• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There are places that charge for parking? How much is it?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to the dark side. :D :nono:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
There are places that charge for parking? How much is it?

A lot of places "out west" charge for parking, at least for the "close in" lots. i.e., Breckenridge has a remote parking area which requires a (free) shuttle bus to get you to the base of the lifts. Western areas do not cater to the day skier market; they're interested in vacationing skiers who come for the week, stay in the village, don't need a car (i.e., everything is within walking distance, etc).

The last time I went to Stratton, Vermont they had a similar system -- "walk to parking" was charged, and there was a shuttle bus for the free "remote" parking.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can see if there's limited space. I don't recall space being a big issue at Sunappe although the lots down the hill require a bus anyways. Ten years ago in Utah we didn't have to pay. Cannon isn't usually so busy that parking becomes a problem. Bretton Woods reserves the first few rows for passholders until 10 AM which is a nice way to reward customers rather than squeeze every penny out of them.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The last time I went to Stratton, Vermont they had a similar system -- "walk to parking" was charged, and there was a shuttle bus for the free "remote" parking.

I don't believe Stratton has a daily paid parking system. A large portion of the upper parking deck is reserved for permit parking. A seasonal thing.
The permit parking is great for rushing a kid into ski school. Guarantee close in parking.

The lower deck of the concrete parking structure is of first come first serve type. Got to get there realllly early or else it's lot 1 & 2. Which means the cattle car.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can see if there's limited space. I don't recall space being a big issue at Sunappe although the lots down the hill require a bus anyways. Ten years ago in Utah we didn't have to pay. Cannon isn't usually so busy that parking becomes a problem. Bretton Woods reserves the first few rows for passholders until 10 AM which is a nice way to reward customers rather than squeeze every penny out of them.

I am sure there are resorts that charge for parking, resorts that charge for parking only at certain locations/during certain times, and resorts that never charge. I think charging for parking could be a way for resorts to make some added income in a way that does not impact the "average skier". Would seem better that they try to make a few extra $$s this way than by raising the price of food.

There is always limited space when it comes to parking that is close to the slopes. And even if it's free, you have to get there really early to get a spot.

I usually do not pay for parking but I have done so at times - paid for parking in Vail not so much because it was covered but because it was walking distance to the slopes and paid for parking at Okemo because I did not want to trek to 500 yards down the mountain in terrible weather.

Reminds me of the parking situation at restaurants around Los Angeles - many of them charge you for parking, others give you a credit you if you eat there and others offer free parking regardless.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I don't believe Stratton has a daily paid parking system. A large portion of the upper parking deck is reserved for permit parking. A seasonal thing.
The permit parking is great for rushing a kid into ski school. Guarantee close in parking.

The lower deck of the concrete parking structure is of first come first serve type. Got to get there realllly early or else it's lot 1 & 2. Which means the cattle car.

Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification. I just remember the signs indicating that riff-raff such as myself should park down the road with the other deplorables (I might not be remembering the language verbatim, but you get the idea...).

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification. I just remember the signs indicating that riff-raff such as myself should park down the road with the other deplorables (I might not be remembering the language verbatim, but you get the idea...).

I know exactly how you felt. Stratton takes their class stratification seriously. Permit parking people is just one level up from riff-raff like you on the food chain.
Join the Stratton Mountain Club for a ultimate on the mountain experience. Valet parking. Consierge service for you ski equipment. What ski would you like to ski on today, Mr. F? as they valet your car. Separate club house and express lift line so you don't have to mingle with the normal folks.

Sound like it would be a good fit for you. I seriously think it's something you should look into. :cool:

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Attitash charges if you want to park of the same side of the highway as the lodge and lifts. If you want to park for free then you have to park across Route 302.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Mount Snow has $20 VIP parking. I have good parking karma there or otherwise just have a jeep so I can "fit" places so never have an issue there. I paid $20 quite often when i frequented Big Bear. Sometimes it's just worth it to pay the $$ so you have less walking and it's sure appreciated at the end of the day when your pooped and are carrying gear.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've only been to Maine twice. September 17, 1982 and March 31 and April 1, 1985. I think Imwould like to ski there.:daffy:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Does anyone know if/when Killington's doing the buy one/get one promotion? I could have sworn they'd announced it by this time last year? This is how we do much of our early season Killington skiing so I don't want to miss it.

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
Does anyone know if/when Killington's doing the buy one/get one promotion? I could have sworn they'd announced it by this time last year? This is how we do much of our early season Killington skiing so I don't want to miss it.
Heard they might not be doing it this year unfortunately.

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
Crap balls, thanks!!!! Guess it's time to buy an express card and/or just buy tickets in advance when I know we're headed there.
Indeed! I'm still hoping they will do the newsletter 2 for 1s just a lot later than usual... but that is probably not going to happen. K tickets are not bad for midseason deals. Early season will be a steep price to pay without an express card.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Indeed! I'm still hoping they will do the newsletter 2 for 1s just a lot later than usual... but that is probably not going to happen. K tickets are not bad for midseason deals. Early season will be a steep price to pay without an express card.

We're only at Killington early season and then live there in the spring. I'd get some k tickets but we're never there mid season. I'm getting a spring pass come march but need to take care of early season. Just looked at the express card weekend rate and that's $86 which I refuse to pay. Wonder if the week or 2 week out advance purchase rate would be better than that.

Skiboatr

Booting up
Skier
I'm thinking about going to see the World Cup race at Killington. Any recommendation on a good place to stay? Looking for a decent place at a decent price. Does have to be super close to the mountain. Plus I'm thinking places will be pretty booked up.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Kton hotel is and has always been the Summit Inn.......You've been Summitized !!!! Even with new management and no dogs it's a good classic place to stay.....good bfast in the am......will be back there again a bunch this winter. Usually there Super Bowl weekend:Cristmassnow:

Sponsor

Staff online