• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2017 Dynastar PowerTrack 84 vs 2017 Rossignol Experience 84 HD

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We had some requests for Cage Matches for intermediate skis, so here are two intermediate to advanced skis designed to help skiers progress.

Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 5.28.36 AM.png

What I like about them is that they are offered two ways, with and without system bindings. Usually skis in this segment are offered only with a binding, for one of two reasons: first (aka the reason they tell you), the manufacturer feels this skier doesn’t need to worry about a binding selection, so designers just mate the best option for the ski. Second (aka the real reason), they make more money by selling you a package that includes their own binding. Rossignol and Dynastar actually let you decide whether to buy their skis flat (without a binding) or as a system, using their all-new Look systems called Konect on the Rossignol and Fluid on the Dynastar; these are both versions of Look's SPX 12 Dual binding.

We will start with the Dynastar PowerTrack 84. Of the two cousins, this is the relaxed one. Whatever you ask it to do, it will do with little or no resistance. The light weight and balanced flex allows the nice, gradual early rise to come in and out of mush and crud with ease.

The Rossi Experience 84 HD has a little more Type A in its DNA -- maybe Type A- or B+ but definitely on the more focused end of the spectrum. The E84HD isn’t as demanding as its big brothers the 88 and 100 because of a slightly softer flex and a bit more rise out of its very flared tail. Rossi’s shape is like no other ski in this class, and that's what separates it from the masses: it is the ski that has the most upside potential for improving technique.
  • Why choose the PowerTrack 84? You would like to get better but you are comfortable where your skiing is now; progression will come naturally.
  • Why choose the Experience 84 HD? You want to get better, now. The Experience 84 HD is that CrossFit instructor that demands the most out of you. Will you leave broken or better? No one can make that decision but you.
  • Other skis in class: Atomic Vantage X 83 CTi, Blizzard Quattro 8.4 Ti, K2 iKonic 85Ti, Head Strong Instinct Ti.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Great, Phil, as usual. How about Powertrack 84 vs 89? For the 2017, the 84 is labeled as intermediate-advanced and the 89 as advanced-expert on EVO. Cheers!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great, Phil, as usual. How about Powertrack 84 vs 89? For the 2017, the 84 is labeled as intermediate-advanced and the 89 as advanced-expert on EVO. Cheers!
Good question. These two skis are the same, other than width, so what makes one a higher level ski? Marketing. Really, they should be the same price and just marketed to the same skiers just with different needs. One for lighter, smaller skiers or a skier who wants a narrow quicker ski and one for a skier how wants a wider ski.

Snowcat

Booting up
Skier
Nice write up! I'm looking for new skis and am curious whether you think the PT84 or PT89 is more appropriate for a 130-140lb, 5''10" advancing intermediate. Looking for all mountain for use in west and northeast. Not for powder. Will the PT89 be too much ski with the layers of metal or will it be a better all around ski? Could going shorter on the PT89 address that? I'm thinking PT84 @169 or 176 or PT89 @172. Thanks!!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nice write up! I'm looking for new skis and am curious whether you think the PT84 or PT89 is more appropriate for a 130-140lb, 5''10" advancing intermediate. Looking for all mountain for use in west and northeast. Not for powder. Will the PT89 be too much ski with the layers of metal or will it be a better all around ski? Could going shorter on the PT89 address that? I'm thinking PT84 @169 or 176 or PT89 @172. Thanks!!
5'10" 130-140lb? First thing I will recommend is to eat a sandwich..some carbs or something. I wouldn't go shorter on these skis, they ski short as it is. The PT 84 in the 176 would be my suggestion of what you listed. It will be a great foundation ski for the Northeast and western trips.

Snowcat

Booting up
Skier
I wish it were that easy - it's been a life long challenge! Thank you very much for the recommendation. A few follow ups if I may:

Would the PT89 ultimately have more upside as I improve or is it a no go for smaller skiers period?

Back to the cage match, would you say that the E84 still has the better upside potential vs PT84? Would that apply to the carbon version as well or only HD?

I've skied the E84 carbon as a rental in 162 and liked it overall but not so much in crud and steeper icier terrain. Maybe it was too short given the amount of rocker to that ski?

Anyways thanks for taking the time to help!

Sponsor

Staff online