• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Holy smokes, dude.
Glad you're safe!
Keep us posted. When all is fine later on, we'll hassle you for not saving your Renouns.
I have to admit as we loaded the car at 2am, I thought to myself, I wonder what my wife would do if I walked out with my Renouns. I decided I like my marriage more than even the Renouns. I should tell her that.

I was also thinking about throwing the bike rack and my two favorite bikes on, but that glow in the sky and Armageddon campfire smell hanging in the air motivated me to get moving.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have to admit as we loaded the car at 2am, I thought to myself, I wonder what my wife would do if I walked out with my Renouns. I decided I like my marriage more than even the Renouns. I should tell her that.

I was also thinking about throwing the bike rack and my two favorite bikes on, but that glow in the sky and Armageddon campfire smell hanging in the air motivated me to get moving.
I hope all of it is still there for you when its all over.
Sending good vibes your way, and in the direction of the firefighters on the front lines.
The news reports look .........well, I don't have to tell you what they look like.

Tony

tseeb
Skier

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Some ways to help here: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/How-To-Help-North-Bay-Fire-Relief-Efforts-450142573.html

While some people have issues with Red Cross, they may be best way to help which can be done by calling 1-800-RED-CROSS

We returned to Bay Area after 4 nights in South Tahoe yesterday. There were many plumes of smoke visible from I-80 between Vacaville and our turnoff at I-680. My wife said she could see the glow from flames in places.

Downtown SF smells like a camp fire right now!

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some ways to help here: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/How-To-Help-North-Bay-Fire-Relief-Efforts-450142573.html

While some people have issues with Red Cross, they may be best way to help which can be done by calling 1-800-RED-CROSS

We returned to Bay Area after 4 nights in South Tahoe yesterday. There were many plumes of smoke visible from I-80 between Vacaville and our turnoff at I-680. My wife said she could see the glow from flames in places.

@Tony Thanks for the link.

I'm thinking (maybe mistakenly) a couple of thousand homes is a small enough effort that a local (Bay Area) effort would be enough. Building a sense of community is also important; neighbors helping neighbors. I'm also thinking that the Red Cross have had their hands full with 2-3 hurricanes and millions of displaced elsewhere around the continent (and PR). I choose to go with https://www.gofundme.com/napa-sonoma-fires

The Dad

reducing mountain town property values
Skier
Crazy stuff going on. Hoping all the Puggers are out of harm's way.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I was also thinking about throwing the bike rack and my two favorite bikes on, but that
@skibob /anyone know of the best way to help Santa Rosa evacuees from afar? Funds to red cross or other relief organizations?
I can't find the list, but earlier today I read a list of requests from evacuation centers. That seems to be where the immediate need is. The most requested item was bedding. Most didn't seem to list a way to make donations, though. It may have been one of the local papers that had a list of needs at the evacuation centers. They may have set up a way of collecting funds by now.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Reads like this nauseating fair weather may be ending. New long range NWS forecast raising possibility of snow Friday October 19. Most importantly it may quench the horrible wildfires.

Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Reno NV 211 PM PDT Sat Oct 14 2017

.LONG TERM...Wednesday onward...

Top 3 things to know:
1. Winds increase and become gusty on Thursday
2. Increasing precipitation chances Thursday into Friday
3. Mountain passes could see snow Friday

The main focus for the long term continues to be a weak
atmospheric river (AR) and then trough making landfall along the
west coast the end of next week. Winds will be increasing ahead of
this feature, with the strongest winds likely to be on Thursday.
The upper and lower level winds are somewhat disjointed, so while
windy, we do not anticipate a high wind event. Peak gusts look to
be around 40-50 mph in valley locations and about double that for
mountain tops.

... The main period
of precipitation will be Thursday into Friday.

Due to plenty of warm air ahead of the system, snow levels will
start high, likely around 8000-9500 feet. They will drop off to 5500-
6500 feet closer to the Oregon border and 6500-7500 feet south of
Highway 50, on Friday behind a cold front. As far as snow impacts to
roadways, it will be a race between exiting precipitation and
approaching colder air. Snow is definitely possible on mountain
passes, but snow totals will largely be determined by how quickly
the cold air makes it into the region... -Dawn

SSSdave

Skier
Storm did well. SR4, 104, 120 are now closed with R2 conditions on SR88. KW web cam shows a nice layer of a few inches of snow. Like the September 20 storm, that snow will melt away due to still warm ground temperatures however at this time of year as each storm cools the ground more and with wet layers at soil surfaces, those freeze at night making it more likely the next storm will finally seal surfaces. Worth keeping an eye on beyond the long range discussion forecast is a typhoon in the western Pacific moving up towards Japan that may eject out to the northeast into the cold Bering Sea flow juicing water content then out across east into the Gulf of Alaska by the following weekend. Am packed up for a short road trip today over to the Mono Lake zone for fall aspen leaf photography and it appears will need to take the long route over SR88 then down US395.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Storm did well. SR4, 104, 120 are now closed with R2 conditions on SR88. KW web cam shows a nice layer of a few inches of snow. Like the September 20 storm, that snow will melt away due to still warm ground temperatures however at this time of year as each storm cools the ground more and with wet layers at soil surfaces, those freeze at night making it more likely the next storm will finally seal surfaces. Worth keeping an eye on beyond the long range discussion forecast is a typhoon in the western Pacific moving up towards Japan that may eject out to the northeast into the cold Bering Sea flow juicing water content then out across east into the Gulf of Alaska by the following weekend. Am packed up for a short road trip today over to the Mono Lake zone for fall aspen leaf photography and it appears will need to take the long route over SR88 then down US395.

I'm drooling over the webcam at the top of Mt Rose. They might open this coming Friday. Any word, @ScotsSkier ? Cheers!

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Storm did well. SR4, 104, 120 are now closed with R2 conditions on SR88. (a lot deleted here) Am packed up for a short road trip today over to the Mono Lake zone for fall aspen leaf photography and it appears will need to take the long route over SR88 then down US395.
It looks like you were or will be able to return over 108 or 120 as they have re-opened and OpenSnow does not expect much besides some near record heat until November.

Is it too early to complain about Kirkwood closing too early in 2018? They are scheduled to close April 8! If they keep moving the date up, will it be 2019 or 2020 when they close in March, whether or not they have snow. Some year I'm going to have to try the Sierra-Tahoe pass. While they no longer include days at Squaw, they still include Powder Alliance.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
OpenSnow does not expect much besides some near record heat until November.

Yup! Mt Rose still shows Oct 27, but their webcams tell me otherwise. Unless they are making snow on the slide side's base. I am desperate at this point, and willing to drive 7 hours for some wrod, at any cost, but it seems I'll need to wait. Mother nature ... pretty please? :D

SSSdave

Skier

SSSdave

Skier
Nice to have just found this in my mailbox:

tahoe-value-pass.jpg

Notice there are no holes in this RF version for a lanyard. Don't really trust the security for things not falling out of my ski clothing pockets.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice to have just found this in my mailbox:

tahoe-value-pass.jpg

Notice there are no holes in this RF version for a lanyard. Don't really trust the security for things not falling out of my ski clothing pockets.
I guess I should upload a photo so they can send me mine. This will be my first year with an Epic Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor