• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Our favorite place to stay is the butternut inn and pancake house on the access road near the foundry. Jim the owner is fabulous and their breakfast is killer. More expensive but won't break the bank.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, this is kind of anti-stoke.....and it's only PA.....;)....But look what I found up at Elk Mtn. this past weekend........what?????...a fence at the quad lot ski on/off path?

IMG_3379.JPG

If you know Elk and the good times at the quad lot.......this might be an issue.

IMG_3380.JPG

I guess the owners decided that the long time local pass holders and loyal quad lot "tailgaters" should not be able to walk out onto the slope to start/end their day on the quad lift.

IMG_3382.JPG

There is now a fence that prevents people that park/tailgate/visit with friends, etc. from entering/exiting the slope from the infamous quad lot.

Not sure this is the best customer service move for Elk nation. Time will tell. If it stays, the quad lot will be changed forever....:doh:

Last edited:

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Do you think that fence at Elk will be left closed during the winter? What's the purpose of it other than to make you angry.

I've never been to Elk (or anywhere near it to ski).

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you think that fence at Elk will be left closed during the winter? What's the purpose of it other than to make you angry.

I've never been to Elk (or anywhere near it to ski).

I've never been to Elk either, but I can think of a couple of reasons, neither of them good...

1) They want to force you to the main base area in hopes of selling you more food/drinks/etc.
2) They don't want to put staff there to check passes on that lift, so only want people to start on the others.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've never been to Elk either, but I can think of a couple of reasons, neither of them good...

1) They want to force you to the main base area in hopes of selling you more food/drinks/etc.
2) They don't want to put staff there to check passes on that lift, so only want people to start on the others.
1), Possible but not probable because skiers have to go to the base lodge to purchase lift tickets.
2), Imo, RFID's would've been a better solution to curtail and or eliminate poaching.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Elk seems to go out of their way to prevent people from having fun.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wonder if they'll list it as a summer improvement. In addition to the trees that I'm sure we're planted of course.

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The majority of people who park at the end of the quad lot to use this ski on/off path are local pass holders/long time customers/families.

Parking spots are filled early at this far end of lot, and families and friends tailgate throughout the day on weekends.....nice vibe.

Now that fence/gate are there it will prevent access to the Lenape slope via this lot....so it will effect this long tradition of parking at the end of the quad lot.

Sent the pics to guys at shop..already creating quite a stir with the local pass holding community.....yikes!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have been to ELK a few times and did not know that lot and walk on option was available. Seems like it would have been a good way to get away from some crowds. It is a good place to ski but a bit of a drive for a day trip for me.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I know the spot your talking about. But I try to stay away from there on weekends,to crowded for me. I suspect they will have it open on weekends though

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
IMG_0081.JPG IMG_0083.JPG IMG_0080.JPG

Even if they open the fence from time to time, which due to ground clearance will be difficult with a decent base or snowstorm, it will never be as visually inviting as what we had. That Fence is UGLY!

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 29931 View attachment 29932 View attachment 29933

Even if they open the fence from time to time, which due to ground clearance will be difficult with a decent base or snowstorm, it will never be as visually inviting as what we had. That Fence is UGLY!

Nice pics ......That's the spot........my usual parking spots are right next to the car in the 1st picture......:)

And yes the fence does run about 100 yards up and down the parking lot/trail boundary so as to not be able to walk/ski down to the quad lift from the lot.

Last edited:

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
as for the fence at Elk?
Not familiar with Elk as I never been there. But no corporation or business owner spends money and effort to put up a fence without a reason for it.
Possibly there could be some sort of insurance issue with the way it was. Or perhaps (and is something we all get subject to when doing just about anything) a good thing is now ruined and prevented because certain individuals were taking advantage of something and/or simply do not know how to act. Unfortunately sometimes the actions of some bad apples all too often cause the existence of new rules, regulations , and new procedures to be put in place which dampen enjoyment and practicality for the rest of the normal world of people when trying to enjoy themselves.

I don't know what could be the reasons for a fence but it wouldn't surprise me if its just another case where a few have ruined things for the many others. Not just skiing but just about everything we do and places we go are too often dampened and ruined by idiots who abuse and/or just outright do stupid things. I mean they are not putting this fence up for no reason at all. If its not an insurance issue then it must be due to some public stupidity or abuse reason. And even if it is an insurance regulation, those are usually put in place due to public stupidity or abuse anyway.

People who cause the practicality and enjoyment to be tamed and even partially ruined for the rest of the respectful world should have to walk around with a big cartoon like cloud over their heads that says "I have ruined things for the rest of you"

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought the same thing about the insurance company as possible reason. I know in my business they are worse that the state as far as mandates. Starting to hate them almost as much as lawyers