• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The Spruce Creek trailhead close to 9 connects directly to Mohawk Lakes. So you can hike in and avoid 100% of that 4wd road on foot from the 2wd parking lot.

The 4wd portion past the 2wd parking lot tends to get littered with people stopping as you say. If you drive as far as possible, that last section of road is dug out and more than just high clearance rocky (at least as of last August), but it does put you at the base of the actual climb to Mohawk so you cut out the ingress/egress.

I guess all I’m saying is that I agree that walking that road sucks - I have done it once coming out to get down faster - and if I was not comfortable driving in (idiots notwithstanding) or I wanted the longer hike, then I’d hike Spruce Creek as it really is pretty.

I’m not sure I’ve ever paid attention to what is considered the Mohawk Lakes actual trailhead, though - I think I’ve just assumed it’s all Spruce Creek and you end up at Mohawk Lakes. That might be why my comments are confusing.

As an aside, going up the old cable route by the big waterfall is pretty cool.

036495C4-D1F8-4C0E-8531-835F689B1858.jpeg 73E9C7F8-E23F-402A-BB71-D33D73688A0B.jpeg 5F315E28-264E-428C-86FE-DED2EC45F911.jpeg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
As an aside, going up the old cable route by the big waterfall is pretty cool.

We did the cable route, but based on the log placement, I suspect you're not supposed to use that branch.

And we walked through the tundra to get to the final lake, which I'm sure you shouldn't do. But there is no trail ... for a lake you can see from the second to last lake ...

Reactions: nay

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
LCC is awesome in July.

Except for the biting flies. We are so spoiled. Every time I go somewhere else in summer I’m reminded that things don’t bite me here and that I’m a huge bug pansy now ogsmile.

Yeah, we have biting flies in the Roaring Fork. All the livestock.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
We did the cable route, but based on the log placement, I suspect you're not supposed to use that branch.

And we walked through the tundra to get to the final lake, which I'm sure you shouldn't do. But there is no trail ... for a lake you can see from the second to last lake ...

I only know this because I occasionally hang out with mountain runners (my sticker says 0.0) - apparently you can do Mohawk to Crystal Peak and over to Peak 10 and into Breck. Yes, this sounds like a multi-day event to me, too, and not a morning run, but Google seems to agree.

https://www.climb13ers.com/colorado-13ers/crystal-peak

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I only know this because I occasionally hang out with mountain runners (my sticker says 0.0) - apparently you can do Mohawk to Crystal Peak and over to Peak 10 and into Breck. Yes, this sounds like a multi-day event to me, too, and not a morning run, but Google seems to agree.

https://www.climb13ers.com/colorado-13ers/crystal-peak

Burro trail, which starts at the base of peak 9, connects up over there somewhere (have not looked at your link yet). I'll claim I can't do it because the dogs wouldn't have water the whole way. sure.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@nay when your kids go off to college I volunteer to be your new adopted son. You guys are living the life out there, I always enjoy your pics.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Burro trail, which starts at the base of peak 9, connects up over there somewhere (have not looked at your link yet). I'll claim I can't do it because the dogs wouldn't have water the whole way. sure.

Yes, must look out after the pooches ogsmile.

Burro intersects the 4WD road fairly close to the 2WD parking lot.

That trail always sticks in my head because we snowshoed it out of Breck when my second son was 10 days old. So I noticed it walking down the road when I made that mistake.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Nice and humidity don't ever belong in the same sentence unless you're worried about your dewy complexion:D

My skin *does* feel supple and soft in more humid environs. Or after hot yoga ...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
What happened to August??

Could bag August in 8 days on the same patch, but it’s small and so dirty already.

I’m trying to not think too much about what St. Mary’s is going to be like in Sep. Although maybe dirty low tide will be better than 2 foot deep rain runnels if it stays relatively dry?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Could bag August in 8 days on the same patch, but it’s small and so dirty already.

I’m trying to not think too much about what St. Mary’s is going to be like in Sep. Although maybe dirty low tide will be better than 2 foot deep rain runnels if it stays relatively dry?

Fingers crossed!

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Whoa ..... looks to be about 40% frozen + 60% not frozen ....... but it still counts!

Reactions: nay

Sponsor

Staff online