• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2017-18 Goals

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Without ANY judgement I think that's a great goal. I've learned to just accept it is what it is on any given day. Sometimes ya call it wrong and you have to live with whatever ski you choose right. I've gotten better in that i realize this is my ski for the day and that's that. I've learned to give less of a F if i call the ski wrong.

My goals are to take a 2 hour private early season lesson to work on some stuff. I also want to take a couple day clinic. I have a confidence problem but I've gotten better but I can do BETTER.

Last edited:

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I, too, plan to get in better shape, and definitely ski more. I also hope to take a clinic; I've heard good things about the women's clinics at Okemo.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
4 ski trips, two are already booked, one in December, and one in February. Need one for March and hope to ski Chile in the summer of '18 but Chile is a long shot.

I am already working on the fitness part, I do 2 minutes 30 seconds of planks everyday, 2 minutes of wall squats everyday and I have another 4 minute exercise I don't really know how to describe that works on quad strength, and weight forward/inside edge at the same time. Oh yeah, I walk 6-10 miles a day way too often (work related).

I hope to go from a low level 4 newbie to being able to ski most if not all Blue runs (lets say less than 24* max gradient) by mid-February.

Edited to add:
It is nearly July, I would not wait too long to start getting in shape, it will be a new season before you know it.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Work on my steep terrain jump turn, pull the uphill ski back just before pushing off it, so I can land in balance with the weight in the middle of the ski.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
100 days. Its been a few years since I hit that number. Morning sessions count in my book.

Not be so fat. I'm riding mtb pretty much everyday so I've got a good jump.

Not hurt myself.

Ski tons of bumps.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
To stay healthy, ski strong, coach and teach well, inspire, be inspired, make some new friends and ski with old ones that I haven't been on a hill with in years. Ski with the kiddo and help him learn to rip .. will do DCL tryouts if all goes according to plan.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Fun thread! I could just say, get more fun out of the snow. But that's too vague. In order to achieve that and enjoy more of the mountain:
  • In terms of skills, I really want to stay more consistently "forward" (or rather, at the right, centered spot), particularly in more challenging terrain.
  • In terms of terrain, I want to get into a place where I can ski a chute or in general, expert terrain. Not sure that it will happen this coming season, so it's not quite a 2017-2018. More terrain is always better, but I want to really be comfortable (ski fast lines) in advanced terrain before I move on to expert terrain.
  • Improve my turns, particularly, carving. Ideally, I would join a masters program. I will likely buy a dedicated carving ski. The front runner: Head Titans a the moment. But I will wait patiently for deals, or perhaps change my mind. But also, if I join a masters program, I would buy racing skis, or cheaters, we'll see.
Another way of saying all of the above is that I want to keep moving out of the "intermediate" stage :) But don't get me wrong, I am loving it!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Get my 13-14 year old daughter to ski for more than an hour or two on any given day. She will ski a few runs, getting better but never really got in to it much. She loves being outdoors in the snow, but skiing is too much "work" for her preference. I think we have her boots dialed in and her feet have settled down from growing. Perhaps the gear improvements will help some but I suspect she just doesn't want to hang out with me or her brother for that long these days. She needs ski buddies of her own to encourage her.

14-15 year old son is just now getting beyond the wedge as his safety valve. Hoping he will continue to evolve to more efficient skiing. Keeping him on the less aggressive terrain should help with that.

Plan to get them both in a couple lessons with those goals in mind.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In addition to post #7:

I want my turns to be very rounded using the skis edges to carve rather than sliding through turns. I want to be technically sound in my skiing as I feel I will have a better technique base to build on. Going to steeper runs is far less important to me than building the skills on moderate slopes first. I am going with the plan that once the skills are developed, it should be easier to then transfer them to steeper slopes. Watching other skiers, mostly in videos, it looks like far too many people try to expand their terrain before the skills are really ready. To my novice eye, this just looks like it stunts the learning curve.

I started too late to waste time

Last edited:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
  1. Loose the effects of happy hour.
  2. Learn to inline skate
  3. Learn to jump rope
  4. Get stronger, particularly in my hips (glute med, abductors, adductors)
these are goals for this off season to prepare for next and my skiing goals

1. Have fun and stay healthy
  2. Enjoy my heli trip to Northern Escape
  3. Improve my teaching
  4. Teach at least 100 hours
  5. Train more than I teach
  6. Ski at least 100 days
  7. Improve my skiing to the Level 3 standard
  8. Possibly go for my Level 3.
Mike

Sponsor

Staff online