• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016 Ski Town Summer Tour

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm planning to hit the road in August to visit various ski towns in the Rockies and beyond. Some of the places I'm considering are:

Whistler
Revelstoke
Whitewater
Aspen
Breckenridge
Big Sky
Bozeman
Whitefish
Jackson/Alta/Victor

I'll be bringing my bikes and fly rods. Part of the reason for the trip is to get a sense of what it would be like to become a resident either full or part time. I may or may not have a friend in tow who would be less into the skiing angle but very much into eating and cycling, either road or mountain.

I've already spent warm season time in Bend and Telluride and in general want to focus on the northern Rockies.

Any ommissions? To be considered, a place should be worthwhile for the skiing alone.

TrueNorth

Getting on the lift
Skier
Some more places on my list:
Golden BC (Kicking Horse)
Fernie BC (Fernie)
Canmore AB (Banff area resorts)
Rossland BC (Red Mtn)

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Schweitzer/Silver/Lookout Pass (Sandpoint/Couer d' Alene)
Brundage (McCall)

Last edited:
TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks - Okanagan Valley.

Some more places on my list:
Golden BC (Kicking Horse)
Fernie BC (Fernie)
Canmore AB (Banff area resorts)
Rossland BC (Red Mtn)

Thanks for the suggestions. I spent a fair amount of warm season time in BC years back. The idea of staking a claim there is intriguing.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Whitefish has a fun network of MTB trails just outside of town. We visited just after Labor Day summer before last. I understand it can be pretty busy there in summer due to it's proximity to Glacier National Park.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Rossland is often referred to as the mountain biking capital of Canada, with trails starting from town and heading every direction, on top of that there is the Seven Summits Trail.

Thing is, Sandpoint is a 2 1/2 hour drive from Rossland or Nelson, Nelson is an hour from Rossland; any one of those places is reasonably accessible from each other. I keep thinking I'll retire somewhere in the area, but that's a decade or so away, plus I would have to get my SO away from her gardening happy place, which she has cultivated for 28 years. Maybe by then she'll be tired of dealing with it all and ready to downsize.

But I digress..... Sound like you have a fun summer tour planned. It'd be great if you did a TR.

Last edited:
TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rossland is often referred to as the mountain biking capital of Canada, with trails starting from town and heading every direction, on top of that there is the Seven Summits Trail.

Thing is, Sandpoint is a 2 1/2 hour drive from Rossland or Nelson, Nelson is an hour from Rossland; any one of those places is reasonably accessible from each other. I keep thinking I'll retire somewhere in the area, but that's a decade or so away, plus I would have to get my SO away from her gardening happy place, which she has cultivated for 28 years. Maybe by then she'll be tired of dealing with it all and ready to downsize.

But I digress..... Sound like you have a fun summer tour planned. It'd be great if you did a TR.
Good idea...I think I will. Yes I'm very interested in exploring the area you describe. Aside from the skiing an biking the Canuck Rockies are just incredibly beautiful. Standpoint and norther Idaho I've never been but am really looking forward to it.

It's looking as though I'll cover Idaho, Montana and Canada and save CO for another time.

Last edited: