• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2017-18 Gear Teasers

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I agree, don't love my Santa Anas in rough conditions, they do get deflected too much, particularly because I'm pretty light.

That's shocking to me. In rough conditions, my Santa Anas shine. Maybe it *is* the skier weight difference ...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Maybe it *is* the skier weight difference ...

Or a style difference. We just went through something like this with herself's Blizzards - she had reported significant flap up in crud - well three days of clinics later she's on the turn sooner and higher and absolutely loves the exact same setup. In 52F rainy drekh.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Or a style difference. We just went through something like this with herself's Blizzards - she had reported significant flap up in crud - well three days of clinics later she's on the turn sooner and higher and absolutely loves the exact same setup. In 52F rainy drekh.

This hearkens to the "are there really different styles, or just technique issues" thread ...

The pugski crew (which was then on epic) specifically recommended the Santa Ana to me when I was looking for "a playful crudbuster." But there are lots of different ski designs out there for a reason - not just skis for different purposes, but skis for different styles, preferences, ability.

Lucky

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
For reference, current skis are 184 monster 88 &98's , 180 iSpeed Pro, 186 v1.0 Bodacious. There's good light (Katana V-Werks) and bad light (Soul 7). Just hoping to see the light of this whole light thing. ogsmile
I have owned the Vwerks Katana and the Soul 7 and I agree about the good and bad light. I didn't keep the Soul 7 that long. Seems like they keep trying to beef it up.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
New Attack toe...
fullsizeoutput_5567.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Why is the current heelpiece on the Attack 11 10 mm higher than the toepiece?? I put these bindings on a new pair of skis and felt like I was on stilettos. Put a lifter under the toe, haven't skied it yet. The Attack 12s are much closer in height. :huh:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why is the current heelpiece on the Attack 11 10 mm higher than the toepiece?? I put these bindings on a new pair of skis and felt like I was on stilettos. Put a lifter under the toe, haven't skied it yet. The Attack 12s are much closer in height. :huh:
I can understand your dilemma, especially in a smaller boot. I also would like to see consistancy across the board, let alone across a product line.

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
I don't like the fixed stainless steel AFD on the Attack toes. They release ok with a new, clean boot sole, but diminish dramatically in release performance and consistency with a worn boot sole. At least a teflon AFD stays relatively "slick" and minimizes friction to some extent, but the Stainless not so much. I was excited to see a "WTR" type AFD that slides laterally ala Marker or Look WTR style toes. Wish Tyrolia would lose the fixed SS AFD.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Yes, they are WTR compatible now

Sinbad, the toe wing design and pivot points for them are longer and are supposed to have more elastic travel. It's clearly a different toe, though the current version seems to work very well looping us back to a multi-boot sole interface compatible binding 'need' of the current market place.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I don't like the fixed stainless steel AFD on the Attack toes. They release ok with a new, clean boot sole, but diminish dramatically in release performance and consistency with a worn boot sole. At least a teflon AFD stays relatively "slick" and minimizes friction to some extent, but the Stainless not so much. I was excited to see a "WTR" type AFD that slides laterally ala Marker or Look WTR style toes. Wish Tyrolia would lose the fixed SS AFD.

A worn boot sole and resulting variable clearances will negatively effect the release function of all bindings. Bottom line is all bindings currently on the market function pretty darn well given the general lack of attention and care (both bindings and boots) received from their owners.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One of the things that surprised me a little with a few of the brands is a "color direction" that is, well....interesting.
Where Tec/Blizz is going to a little more bright in its boots, K2 is toning it down a bit.
IMG_0013.JPG

And their not the only one. POC is going that direction too.

Reactions: Ron

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Army green? That's ... huh.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, toned down doesn't surprise me at all. I've found myself tired of the bright colors as well and bought some charcoal grey pants this year partially because of that. If I found a midnight blue shell jacket that I liked I would be hard pressed to pass it up.