• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I too have begun to think in terms of the coming season. I carefully chose my performance dates for midweek so it own't affect ski plans too much. As things stand right now ... I will for sure be in Mammoth the first week of March for the ski diva trip and we are planning a spring break/April trip as well. I would love to get up there earlier, but will probably stay closer to home.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We're about 90% confirmed for opening weekend. Then, we have a trip planned/booked at Christmas. As to 2018, it'll probably be more spring timey, but it just depends. BB is a lot closer. One big trip for sure in March (birthday month).

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes! I love it when winter break is later. Last year I was able to use my BAF passes at the full 50% because Mammoth didn't treat it as holiday - no such luck this year. BUT ... at least they are allowing a 30% discount. I'll take it.

Last edited:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are set for opening weekend!

Also, today is the last day of "early season deals" at MM lodging. If you book 3+ nights you'll get $100 in resort money.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Our Mammoth skiing is mostly April and later, and before Christmas when there is enough snow. None of these trips are reserved more than a week or two in advance. So no surprise last year I skied a record 27 days at Mammoth.

The exception is the big demo event around second week of February. Liz really likes that, but last year the weather was too vicious and cancelled it.

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
giphy.gif
2fBD5dc

goodbye summer........

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier
I've never been to Mammoth and I'm thinking of going Thanksgiving weekend. Has anyone ever gone at that time? Is it really crowded? As a low intermediate, would any of the greens and easy blues trails be open?

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It will definitely be crowded unless there is an unusually large early snowfall and they get a lot of the mountain open. I am actually not sure what their opening order is. I know they start with Broadway and the runs around Main lodge.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I've never been to Mammoth and I'm thinking of going Thanksgiving weekend. Has anyone ever gone at that time? Is it really crowded? As a low intermediate, would any of the greens and easy blues trails be open?

I went up a couple days before Thanksgiving a few years back and had a good time despite some serious wind re second day. It depends on snow though. If Mammoth gets a good start it's worth it. If not...

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
You would want Canyon Lodge to be open, otherwise you will be limited to the two bunny runs on Discovery chair and a few mainstream blue runs that will be congested with faster traffic.

Canyon has been open at Thanksgiving only 2 of the past 11 seasons, and I think that's representative of long term average.

Nobody should advance commit $$$ to Thanksgiving skiing. You have to wait until you see where the snow is, and in some years there is not enough anywhere to justify travel or lodging cost. If you want to ski the WROD anyway, do it somewhere close to home and cheap, because that's what you will be getting at most destination resorts that early. Thus if it gets much into December without much natural snow and I'm antsy to ski, I'll drive to Big Bear for a day rather than make the longer trip to Mammoth with lodging cost for the same kind of skiing.

If there is abundant snow in November, sure you can make a last minute call to get some of it. It's still a holiday though and will be busy. Skiing in November is icing on the cake and relatively rare for me. I often take non-ski vacations in November. If you have to commit $$$ in advance for Thanksgiving, do that for a less speculative activity than skiing.

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
10-29-17 11:00 AM –

Looks like we have the first significant winter storm of the new season on the way. Confidence is now growing in a system that moves in late Friday and lasts into Sunday.

The fine details will evolve over the next few days, as we are still in the outlook period.

First call on this system is for 1-3+ feet of snow from Main Lodge up to the top of Mammoth Mountain. There is also the potential for this system to be even wetter so stay tuned for the Monday AM update.

Mammoth Snowman

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online