• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
it was a great season/year for me as well -- ski'd mostly Mt Rose and a couple of day trips to Kirkwood. Got to finally meet in person @Philpug @Tricia @Mendieta and from last year ... @Tony and @ScotsSkier.

Got some sanity checks from @WadeHoliday which really improved my bump skiing and carving. :hail:

Now, just looking to enjoy the whole mountain...

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I really enjoyed skiing Tahoe for the first time this past season. I loved, loved, loved the 4 days we got in at Heavenly and 1 day at Kirkwood was NOT enough. Couldn't get on the bus to head over to Northstar. Enjoyed meeting and skiing with @Wannabeskibum, @SShore and @fatbob. I had some nice email chats with some other folks in the area but wasn't able to meet up with them. I'm really looking forward to coming back to Tahoe.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
An abbreviated season for me due to breaking my tibia February 27 at Sugarbowl.I hit a stump off piste while snow was still low tide. That ended the season, but I still broke even on my Sugarbowl and Squaw passes. I plan on making it up to my usual 45 days, a just got a pair of Nordica Enforcer 100s. Told my wife I needed an easier turning ski than my Mantras Hope to meet some other skiers this season.
Cheers to a good season ahead for you!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

I really really hope so, not only for snow quality, but also so we can enjoy skiing well into an extended spring! The first thing that came to mind was @Lex P 's post from this morning

An abbreviated season for me due to breaking my tibia February 27 at Sugarbowl.I hit a stump off piste while snow was still low tide.

Sugar Bowl _really_ struggled with the snow this past season. I am the happiest skier on earth, I am just happy to show up and slide, no matter what, But SB was really a struggle. Sections of the mountain closed, icy runs, there was only a good month or two around February when Winter caught up a bit. Not great, overall.

Which, Frankly, makes me wonder about the 2019/2020 season. I love supporting mom and pops operations, but SB's slightly restricted pass cost me, a year in advance, about as much as an Ikon pass would have cost me. Ikon, for one, would give me Squaw unlimited, which means an earlier start and MUCH later close than SB. And a lot other places. Plus Mammoth. Plus so many other potential (though unlikely) places to ski.

Mt Rose is different: stays open longer, starts earlier, and I really have a feeling that I belong there. I know the lifties and a couple of the locals, @ScotsSkier is always there and a pleasure to be around, my instruction is all there with @Mark Downing , I basically have strong ties with Mt Rose. Food and drinks are inexpensive and they have all sorts of community specials: a brat's day, a tri-tip bbq day, you name it. That one I hope to keep renewing.

Anyway, I seriously need some snow. Soon. Please! :D

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I

Mt Rose is different: stays open longer, starts earlier, and I really have a feeling that I belong there. I know the lifties and a couple of the locals, @ScotsSkier is always there and a pleasure to be around, my instruction is all there with @Mark Downing , I basically have strong ties with Mt Rose. Food and drinks are inexpensive and they have all sorts of community specials: a brat's day, a tri-tip bbq day, you name it. That one I hope to keep renewing.

And the Pugs!!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I really really hope so, not only for snow quality, but also so we can enjoy skiing well into an extended spring! The first thing that came to mind was @Lex P 's post from this morning

Sugar Bowl _really_ struggled with the snow this past season. I am the happiest skier on earth, I am just happy to show up and slide, no matter what, But SB was really a struggle. Sections of the mountain closed, icy runs, there was only a good month or two around February when Winter caught up a bit. Not great, overall.

Which, Frankly, makes me wonder about the 2019/2020 season. I love supporting mom and pops operations, but SB's slightly restricted pass cost me, a year in advance, about as much as an Ikon pass would have cost me. Ikon, for one, would give me Squaw unlimited, which means an earlier start and MUCH later close than SB. And a lot other places. Plus Mammoth. Plus so many other potential (though unlikely) places to ski.

Like any resort it has it's shortcomings...Great terrain, the parking is just darn too close to the lifts, that ever pesky annoying "local" vibe, and food is pretty good and priced too reasonable, especially with the 25% passholder discount. Again, you learn to deal with it. ;)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well, the Farmer's Almanac has good news for us. If you believe the FA.

https://www.growingproduce.com/fruits/winter-2019-coming-going-warm/

old_farmers_almanac_2019_graphic.jpg

Not great news for the midwest or New England. Colorado a bit mixed. Just about everybody else looks good. For my spot in coastal California, it looks wet too. Don't need any more damn fires.

When should the 18-19 stoke be started??????? Started for me just now :)_

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Not great news for the midwest or New England. Colorado a bit mixed. Just about everybody else looks good. For my spot in coastal California, it looks wet too. Don't need any more damn fires.

Well, if it's going to be colder in the southwest I guess we ski here.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
If you believe the FA.

Mmm ... are we supposed to believe them or trust them?

:huh:

Well, it doesn't start until @Jed Peters says so. I am so ready

:yahoo:

In the meantime, I guess we are all having all these sweet memories of the great times we had last season. I got to meet some of the folks in my bucket list :thumb:. You are next, Bob. I 'm telling ya.

:hug:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My soul is in Vermont but I really think that Mt. Rose sounds like my kinda place. I like everything I hear about it. Long season, great parking, inexpensive food, great terrain.... I mean how's the beer selection because everything else sounds amazing.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier

I'm hoping they got it wrong for the Northeast and Northwest (assuming that left side warm/wet extends into Canada). I've penciled in 2 trips to leverage my Epic pass at Okemo, Stowe, Sunapee, plus a week at Whistler.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
My soul is in Vermont but I really think that Mt. Rose sounds like my kinda place. I like everything I hear about it. Long season, great parking, inexpensive food, great terrain.... I mean how's the beer selection because everything else sounds amazing.

The beer selection is fine - but nothing to write Vermont about. A couple of the undrinkable, mass produced beers but, they always have a couple interesting beers on draft, but hey, who can argue with a 5 bucks glass of cava?

What I love is the proximity of the lifts to the parking lots. There is a locals parking lot and lodge that are both a pleasure (slides side). Park, walk a few yards and you are on the lift. Priceless!

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
When does the new issue of Powder come out?

That was the instigating even on Sept 2 last year.

It’s out. But it doesn’t QUITE feel like it’s time yet.

I’ve already gotten the mags, made plans for the new release movies...but trees aren’t turning, rain isn’t falling...etc

When you know you know.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
MT Rose 2018-19 season pass arrived in the mail today ......

Must ...... not ..... think ..... about ..... soft ....... frozen ....... surfaces ........

I generally do not touch my gear until the first of October, but my will power seems to have faded a bit - started mounting new skis today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online