• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
Snowbasin was lovely today. It was busy but not over the top. The snow was in good condition. Very impressed with the mountain. I can see it would be a favourite of mine if all open.
Alta tomorrow.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
Edit: Local primary tv weather guy is calling for a very snowy January. At this point I'll take whatever stoke's out there.
I hope so:crossfingers:
Fwiw, so far our local weatherman, meteorologist Glen Hurricane Schwartz's winter forecast for Philadelphia has been spot on. I have had three measurable snowfalls. First was < 1", the second 6" and the last 2" was enough to get out on the XC-Skis. ogsmile

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I realized how much my routine is based on crowd avoidance when today I broke my own rules and ventured onto Main St. late afternoon to get a boot issue addressed and then went to the grocery. 5 more days tick tick.

Edit: Local primary tv weather guy is calling for a very snowy January. At this point I'll take whatever stoke's out there.

Damn tourists

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think she knows but she's playing 'em close to the vest.

Now is no time for your bird to get all cheeky! This is serious stuff! :ogcool:

I had two fairly short but 100% untracked powder runs yesterday. It was wind packed and the consistency of creamed cheese but it was good nonetheless.

Who is your local weather-guesser of choice?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Now is no time for your bird to get all cheeky! This is serious stuff! :ogcool:

I had two fairly short but 100% untracked powder runs yesterday. It was wind packed and the consistency of creamed cheese but it was good nonetheless.

Who is your local weather-guesser of choice?

"In and Out" or if you'd rather, "Out and In" opened today. So, at least you can pop over to that side of the mountain and dream. Word is that don't want to venture off-piste over there.
The snow is great, the crowds suck. I get so tense when I ski and it's so crowded.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I realized how much my routine is based on crowd avoidance when today I broke my own rules and ventured onto Main St. late afternoon to get a boot issue addressed and then went to the grocery. 5 more days tick tick.

Every year it’s deja vu all over again. Christmas the crowds suck and the snow is ho hum (except last year the snow was great!). Crowds disperse and it starts snowing! Sundance comes and we get 8 feet in a week, skinny women from California totter around in deep drifts wearing stilettos, mountain is almost empty, the skiing rocks! Like clockwork- have faith!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
White coat???? Wouldn’t trust that dude, stick to @Lorenzzo ’s bird
He wears that when at least 1" of measurable snow is expected at SLC International.
He was pretty excited about the pattern change that seems to be setting up for us starting middle of next week.
In the meantime, I take early morning runs for about an hour or so to dial in some boot changes, adapt to my shorter skis, and enjoy the smooth groomers before the hoards hit.

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
He wears that when at least 1" of measurable snow is expected at SLC International.
He was pretty excited about the pattern change that seems to be setting up for us starting middle of next week.
In the meantime, I take early morning runs for about an hour or so to dial in some boot changes, adapt to my shorter skis, and enjoy the smooth groomers before the hoards hit.

The photo is Mark Eubank, not Kevin his son that is currently on TV.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The snow is great, the crowds suck. I get so tense when I ski and it's so crowded.
Sorry to hear about the crowds :( . I'm sure that fancy new 6pak lift does a great job of funneling them all into Scare Hollow five times as fast as ever before ;( . I would also guess that Little Cat is jammed first thing with everyone trying to get to Wildcat? I don't want to sound like a broken record but "Adding new lifts without increasing skiable terrain is never a good idea." Hopefully they've at least been opening the upper parking lot first thing..., yeah right :( .

This as what happens when you sell 20,000 season passes. At least that's what I heard they sold last year, probably more this season. I bought the premier pass this season because I'd heard that it was not busy during the blackout period. Do you have any idea what the daily skier count has been this week?
Packing up today for the return to Utah. I guess there's no hurry.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Much better day at Alta yesterday. found great snow under the chair on Wildcat while all the tourists stood in line to ride Collins/Sugarloaf/Supreme

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I love the Wildcat chair!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry to hear about the crowds :( . I'm sure that fancy new 6pak lift does a great job of funneling them all into Scare Hollow five times as fast as ever before ;( . I would also guess that Little Cat is jammed first thing with everyone trying to get to Wildcat? I don't want to sound like a broken record but "Adding new lifts without increasing skiable terrain is never a good idea." Hopefully they've at least been opening the upper parking lot first thing..., yeah right :( .

This as what happens when you sell 20,000 season passes
. At least that's what I heard they sold last year, probably more this season. I bought the premier pass this season because I'd heard that it was not busy during the blackout period. Do you have any idea what the daily skier count has been this week?
Packing up today for the return to Utah. I guess there's no hurry.
Actually, people are not using the Wildcat lift that much! It's become my go-to, as Herbert's is one of my favorite pitches to work on things on. Scare Hollow is thinning out now (relatively speaking) with people skiing out and in/in and out, and also Wildcat Bowl. School Hill finally doesn't feel like the 405 in L.A. at rush hour, either. Little Cat went down today, though!

My trick is to go first thing, lap a few times (90 minutes or so) then call it a day. I'll probably suck it up for the full day tomorrow with a certain someone teaching up there. Hoping things quiet down next week AND we get the storms we're supposed to. I've got some Sheevas calling my name...

Your 2nd point is what's happening. The Mountain Collective line has been long, too. I have not heard what skier counts have been, but I guarantee you, there are records being broken daily. The boutique mountain is no longer, I'm afraid.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are you sure that is Mark and not Kevin? Mark was always rail thin.
First human clones for sure.

Jay, The ‘snow coat’ is a tradition started by his father Mark (now retired) a long time ago. He and his son get geeked up about snow like they are ski bums.

Sponsor

Staff online