• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2017 Cochise line

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Do you feel like you have a taller standheight in the new boot? I haven't had a chance to ask either friend, but looking at the pictures, I curious about the standheight. Also wonder about whether there might BD some lift to the heel? I have just hear that they ski incredibly well....no mention of a taller cuff.

How big a difference is there on the back of your calf in terms of the top of each boot? Guess you could measure with a tape measure, too. Just curious,

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Didn't have my Mach 1 with me to compare at the shop but the 130 Cochise seems really light for a high performance boot.
The liner, CAS, looks the same or very similar between the two

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Do you feel like you have a taller standheight in the new boot? I haven't had a chance to ask either friend, but looking at the pictures, I curious about the standheight. Also wonder about whether there might BD some lift to the heel? I have just hear that they ski incredibly well....no mention of a taller cuff.

How big a difference is there on the back of your calf in terms of the top of each boot? Guess you could measure with a tape measure, too. Just curious,

Not really lifted to any appreciable degree. Way taller including the liners.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
Snow ready:
IMG_0843.JPG

•shorter buckles
•stiffer power strap
•leather race liner (just for starters as the new toe box / liner feels so different, I wanted to start off in more familiar fit for comparison sake)

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
I sliped some of these on my hooves on a whim yesterday actually.....Me likey. The flex was real round. And the fit was exceptional.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
I sliped some of these on my hooves on a whim yesterday actually.....Me likey. The flex was real round. And the fit was exceptional.
Agreed, did you notice the flex (flexion-ish :) )grooves on the lower shell?

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
With the 120/105w available in a 22.5, was hoping these might be the ticket in my quest for light, tech compatible, downhill capable boot... unfortunately it's not a true 22.5 shell, not even close :nono:. Quest continues.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
IMG_0889.JPG

Fantastic & surprising first impressions this weekend. :)

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
With the 120/105w available in a 22.5, was hoping these might be the ticket in my quest for light, tech compatible, downhill capable boot... unfortunately it's not a true 22.5 shell, not even close :nono:. Quest continues.

What did you not like? It's a completely new direction in last. I'd liken it to the trend in 'Natural Running' shoes with rather wide toe boxes. I suspect that ppl will end up in the incorrect size as they will think they are too long, when in reality it's the cavernous toe box & wide forefoot that done feel traditional.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
IMG_0896.JPG
First take: I'm likely never going back to a traditional boot. As noted already the toe box is huge & allows that feet to really splay out. It's unnerving at first- I was a bit concerned. I had them set up with an Intuition liner as temperatures this weekend were in the teens on the hill with that damp New England moisture. I was able to ski them on untracked side country of ~8 inches of fluff on a base & the trail that Killington injected for the World Cup race. Ski of choice 177cm Head Titan.

They ski very "free rider" biased in that they did best with medium to straight line turns. This is particularly due to the way the boot steers like a rear wheel drive muscle car biased beast. The combo of the wide toes & dampening of the boot flat out begged to go faster- like loco fast. More to come.

Last edited:

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
What did you not like? It's a completely new direction in last. I'd liken it to the trend in 'Natural Running' shoes with rather wide toe boxes. I suspect that ppl will end up in the incorrect size as they will think they are too long, when in reality it's the cavernous toe box & wide forefoot that done feel traditional.
Im guessing you didn't read the part about not being an actual 22.5 shell. Cochise smallest bsl is 280 (I'm a 265).. if you're not familiar with the woes of small feet... their 22/22.5 is actually a 23/23.5 shell with either toe bars or a thick liner to make it "smaller"... regardless, the end result is they're too big for my short feet.

Last edited:
TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
Im guessing you didn't read the part about not being an actual 22.5 shell. Cochise smallest bsl is 280 (I'm a 265).. if you're not familiar with the woes of small feet... their 22/22.5 is actually a 23/23.5 shell with either toe bars or a thick liner to make it "smaller"... regardless, the end result is they're too big for my short feet.

Ahhh..... did not realize you were that small BSL; if you find a boot LMK- my wife is in same boat!

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier
I have a pair of Cochise 120s that I have worn about 8 times now, both for light touring and resort skiing. While comfortable, I have found that my feet get very cold in them. I have never had problems with cold feet before, so am not sure what is going on. Temperatures in Idaho have been colder than normal, probably between 0 and 10 while out skiing, but I have skied other boots in similar temperatures before without a problem. I have custom footbeds but am using the stock liner. The fit is really good (they are perhaps the most comfortable boot I have ever skied), and I don't think my circulation is being cut off with them. Has any one else gotten cold feet in these? Any suggestions on what to do? I am considering getting an Intuition liner but am hoping for a cheaper fix.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
I have a pair of Cochise 120s that I have worn about 8 times now, both for light touring and resort skiing. While comfortable, I have found that my feet get very cold in them. I have never had problems with cold feet before, so am not sure what is going on. Temperatures in Idaho have been colder than normal, probably between 0 and 10 while out skiing, but I have skied other boots in similar temperatures before without a problem. I have custom footbeds but am using the stock liner. The fit is really good (they are perhaps the most comfortable boot I have ever skied), and I don't think my circulation is being cut off with them. Has any one else gotten cold feet in these? Any suggestions on what to do? I am considering getting an Intuition liner but am hoping for a cheaper fix.

I've not skied em in the stock liner, just intuitions & Dobermann Leather/Corks. The intuitions are very warm, yet the power wrap considerable stiffens the flex. I'd suggest an intuition model w a traditional tongue- perhaps a Dream or Lux model.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
@MAB I skied mine today with the stock liner & was standing a lot with my little one's race team. They were not warm..... it was 13 degrees & damp & these were cooler. The tongue on the liner is sweet, but if they continue to be problematic, look at Intuition.

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier
@MAB I skied mine today with the stock liner & was standing a lot with my little one's race team. They were not warm..... it was 13 degrees & damp & these were cooler. The tongue on the liner is sweet, but if they continue to be problematic, look at Intuition.

Thanks. I had them on today in weather that was about 20 degrees. They were better but still cold. I was starting to think the problem might be the liner getting wet while skiing, but today was a powder today and when I pulled the liner out it wasn't wet. I really like the way they fit, so I am now debating between Intuition liners and hotronics. My bootfitter is recommending the hotronics because he thinks the intuitions won't fully fix the problem and doesn't want to mess with an otherwise good fit.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
Thanks. I had them on today in weather that was about 20 degrees. They were better but still cold. I was starting to think the problem might be the liner getting wet while skiing, but today was a powder today and when I pulled the liner out it wasn't wet. I really like the way they fit, so I am now debating between Intuition liners and hotronics. My bootfitter is recommending the hotronics because he thinks the intuitions won't fully fix the problem and doesn't want to mess with an otherwise good fit.

Must respect the fitter, but I baked an older intuition (at home) & the fit is really good & they are an inferno; I'd do a new Intuition on cold days & stock in the spring. Can you beg/borrow one to try?

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
Finally got around to cooking the stock liner:
IMG_1247.JPG

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
IMG_1259.JPG

Pic of the reliefs for cutting a strap guide inside the boots & around the liner.

Sponsor

Staff online