• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I did get to play with the new Elan Ripstick. Looks good.

IMG_0440.JPG

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That the ski line that whether you like it or not has made modern Kastle's brand. It may be changing with the FX95HP seemingly sweeping everything in its path though. I am really curious what they did to the MX88 and MX98, because those were skis that can work for a quiver anchor models. MX88 still remains one of the most impressive skis I have ever skied, if not the most impressive.

Was this past year's MX88 (15/16) significantly softer flexing than previous years' versions?
The FX95HP was indeed impressive, great ski.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Was this past year's MX88 (15/16) significantly softer flexing than previous years' versions?

All I need to hear is FX95HP and I start drooling. :drool:

Must resist till deals can be had

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

No. It's the same.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
A couple of the things that stood out for me at the trade show:
  • Boots are getting a bit of a throwback look, while staying on the forefront of better fit and function. Colors of boots are insanely 70's (and 80's) Sexy! View attachment 2638
  • Love the flex of the new Samba (Still 98mm under foot but new construction), and its not orange this year. View attachment 2641
  • Head is killing it with the graphics of the women's line, which is unchanged otherwise, and taking some of the graphene technology to a lot more skis in their line up
  • Armada has something new coming for women. (have to leave a teaser here for now.)
  • More helmets have MIPS
  • Atomic is making things new for the women's front side flavor
  • Volkl is bringing the 90Eight to the women's side, which is awesome because the 100EightW was super fun, and changing binding system for women's front side skis
  • The Tecnica Cochise line is coming out with 4 buckles.(see photo above)
  • and here's something really interesting, a few boot manufacturers are bringing some new technology to the forefront in boots for the beginner/intermediate skier.
I have seen a picture of a 130 0G touring boot, 4 buckle, whose shape and yellow colour resembles the one in your picture, but I think those are different boots...So, is Tecnica replacing the Cochise pro light dyn models with these new 0Gs?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Is there anything new from anyone other than Rossi, Fischer and Voile in the >90mm waxless ski segment?

I so wish more people would make waxless skis. G3 is coming out with a fairly narrow 78 underfoot waxless ski. I would love to see a ski that is 110mm underfoot like a charger with softer more finesse flex for eastern woods skiing.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will try to look at the G3 line if we can get over there, schedule is pretty booked. @sigiski ... maybe you can answer the question?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Is there anything new from anyone other than Rossi, Fischer and Voile in the >90mm waxless ski segment?

Waxless skis? I thought this was just an XC thing?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Waxless skis? I thought this was just an XC thing?

The new term is 'scaled alpine'.

Rossi BC 125

Fischer S-Bound 125:

Voile Vector BC

Voile Charger BC

Now, notice that Madshus who own the old ex-Trak Canadian Karhu brand moulds (as opposed to Finnish shoe and ski Karhu, completely different) do not have anything more than a 78mm waisted ski in this segment. Observe that Atomic, who have had fattish skis in this segment (@SlideWright might still have his Chugaches) have - nothing. Neither do Elan, who might be expected to given both their experimentation in the past and their strong presence in XC. Nor do Alpina, who have (in partnership with Sporten?) come up with oddball specialty gear almost in this segment, specifically the Cross-Terrain which is like a slalom ski from ~2002 with fishscales. As to @Josh Matta's comment, well, if you've ever held a Cross-Terrain in one hand and a G3 in the other you'd know why that's good news - Alpina's heart was in the right place but they made a ski that's both heavy and stiff for anything other than serious hardpack. And where exactly are Salomon, who might well be expected to be a giant in the field?

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Ripstick 106 or One-Oh Something
So, not the racing Ripstick. Interesting on Elan's naming. :)

I skied the Amphibio's 88 yesterday for a bit and thinking it might be my next ski purchase. Good ski for Midwest and the few times I go out West.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I will try to look at the G3 line if we can get over there, schedule is pretty booked. @sigiski ... maybe you can answer the question?

A bit of levity: is this "sigiski" the same Sigi, the girl of Ott's Stories of old? ;-)

I have seen a picture of a 130 0G touring boot, 4 buckle, whose shape and yellow colour resembles the one in your picture, but I think those are different boots...So, is Tecnica replacing the Cochise pro light dyn models with these new 0Gs?
Now, I've got to quote myself, nosing around the internet I came to the understanding that my question answer is "yes", no more light pro dyn models, the 0G line will replace those.
Which leads to another question that is mulling around in my head since a while (since I read the ROM of the Freedom SL and RS, which SCARPA site gives as 27 deg, a boot, btw that my S.O. has tried in the "W" version and liked a lot, so much that she'd like to get it and use as her do-it-all boot, while I'd like her to test/try some more product before "pulling the trigger") I've been able to find referencies to the new Cochise cuff ROM, which appears to be 42 deg. I can only assume that the 0G cuff ROM is something more than that, or at least equal to that. But haven't ben able to find out, yet. Anyone here found about it?
Looks like that the cuff ROM for the AT botts is becoming the "new reference number" or at least predominatly so, compared to the stiffness "value" (95, 100, 110, 130 and so on, which, given that it is a relative number or almost so, assigned by each manufacturer, is not standardized. I would like to see it standardized, à la din value for bindings...)

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, not the racing Ripstick. Interesting on Elan's naming. :)

I skied the Amphibio's 88 yesterday for a bit and thinking it might be my next ski purchase. Good ski for Midwest and the few times I go out West.

They will be coming out with a Special Edition for next season...Pretty damn good looking ski.

reid

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Any pictures of the new Experience line from Rossi?