• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
As the West gets snow, we still have temps in the 70s, but that is suppose to change this week.

upload_2017-10-22_10-33-19.png

So there is a chance.........

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One can hope. There was a ski show in Chicago this weekend, and there was a quiet optimism that the snow would be here soon. I hope they are right.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dwight have you ever been to Lutzen? Wondering if it is worth the drive from Chicago.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tutlyn, I have been to lutsen several times and can answer any questions you may have. I live in the Twin Cities however and my (much) shorter drive taints my view more favorable than yours may be after driving 500+ miles to get there.

It is a special place and does have 800+ feet of vert, a high speed 6 pack and 8 person Gondola and some amazing views. It''s also pretty expensive overall for what you get and can be VERY cold and windy.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Dwight have you ever been to Lutzen? Wondering if it is worth the drive from Chicago.
Not yet, but my brother goes there from Madison a few times a year to ski and instruct. He loves it. I've yet to make the trip. I figure 6 more hours and I"m in Co. :)

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I also live in the Twin Cities. Lutsen is the best we've got, but it absolutely does not compare to anything out west. For me it's a four hour drive for some very cold, very mediocre skiing. Alternatively, I can get up at 6:00 in Minneapolis and be skiing at Loveland or Snowbird by 10:00 am. While certainly not more economical, heading to PC/Cottonwoods or Winter Park/Summit County takes about the same amount of time.

Expense was also mentioned above. I find everything about Lutsen to be terribly overpriced. It is pretty, however, and the locals are good folk.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Living in Chicago i have alot of cheap flying options. But I bought a max pass this year and want to get some local value. I ski Granite peak a few times each year and will give boyne a run as well. 8 hours is the tipping point between getting behind the wheel or getting on a plane.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw that you posted that Whitecap is not going to open this season. Is that a for sure?
Not a 100% sure. Then again the "bank" has been running them for about 4 years now and was told by another hill owner, they were not opening this season.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a 100% sure. Then again the "bank" has been running them for about 4 years now and was told by another hill owner, they were not opening this season.
I've been told they will be open. Glad for that.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Always have wanted to get up to whitecap and the other hills in that area but have gone to Lutsen each year instead...

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Always have wanted to get up to whitecap and the other hills in that area but have gone to Lutsen each year instead...

You should do a trip to Whitecap. As you may know, Whitecap, Big Powderhorn, Indian Head and Black Jack are all within 30 minutes of town. They have more snow than Lutsen and more terrain when you combine 2 or more. Less vert though. Both are top tier Midwest destinations.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Whitecap is great, especially if you have a family. Good snow years, Whitecap is definitely worth it. Just don't take the lift over the 70' span. :)

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, we're kicked around the idea of going up the UP several times. Priced it out, etc. We're had discount tickets to Lutsen tough making it the same price per day as Indianhead. We'll get up there eventually. I did drive through the area last year and the hills up there are bigger that I thought they would be. Looks like some decent skiing.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
8" of snow at Indianhead Saturday. Tyrol Basin, opened today for hike and ski and Trollhaugen did too.

Granite Peak started making snow too. Conflicting weather forecasts, but it might not be around long.

David G Dziuban

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Whitecap is great, especially if you have a family. Good snow years, Whitecap is definitely worth it. Just don't take the lift over the 70' span. :)
8" of snow at Indianhead Saturday. Tyrol Basin, opened today for hike and ski and Trollhaugen did too.

Granite Peak started making snow too. Conflicting weather forecasts, but it might not be around long.

I was at WC yesterday and there was about 8" of heavy snow on ground. I was there for 4 hours mtg and when I left there still was no plowing done.Nobody in lodge to speak with either. So sad. That place could be so great. MY tracks were the only ones up to the lodge.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at WC yesterday and there was about 8" of heavy snow on ground. I was there for 4 hours mtg and when I left there still was no plowing done.Nobody in lodge to speak with either. So sad. That place could be so great. MY tracks were the only ones up to the lodge.

But who want's to put 3 mil into it, jut to get it up to par? That's the problem.

David G Dziuban

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
But who want's to put 3 mil into it, jut to get it up to par? That's the problem.
Would be more than 3 mil. 6 mil for lifts alone. 4 mil for lodge. 1.5 mil for hotel renovations 1.3 mil for groomers. 3 mil for snowmaking.

Sponsor

Staff online