• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2017 Head Monster 88 vs 2017 Stöckli Stormrider 88

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So in this Cage Match, we are matching the varsity quarterback against the prep-school crew captain. Yes, both, are athletic, smart, and segment leaders, but it’s how they approach and display their talents that separates them. Thank you @TimF for the suggestion.

Cage Match Monster 88 vs. SR88.png

Walk into the Wobbly Barn, Chamois, or Mangy Moose or any serious ski bar, say that you ski a Head Monster or Stöckli Stormrider, and you will get the nod of approval; no matter which generation or waist width, these skis have that level of credibility. Between these two 88s, it's not so much power vs precision or even strength vs finesse. The difference between these two is the on-snow feel. Head has made a solid, powerful tool with almost a race ski feel. The Monster 88 oozes seriousness, almost like a well-trained Doberman Pinscher: all business with little sense of humor. The Stormrider 88 used to be the Monster 88 in a previous life. Now it is relaxed and carefree, it is just loving life, happy to sit on the porch drinking a martini yet still has the skills at the flick of a switch.
  • Why choose the Head Monster 88? You want uncompromising performance with a firm-snow bias. The Monster 88 will reward a better skier with solid skills. While it might not have the versatility of the Stöckli, what it does is more focused and directed.
  • Why choose the Stöckli Stormrider 88? You want to chill and not think about what the ski is doing or what the snow is like. You can drive the SR88 or you can ride it, it will do whatever you want. The ski could very well be the best balanced in the class. But that versatility comes at a cost, and that cost is 30% higher than the mainstream. But as we have said before, quality comes at a price.
  • Other skis in the class: Kästle MX89, Rossignol Experience 88, Blizzard Brahma, Volkl Kendo.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
30%? MSRP, but with the discounts I see on Monster 88s it's more like 100% at street level

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
30%? MSRP, but with the discounts I see on Monster 88s it's more like 100% at street level
Going apples to apple 699 MAP verses 999 MAP. Sure skis can be found at a discount...;)

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Ummmm, discounts! :drool:

Calbearski

Booting up
Skier
Out of curiosity, where did you mount the Stormriders? I'm trying to figure out where I want to mount and what the mark represents. It doesn't align to the running surface or anything I am aware of. Any ideas? Thanks

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree with @Jed Peters, don't over think it. The mount point that Stockli uses works.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
The Stockli line on the 95 was great, but the 107 has three Stockli lines: Freeride/All-Mountain/Powder
I want to mount with Tyrolia AAAttack 13 demos, if possible.

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the review. Still a hard choice. I would love to demo these 2

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, the Monsters look WAY more badass!

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Stockli should've stuck with the basic 95 & 107 graphic, with maybe orange for the center of the III mark.
But yeah, the Monsters have a great look.

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
So happy that I will have credibility when I go into the Cham for a soda pop. :)
Wow, it's been so long that I missed the reference. I tuned skis at Squaw Vally Sport Shop in the late 80's. Great friends and memories of my "heydays". We had a back stairway that led up to the bar. Needless to say as a ski tech, we drank a lot of free beers because someone always needs work done on their skis. LOL

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Stockli should've stuck with the basic 95 & 107 graphic, with maybe orange for the center of the III mark.
But yeah, the Monsters have a great look.
I picked up a pair of Monster 88 this summer. Haven't skied them yet, but I find the graphic less impressive in person, FWIW :huh:

pdiddy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Just picked up a pair of Monster 88s, liked the description of them from everyone here. any thoughts on mount point?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Toe pieces ahead of heels...

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
2015 Rev 85s available here very cheap, or wait til I'm in US in March and look for a bargain on Monster 88s?
Thoughts anyone?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Gotcha! so, 88 or 83 to complement my SR107? What's your call, Pop?

Sponsor