• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hopefully, colder weather is on the way. This storm looks to be petering out before it got started.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Getting reeeal thin, in need of snow badly , 45° in town , 35° at summit, 42° at the base.......3:30 am .
Back to mammoth next week I guess. Let's go MT, grab the uncle.......

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Have faith in Ullr, he just got up late. We will get at least a dusting tonight and some 24/7
snowmaking from this system. Big birthday bash @Bear Mt. tomorrow... 75th anniversary party with DJ Snoopadelic!

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Faith you say........

I'm leaving at noon, hopefully a weather change behind me....

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Have faith in Ullr, he just got up late. We will get at least a dusting tonight and some 24/7
snowmaking from this system. Big birthday bash @Bear Mt. tomorrow... 75th anniversary party with DJ Snoopadelic!
Too bad I have to attend a wedding tomorrow. I hate to miss Snoopadelic!

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Skied Sat. The snow consistency was all over the place, despite the morning flurries.

I don't know if this came from the hidden rocks, or the snowboarder who hit me, but either way, looks like a tune up is in order:
upload_2018-1-21_18-14-51.png

Last edited:
TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Sat. The snow consistency was all over the place, despite the morning flurries.

I don't know if this came from the hidden rocks, or the snowboarder who hit me, but either way, looks like a tune up is in order:
View attachment 37805

That is why we need a "do not" like button. :doh:

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Big Bear last weekend was interesting. Excellent manmade snow groomed to perfection. Crowded but tolerable. Enjoyable.

It's been a couple years since I've been there. Way fewer runs were covered this year. The snowmaking guns are still there but the runs were bare dirt. They didn't even try for Geronimo and there was only one way down most of the others. It has been cold this winter - but dry and the lake is low. Still, fine snowmaking weather. So why so little manmade snow?

I'm worried about the direction Bear is headed. Especially if it doesn't snow much more this winter.

Eric

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We were there all weekend, too bad we missed you @Eleeski The lack of consistent snowmaking is a head-scratcher for sure:huh:

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
inversion layers have been limiting snowmaking , upper 40's on top while 30's at base

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@socalgal Sorry to miss you as well. We were getting styled at one of the slopeside houses. That makes Big Bear really fun. I did take off my ski boots before hopping in the tub - barely.

@MountainMonster The runs had quite a bit of snow (no rocks and appeared to be way above the dirt on the sides). So sometime during the season it was good for snowmaking. My host was one of the previous shareholders before Mammoth and was not sure why so little snow had been made. It used to be covered with manmade snow more. A little worrysome. And he's not as happy as when he was involved...

But the open runs were excellent and fun!

Eric

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, the inversion is a regular problem at BBMR and environs. However, I do have some concerns that the management isn't even attempting to blow open the bowls at Snow Summit. Normally, they aim for that in order to claim "terrain for all ability levels." Yes, yes ... I know those are blues at most mountains. The lack of attempt is worrying me. Perhaps, the focus is to keep open what little they have managed to blow open so far. It's been too darn warm all around.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Just remember here, we have had five inches of natural snow this season, five. How many other resorts would even be open with that little precip? It is more about preservation now than opening more trails, only a genuine storm will do that.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All of California is having a disastrous snow year. Big Bear and Snow Summit have the snowmaking capability to be the one California resort fully open. Huge marketing opportunity. Yet the runs are more restricted than during the horrible drought years.

Snowmaking is expensive. The lake is very low. The crowds aren't responsive to snowmaking. Where does Big Bear fit within Alterra's plans? Lots of variables. There was enough snow for a good skiing experience. But it's been better with equally bad weather. I'm complaining but not upset.

Eric

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Not all of California, mammoth is below average snowfall, but the skiing right now is above average IMHO...

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
All of California is having a disastrous snow year. Big Bear and Snow Summit have the snowmaking capability to be the one California resort fully open. Huge marketing opportunity. Yet the runs are more restricted than during the horrible drought years.

Snowmaking is expensive. The lake is very low. The crowds aren't responsive to snowmaking. Where does Big Bear fit within Alterra's plans? Lots of variables. There was enough snow for a good skiing experience. But it's been better with equally bad weather. I'm complaining but not upset.

Eric
For some reason, the water authority is continuing to drain the lake. We can't seem to find out why or what is going on. Last year, there was enough precipitation to have brought the lake back to normal levels, but they continued draining. It is still draining! Perhaps BBMR is suffering greater water restrictions than in previous years. They are only allowed a certain amount/month.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
It's all about ROI, there's about 2 months left in the local season, less if we don't get some stormage. I think they put their money and efforts into keeping the main runs open as long as possible with this grim weather forecast. Conditions have gone to Spring this week, evening groom, crusty corduroy at the bell, and sweet all day. Jerry of the Day came flying over this roller and lost his edge (snowboard), slid 30 feet into the brush, tumbled all the way down and hit the base of this lift tower, right as our group passed above. He was alright, the tower had a pad on it, but his shoulder is going to be messed up for a while. IMG_20180201_132639.jpg IMG_20180201_092534.jpg

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We were planning to skip the is weekend of yet more spring skiing, but DS and his GF want to go to Big Bear this weekend and we want to see THEM. So we will lap the groomers once again - hopefully at high speed! This poor girl ... she probably thinks everybody skis full out!

Sponsor

Staff online