• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2017 Atomic Vantage X 83 CTi vs 2017 Vòlkl RTM 84 UVO

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Comparing two of the better skis in the highly competitive "all-mountain hard snow" class.
CMC RTM vs Vantage X.png
Let's start with what these two skis are not. Starting alphabetically, the new Atomic Vantage X 83 CTi is not a Nomad. It's not a Crimson, or even a Blackeye. These are names that Atomic has put to rest; they ran their course and while we might see them in the future, this is a new day for Atomic's hard-snow-biased all-mountain skis. The RTM 84? It is no secret that I wasn't a fan of the first-generation RTM, because I just believe a ski in this range should have camber. Nor was I a fan of its predecessor, the AC50. The new RTM 84 UVO, however, is neither of those skis.

So, what are these skis? Well, the Atomic is the best value in the class as awarded in our Steals & Deals. The Vantage X 83 CTi arrived on the heels of the off-piste Vantage collection but with one of the best integrated bindings in the segment. Although the narrower 83 CTi shares some construction with the wider Vantages, its shape is much more pronounced, especially at the extremities, biasing it toward hard snow. Atomic offers one of the beefiest, most progressive binding setups in this class; it is basically a demo version of the Warden and the only system that will accept all sole norms, DIN, WTR and AT.

The Völkl RTM 84 UVO is just as good in its own right. Its ultramodern 3D.Ridge makes it one of the lightest, snappiest skis in the segment, and the UVO removes any of the nervousness that "light and snappy" can exhibit. I mentioned earlier what I didn’t like about these skis' predecessors, but let's talk about their best characteristics: the power of the AC50 and the ease of the RTM 84. They are combined in the RTM 84 UVO, giving you the rare and successful balance of power and finesse.
  • Why choose the Atomic Vantage X 83 CTI? For the financially conscious, the Vantage X 83 CTi is the best value in the class: the price is low, and the performance is high.
  • Why choose the Völkl RTM 84 UVO? There is no shame in being a Völkl fanboy with the new RTM 84 UVO; it truly offers a best-in-class balance of performance and versatility. The RTM rewards technical proficiency but does not demand it.
  • Other skis in the class: Blizzard Quattro RX, Nordica GT 84 TI EVO, K2 iKonic 85Ti, Rossignol Experience 84 HD.

Africa

Booting up
Skier
Great review! I have been looking at both of these, as well as the RTM 81 and 80CTi. My preferred length in this category is 177-178, which leans me toward the RTM's. Being as close as they seem, would that be a valid argument? How significant is the difference between the narrower versions (RTM 81 and 80 Cti) @Philpug ?
Thanks again!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great review! I have been looking at both of these, as well as the RTM 81 and 80CTi. My preferred length in this category is 177-178, which leans me toward the RTM's. Being as close as they seem, would that be a valid argument? How significant is the difference between the narrower versions (RTM 81 and 80 Cti) @Philpug ?
Thanks again!
3mm. Yes, you loose the UVO on the RTM but the same comparision applies.

Sponsor