• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2017 Cochise line

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
IMG_0502.JPG

Was fully not thinking this boot, as I thought 130 would be was stiff. It's not!!! Has an absurd amount of graded flex & comfort. I get to test a lot of gear & was shocked by how anatomical this boot is.

Factory video is worth a watch:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I know two former very high level (USST abd darn close) racers who are now in that boot and have ZERO plans to go back into their Dobermann's unless on race skis, on race surfaces. Hear great things.

Look forward to the full impressions.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have been in AT boots full time since Scarpa came out with the alpine sole. They are now trashed, but I hate the thought of new boots. That looks like one I need to try

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
I know two former very high level (USST abd darn close) racers who are now in that boot and have ZERO plans to go back into their Dobermann's unless on race skis, on race surfaces. Hear great things.

Look forward to the full impressions.

My motivations in a new boot were similar in that I'm skiing more varied surfaces & longer on the hill (again) as our kids are now starting ski programs this season. I wanted to make the jump to a Grip Walk / WTR boot that lets me scramble AT / Side Country / Bar.... & the @Philpug putting out there that for $25 I can convert my pivots.... well my plans needs to be accelerated.

Oddly- the Cochise line offers the progression spring better than I've been dialing in my Non Race Dobermann's.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
My pair arrived yesterday; they are sick. I'm pretty spoiled w boots & boot work- yet amazed at how dialed in these are out of the box.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
IMG_0795.JPG
Anyone else notice this? Both boots are 295mm shells & I went from a 287mm shell because I wanted a taller cuff- I felt like I was tipping over the boot. These are over an inch higher :)

Thoughts @Philpug @Muleski

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have an older Cochise Pro 130 boot (2013?) with the power strap incorporated into the top buckle but I notice that the power strap on the new boot is now above the top buckle. This might mean that the new boot is taller than the old Cochise Pro 130.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
I have an older Cochise Pro 130 boot (2013?) with the power strap incorporated into the top buckle but I notice that the power strap on the new boot is now above the top buckle. This might mean that the new boot is taller than the old Cochise Pro 130.
I'll have to post a comparison next to my OG Cochise Lite Pro, but you are very much correct.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The new Cochise line is definitely a better version. I really like the new shape and last.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
How does it compare to the Mach 1's last?

I was thinking of the Mach 1, yet the last on '17 Cochise felt so much more 'anatomical' or refined. The Mach 1 was more spacious & had lesser closure / grasp around the instep to forefoot. I thought they both looked similar, yet a mm is a mile in a ski boot.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was thinking of the Mach 1, yet the last on '17 Cochise felt so much more 'anatomical' or refined. The Mach 1 was more spacious & had lesser closure / grasp around the instep to forefoot. I thought they both looked similar, yet a mm is a mile in a ski boot.

Clarification: My Mach 1 is the 98 mm narrow last version (women's) with a Boot Doc custom liner. It always seemed to me that AT boots are wider than traditional boots, which is the main reason I never tried them. I'm wondering if at some point if I choose to go the AT boot route, if the Cochise would work for my narrow foot.

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
What's the difference between these and the ZeroG?

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
What's the difference between these and the ZeroG?
Clarification: My Mach 1 is the 98 mm narrow last version (women's) with a Boot Doc custom liner. It always seemed to me that AT boots are wider than traditional boots, which is the main reason I never tried them. I'm wondering if at some point if I choose to go the AT boot route, if the Cochise would work for my narrow foot.

The ZeroG is made of Triax (lighter) & Cochise is PE (Alpine Plug material).

I would not consider the Cochise an AT boot, yet a 'crossover' beast. Same mold for each. Watch the factory video - the thought was to have the stiffness / snugness of a WC boot with a hike/skin option. Supposedly the latch mechanism has the rigidity near that of 2 rivets.

Last edited:
TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider

IMG_0800.JPG

Here's a Pro Lite & '17 Cochise 130