• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016 Baseball

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With the season coming in abotu a week or so, I started thinking about the game. Sooooo....as I am flicking through the AppleTV I came accross Field of Dreams. Some might remember on our road trip last summer while bringing back our Miata, we stopped in Iowa at the movie site....
IMG_7706.jpg IMG_7707.jpg IMG_7708.jpg IMG_7713.jpg IMG_7716.jpg IMG_7717.jpg IMG_7718.jpg

Both @Tricia and I enjoy a good game on in the background, she likes the Tigers and I am still a Phillies fan. Yes, I know baseball is boring to some, 30 minutes of action crammed into 3 hours. I have heard them all. But there is nothing like hearing Vin Scully's voice on a warm summer evening painting a picture of a game.

What are you predictions for this coming season? Do you think Joe Madden will lead the Cubbies to the promised land in Octover (November now)? Will A-Rod move closer to Bonds and will he ever be liked? Will there be another slew of no-hitters thrown since the PED's are gone? Will Bryce Harper win another MVP?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Can the Blue Jays win this year? Cuz I'm not sure they'll be able to again anytime soon. That's my question. They're looking good right now but young pitching. We'll see..

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh people will come...Ray. People will most definitely will come.

Beyond that I'm not very clear.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's trendy, but I think the Cubs are going to be good.

And hopefully the Phillies won't be as bad as they were last year.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I'll be praying for the end of the season before opening day but good luck to your favorite team

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
Giants will win it all again! :duck:But growing up 20 mins from SF, I am a Giants fan. One of their former players, Joaquin Arias, signed with the Diamondbacks' organization, and it seems pretty likely that he'll be playing for their AAA team here in Reno this year. So that's pretty cool. Maybe Zack Greinke will run into some trouble and have to do some rehab pitching here. That would be cool! Aces games are great fun, especially with the $7 general admission seats on the right field wall, lounging out in the grass watching the game.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Giants will win it all again! :duck:But growing up 20 mins from SF, I am a Giants fan. One of their former players, Joaquin Arias, signed with the Diamondbacks' organization, and it seems pretty likely that he'll be playing for their AAA team here in Reno this year. So that's pretty cool. Maybe Zack Greinke will run into some trouble and have to do some rehab pitching here. That would be cool! Aces games are great fun, especially with the $7 general admission seats on the right field wall, lounging out in the grass watching the game.
We should see about doing some games this summer.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I'll be praying for the end of the season before opening day but good luck to your favorite team
Agree 100% Start of baseball signals the ending of ski season. Baseball playoffs means ski season is ready to kick in again.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Mets! Rays too mostly because we get to see several Durham Bulls games each season. Going to Star Wars night there next month... but not the REAL Star Wars date. They aren't playing there on the 4th so it is pushed to the 7th.. "May the 7th be with you??".. just not the same but there will still be baseball..

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am an NL guy. The Cubs will win the central and best record in NL. But not sure they will 100 games or whatever. It's very very hard to win 100. And even if they do, the MLB playoffs are a crapshoot.

I am thinking both the Mets and Nats will be in the post season. Not sure who wins the division. I am thinking we will see the Nats in the NLCS. Hoping for a Mets vs. Nats NLCS.

In the west predicting Dodgers win the division and Diamondbacks are the wildcard.

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
In the west predicting Dodgers win the division and Diamondbacks are the wildcard.
What's your basis for that? AZ I see improving, adding some proven pitching to a pretty good offense, but I don't see LA doing too much this year. Maybe a new manager was all they needed, but I still see plenty of question marks. Their pitching is reminding me of SF last year: One stud pitcher surrounded by a ton of depth, but not necessarily much talent.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am an NL guy. The Cubs will win the central and best record in NL. But not sure they will 100 games or whatever. It's very very hard to win 100. And even if they do, the MLB playoffs are a crapshoot.

I am thinking both the Mets and Nats will be in the post season. Not sure who wins the division. I am thinking we will see the Nats in the NLCS. Hoping for a Mets vs. Nats NLCS.

What's your basis for that? AZ I see improving, adding some proven pitching to a pretty good offense, but I don't see LA doing too much this year. Maybe a new manager was all they needed, but I still see plenty of question marks. Their pitching is reminding me of SF last year: One stud pitcher surrounded by a ton of depth, but not necessarily much talent.

I agree with @ErikL, I don't see the Dodgers doing much, i think they are a dumpster fire still, there is a bunch of players but not a team. I think the Nats will bounce back and pissed off at themselves for last season.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't forget about the Pirates. They're bound to win a wild card game at some point.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Fangraphs has the Dodgers rotation tied with the Mets for #1 in baseball. Their position players are pretty good. They can't replace Kershaw, but good depth otherwise. If Kershaw doesn't get hurt they probabbly win the division by default.

I really only picked AZ over the Giants because they have a fun team built around offense and the Giants are basically the opposite. It's baseball, the Giant should be better but it seemed like too much of a "chalk pick". Also not really in love with Cueto or Samardizaja.

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
Over the past two years, I'd say that the Giants and Dbacks were more similar than different. Giants relied on solid contact-based hitting, with iffy pitching most of the time. AZ seems more power-oriented hitting but still similar team build. Now this past offseason both teams filled what was the biggest hole, starting pitching. AZ broke the bank and the farm for two proven pitchers. SF almost broke the bank for two pitchers, though I wouldn't necessarily call them reclamation projects or anything like that. Cueto had a bad couple months last year, after an entire career of being great, and Shark had a bad year on a bad team after a mostly solid career. They both have lots to prove, but I think they can prove to be solid signings.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With the Reno Aces being the affiliate of the Diamondbacks...I think I might start following them and they will now be my pick for the NL West.

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
I see how it is. :roflmao::0 I guess I support the Aces too, since they're the local team. But I can't support their MLB team, since they're the Giants' division rivals. I think it'll be a close run for the division between SF and AZ, and possibly LA.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

[rant on]I agree with Johnny. So much has been removed from the simple game. Opening day used to always start in Cincinnati. Get rid of the day/night double header and start scheduling real double headers, if you do 6 for each team, that will shorten the season a week, less cold at each end. Get rid of the pajama pants and bring back the sturrups. Watching the Yankees game, it is amazing how many empty seats there are. Why? Price? Apathy? [/rant off]

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Wow, no love for the defending World Series Champs, my hometown KC Royals! The AL will be really tough this year. I would love to see the Royals get there for a 3rd straight year I am interested in seeing how the Astros do. They may be the team to beat.

Sponsor