’s 6’0”, 200 lbs.

Another factor for me is that I strive for efficiency in my skiing, and on hard snow I feel like I work the least when I’m on a narrow ski. I also believe that being able to balance equally well on all four edges is a key skill for high-level skiing on hard snow, and I find that becomes more challenging as the width increases (e.g., I can do this on a 68; I think it would be much harder [for me, at least] on a 84: https://player.vimeo.com/video/165380070?autoplay=1&loop=1). Anyway, that's what I find for my skiing. YMMV.

Last edited:

chemist

Falling off the lift.
Skier
Returning to the Cage Match, no one has followed up on my comment that there is a big difference in delta between the 0 mm of the K2 and the 4 mm of the Head. This difference is large enough to be an important part (not the most important part, but certainly an important part) of why these ski differently. I.e., when you compare these, you're not comparing just the skis, you're comparing the skis plus the diff. in delta. Given (correct me if I'm wrong) that they are both system skis and will thus typically not be sold flat, that difference is practical rather than potential. Of course, one could say such differences are routine, but I demoed a good sampling of skis from many manufacturers over the past few years, and found the deltas were all 2–4 mm, i.e., within a 2 mm range, so I'm wondering if this represents more of a difference than is typical. Would be interested to hear @bud heishman 's take on this.....

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid