• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

reid

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Tomorrow!

Great, thank you! I'm looking to get the new 84, so if you have any information on what has changed since the current model that would be great. I heard a rumor they may be going to a different, lighter wood but not losing any stiffness.

Thanks again!

Dana McMaster

Booting up
Skier
The 2016 AX is one of my favorite skis ever. It meets your perfect ski on a given day test for me more than anything else I've owned. Are they changing only the graphics? They should really be promoting this ski, particularly if the industry trend is towards versatile, fun frontsiders.

I was looking strongly at the 2016 AX 183 yesterday as my mid 70s groomer pick with its 17.5 radius. I see Stockli offers this ski in a flat and binding incorporated version. Does anyone have an opinion as to if there is a palpable difference in how the ski performs with the different binding setups? My plan was to get the flat version and have a Look 14 installed. My dealer was recommending the Knee binding strongly due to an achilles tear a few years ago and the fact I'm 62 yo. Opinions?

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was looking strongly at the 2016 AX 183 yesterday as my mid 70s groomer pick with its 17.5 radius. I see Stockli offers this ski in a flat and binding incorporated version. Does anyone have an opinion as to if there is a palpable difference in how the ski performs with the different binding setups? My plan was to get the flat version and have a Look 14 installed. My dealer was recommending the Knee binding strongly due to an achilles tear a few years ago and the fact I'm 62 yo. Opinions?
I didn't get the plate, I opted for the same setup I demoed which was a pair of Attacks.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Look Pivot is a great way to go. You could easily go with the 12 and not the 14, it is the same binding with just the difference being the spring. The Pivot with it's very short mount distance will allow the SX's smooth flex pattern to really shine.

Dana McMaster

Booting up
Skier
The Look Pivot is a great way to go. You could easily go with the 12 and not the 14, it is the same binding with just the difference being the spring. The Pivot with it's very short mount distance will allow the SX's smooth flex pattern to really shine.

I'm sure this has been discussed here before but what is the current feeling about the Knee binding? Local Stockil dealer feels the wider screw pattern of the Knee as well as the closer approx of the plate to the ski will give a better flex with the Stockil Laser AX. I'm not opposed to paying more for an american locally made product that may have other benefits as well.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm sure this has been discussed here before but what is the current feeling about the Knee binding? Local Stockil dealer feels the wider screw pattern of the Knee as well as the closer approx of the plate to the ski will give a better flex with the Stockil Laser AX. I'm not opposed to paying more for an american locally made product that may have other benefits as well.
[deep breath inhale] The Kneebinding is an interesting topic. The topic is very polarizing. There are followers and some that question if it actually functions as advertised. [/deep breath exhale] The Look actually has a lower stand height than the Kneeebinding and the mount distance of the Look is significantly shorter...here are the numbers:

Look:
Toe Height-16mm
Heel Height-18mm
Mount distance from farthest screws: *11"
Widest screw width: 33mm

KB:
Toe Height: 24mm
Heel Height: 31mm
Mount distance from farthest screws: *16 1/2" (13 1/2" considering that the rear screws are floating)
Widest screw width: 44mm
*Based upon a 295 BSL as a reference boot.

You well within your rights to pay more for an American locally made product that may have other benefits. Now. You mentioned that you have had an achilles injury. I am not a doctor but it seems to me that risk of re injuring that is more susceptible in a forward fall, stretching it. The Kneebinding's claims are to protect in a rearward twisting fall, which would but little or no stress on your achilles. So I am not sure it would be the binding of choice anyway.

Yes, I happened to have a Kneebinding and a Look Pivot handy to do the measuring.

Dana McMaster

Booting up
Skier
[deep breath inhale] The Kneebinding is an interesting topic. The topic is very polarizing. There are followers and some that question if it actually functions as advertised. [/deep breath exhale] The Look actually has a lower stand height than the Kneeebinding and the mount distance of the Look is significantly shorter...here are the numbers:

Look:
Toe Height-16mm
Heel Height-18mm

KB:
Mount distance from farthest screws: *16 1/2" (13 1/2" considering that the rear screws are floating)

You well within your rights to pay more for an American locally made product that may have other benefits. Now. You mentioned that you have had an achilles injury. I am not a doctor but it seems to me that risk of re injuring that is more susceptible in a forward fall, stretching it. The Kneebinding's claims are to protect in a rearward twisting fall, which would but little or no stress on your achilles. So I am not sure it would be the binding of choice anyway.

Yes, I happened to have a Kneebinding and a Look Pivot handy to do the measuring.

Look:
Toe Height-16mm
Heel Height-18mm

KB:

Thanx Phil for the great info.. the reason for the achilles tear concern is that all the months of PT and laying around causes the knee and the attaching muscles and ligaments to weaken as mentioned by my orthopedist. And unless you've got the supporting staff that Kobe Bryant or Wes Welker had when they tore their achilles it never strengthens to pre-accident levels. Hence the rationale for the knee protective concern.

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Got a text message to get to the local shop the other night. I have the dubious honour of having sample size feet. The Rossi rep was in town!

rossi ladies.jpg

Sorry that's the ladies line....plus the Sky. The Experience line looks good too.

Apollak19

Skier
This is awesome! Do you have any more pictures of the Tecnica Boot Line?

Apollak19

Skier
A couple of the things that stood out for me at the trade show:
  • Boots are getting a bit of a throwback look, while staying on the forefront of better fit and function. Colors of boots are insanely 70's (and 80's) Sexy! View attachment 2638
  • Love the flex of the new Samba (Still 98mm under foot but new construction), and its not orange this year. View attachment 2641
  • Head is killing it with the graphics of the women's line, which is unchanged otherwise, and taking some of the graphene technology to a lot more skis in their line up
  • Armada has something new coming for women. (have to leave a teaser here for now.)
  • More helmets have MIPS
  • Atomic is making things new for the women's front side flavor
  • Volkl is bringing the 90Eight to the women's side, which is awesome because the 100EightW was super fun, and changing binding system for women's front side skis
  • The Tecnica Cochise line is coming out with 4 buckles.(see photo above)
  • and here's something really interesting, a few boot manufacturers are bringing some new technology to the forefront in boots for the beginner/intermediate skier.
This is awesome! Do you have additional pictures of the Tecnica Boot Line?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
A man without a life. :)

ski-ra

Love them Steamboat trees!
Skier
What's expected for the Nordica NRGy skis in 2017 (if I end up liking the 100's as much as expected I may get the 90's to replace my Bushwackers)?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Rossignol should make a "Macho" ski with 2 sheets of metal in it to maybe get some respect. They get none even though the Soul 7 is a really good and fun ski (among others). They have sold a ton of Sin an Soul 7's though. They are everywhere so the "lack" of success seems to be among the more enthusiast / hard core crowd.

They did seem to modify (upgraded?) the new 2017 Soul 7 but maybe they should have just made an "HP" Model and left the current one alone?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What's expected for the Nordica NRGy skis in 2017 (if I end up liking the 100's as much as expected I may get the 90's to replace my Bushwackers)?

OMG, the 2017 NRGy100's are sooooo much better than the 2016's..I pity anyone who bought a 2016 ;):duck:Actually just NGT, smae great ski. As far as replacing the BW with the NRGy90...no, get the NRGy85 :thumb:;).

ski-ra

Love them Steamboat trees!
Skier
OMG, the 2017 NRGy100's are sooooo much better than the 2016's..I pity anyone who bought a 2016 ;):duck:Actually just NGT, smae great ski. As far as replacing the BW with the NRGy90...no, get the NRGy85 :thumb:;).
Yeah - I came across a web pic of the 2017 NRGy's new graphics after I posted this. However, I still think I'd prefer the 90 vs. the 85 only because I rarely ski hardpack conditions ("why bother?" is my belief and if I do need to on a rare occasion I just deal with it). I prefer buy "frontside" ski to have better pow/crud-ability vs. ultimate edge grip...and the Bushwacker is plenty grippy and fast edge-to-edge but not quite "surfy" enough for me in fresh snow. The 90 seemed to fit that bill when I demo'd it, but who knows:huh: