• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Skied Squaw from about 8:30 till noon. A clear night led to a bit of a freeze so not too sticky. They've also been salting in a few spots but the groomers have kinda given up I think. Besides the terrain park, only 2 runs groomed off Gold Coast, 1 on Shirley & none off Siberia.
Broken clouds all morning but building up around 11am.
image.jpeg
Probably my last day there but they should be able to hang in there for the weekend... Barely !

Wow, seeing lightening in Reno. What's it looking like at higher elevations?
Lightning, thunder & a pretty good hailstorm rolled through South Lake Tahoe around 2pm.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Skied Squaw from about 8:30 till noon. A clear night led to a bit of a freeze so not too sticky. They've also been salting in a few spots but the groomers have kinda given up I think. Besides the terrain park, only 2 runs groomed off Gold Coast, 1 on Shirley & none off Siberia.
Broken clouds all morning but building up around 11am.
View attachment 46638
Probably my last day there but they should be able to hang in there for the weekend... Barely !

Lightning, thunder & a pretty good hailstorm rolled through South Lake Tahoe around 2pm.

I was also out on Thursday from about 10:30-1. 1-5 were good, but It was interesting off piste for sure. Snow quality was what I like to refer to as "surface of the moon" with sun cups that are Swissed cheesed with rain. Actually some decent turns between the now exposed cliffs on sibo ridge, but getting back to the lift was brutal! Might head out tomorrow for the party but the skiing is more of a novelty at this point. image.jpeg
Moon surface image.jpeg

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
That would be a photo to treasure.

Well.....

So was geeking out tonight combing online for a picture of the palisades w/peak on top.

Was talking to a patrol buddy while playing golf today and he suggested trying to find out what squaw peak was called by land surveyrs or the Forrest service before the name was changed to squaw peak. Then try to find a photo that way. No luck

Then we went in a different direction discussing what year national chute was the starting point of the national men's downhill (another good squaw trivia.. It's called national chute since it was the start of the men's national downhill race) which we found out was 1959. So then from there figured I've got to be able to find a photo from the start haus at the top of national. Also no luck!

I did though come across a picture in the 1959 sports illustrated archive of the cannon at the top of chute 75 from an article about the national race.

Tip of the gun is over the top of the enchanted Forrest, the rock top right is the (totally burried) light towers/slot, and the faded rocks up behind is the palisades kitchen wall/upper sun bowl..
Pretty freakin cool!! image.jpeg

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I did though come across a picture in the 1959 sports illustrated archive of the cannon at the top of chute 75 from an article about the national race.

Tip of the gun is over the top of the enchanted Forrest, the rock top right is the (totally burried) light towers/slot, and the faded rocks up behind is the palisades kitchen wall/upper sun bowl.
Thanks for finding and posting that. I thought at first that guy standing over gun with his arm raised looked big enough to be a Yeti, but closer inspection showed it was two guys.

I wonder, if any of them are still around, how their hearing is as of does not look like they are wearing much if any hearing protection,

Good lord. The fingers?? That's kick-turn-able??
I don't think it was the fingers. More likely would be East Face (GS Bowl on map) to Schimmelpfennig Bowl (between Exhibition and the fingers).

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
If your out and about hiking keep your eyes pealed 1000-1500 or so feet below the snow line in moist shady areas. Spring king porcini are popping currently. With this heat I don't think they will last long. Found a handful of good small ones and a bunch of big wormy ones on south facing here above Kings Beach image.jpeg

Last edited:

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I was at Squaw but apparently missed this. Heard he was banned for 2 years and also arrested....

Insurance Agent to Mega Resorts Management: "We just saw this video. We don't care what the fine print says on the back of lift tickets about personal responsibility. We're quadrupling your rate until you install active (a**hole) restraints on all your lifts similar to those on roller coasters."

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was at Squaw but apparently missed this. Heard he was banned for 2 years and also arrested....

I hadn't seen it but I heard about it.
Did you follow the buddy he tagged for his double back BN? He has two different angles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online