• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Potential for a strong storm this week?

MIDSNOW0109.jpg

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Spent the weekend at Boyne and Highlands. Nice hills. Great snow, a tad cold. First trip to Michigan to ski and it was very enjoyable. Will definitely do it again.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Kids enjoyed BoHo with the new snow last weekend and Porkies.

To bad Door county doesn't have a hill 24" yesterday. Local hill got 6", will help for sure.

I can dream,

5-10SNOW0116.jpg

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be at Indianhead/Blackjack Jan 27-28th. If you are there ping me.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Enjoyed 3+ inches of snow at Blackjack yesterday. Sure did help, considering the 40s on Friday that made all the snow feel like it rained on Friday.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Day 23 for me

Real Iowa skiing below: Nobody out during the week -- shoulder to shoulder people on the weekend.
IMG_1547.JPG

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Anyone ski granite peak yet this year? Have some acquaintances that will be heading up there in a few weeks, just curious to give them a heads up.

I'm curious about Granite Peak as well. It's about 3 hours from me. Prices look a little steep, wondering if it's worth it

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
If you can find a season pass holder, they can bring a friend for $20 on Sundays. I sure wouldn't pay $70+ for day there. Some people really like, others don't.

Wish we had some people with good knowledge of it here, but I haven't successfully gotten anyone.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
If you can find a season pass holder, they can bring a friend for $20 on Sundays. I sure wouldn't pay $70+ for day there. Some people really like, others don't.

Wish we had some people with good knowledge of it here, but I haven't successfully gotten anyone.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Monday is discounted to $64 but only from 10-4pm. If I'm going to drive 6 hours to and from the resort, I'd prefer to get a bit more time on the slope.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Granite Peak is fun but pricey. I ski it on max pass so it takes some the bite out of it. Around the holidays it was 95% open and was told it was fully open until the warm up. They have great snow making. The only they need is cold. The extreme left and right areas are pretty fun and steep. The downside is the long run outs. Your skiing but that is about it. The upside is that it is a cool place with a laid back vibe. They draw from as far south as St Louis but it is mostly locals, Minnesotans and flatlanders frlm Illinois. I will make it my mission to ski there at least once a season to support them, but it is pricey and equidistant for me with the Boyne propertieson the Max Pass.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Granite Peak is fun but pricey. I ski it on max pass so it takes some the bite out of it. Around the holidays it was 95% open and was told it was fully open until the warm up. They have great snow making. The only they need is cold. The extreme left and right areas are pretty fun and steep. The downside is the long run outs. Your skiing but that is about it. The upside is that it is a cool place with a laid back vibe. They draw from as far south as St Louis but it is mostly locals, Minnesotans and flatlanders frlm Illinois. I will make it my mission to ski there at least once a season to support them, but it is pricey and equidistant for me with the Boyne propertieson the Max Pass.

Granite Peak is owned by the same group that owns Lutsen, FYI. Thus you see things like high speed lifts, expensive food and insanely high ticket prices.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn’t find the food and bev prices to be too unreasonable. The lifts are great. The tickets are a bit steep though for the amount of terrain that is truly skiable.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Yeah that sounds like what I've heard from other folks; lifts are great with some fun routes that are hampered by long run outs. Looking at the trail map it appears they have quite a few black diamonds and even some double blacks...that merge into blues and greens. :/

Definitely still interested in checking it out. It's either Spirit Mountain (2 hours), Granite (3 hours) or Lutsen (4 hours) for my "big" local ski trip.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah that sounds like what I've heard from other folks; lifts are great with some fun routes that are hampered by long run outs. Looking at the trail map it appears they have quite a few black diamonds and even some double blacks...that merge into blues and greens. :/

Definitely still interested in checking it out. It's either Spirit Mountain (2 hours), Granite (3 hours) or Lutsen (4 hours) for my "big" local ski trip.

Have you been to spirit before? It's fun and they have a really nice 4 pack high speed lift, but it's pretty flat overall

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
I haven't. I know it's nothing mindblowing but I'm just looking for new views at this point. Maybe I'll just go to Trollhaugen :ogcool:

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I liked Spirit. Decent hill to have fun with family. I've been told Giants Ridge is nicer.

I would pick Lutsen over Granite. Granite's trail list includes every clearing that is wider than 3'. :)

How far is Mont Ripley or Bohemia from you. Houghton, MI and Mount Bohemia, 6532 Gay Lac La Belle Rd, Mohawk, MI 49950

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
I liked Spirit. Decent hill to have fun with family. I've been told Giants Ridge is nicer.

I would pick Lutsen over Granite. Granite's trail list includes every clearing that is wider than 3'. :)

How far is Mont Ripley or Bohemia from you. Houghton, MI and Mount Bohemia, 6532 Gay Lac La Belle Rd, Mohawk, MI 49950

Bohemia is definitely on the bucket list. Both of those are a good 6 hours. A bit over my time limit this year.