• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2016 Aspen Gathering

TS
jgiddyup

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
Aspen picture dump now that I have decent internet

Michel at Highlands

IMG_5762.JPG

Yes I do ski on occasion

IMG_0816.JPG

Vote night picture dump

IMG_5776.JPG IMG_5779.JPG IMG_5780.JPG IMG_5783.JPG IMG_5799.JPG IMG_5804.JPG

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Possible Gully was barely possible today. Full of rocks. :( I ended up sideslipping much of it very carefully
so as to avoid rocks & scraped dirt.

No keg of beer at the bottom !

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Possible Gully was barely possible today. Full of rocks. :( I ended up sideslipping much of it very carefully
so as to avoid rocks & scraped dirt.

No keg of beer at the bottom !
Holy cow!!! I must see the base of your skis today, John. Five of us had deemed it too rocky/not possible and went down Baby Ruth instead.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Great pics!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Arrived at Highlands about 30minutes late for Friday's group hike, d@ng sleep disorder! Did a few warm up runs with the non-hikers and had the pleasure of meeting segbrown and others. Sorry I wasn't better with time management to meet more of you. Anyway they split up for lunch, I did a couple runs then headed to the snow-cat. My run of the Bowl was less then inspiring, loved the following half pipe like "chute" and tree run out. Wanted to do the Bowl again but too late in what was my last of six amazing days in Aspen! Must go back!
IMG_0917_zpsd05zgofl.jpg

IMG_0938_zpscq98o0yl.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Love the pics and videos!

James

Out There
Instructor
^^Nice tree shot! I remember that lift ride at Aspen Highlands. Very cute photo of you and J despite his gangerous foot.

The sculpted shoveling of the walk way to the house in Aspen. This is what happens when you get to the house and can't get in and it's 5 deg. Then you get involved..."Skiing? Meh. There's snow sculpting to be done."
image.jpg

Boot work being done at @Chris Geib garage shop. That entire table descends from the ceiling via electric motor. Heat gun, temp reader, zeppas, upper cuffs on table. Toe stretch being done . Not visible is Foredom grinder. Loved taking the cuffs off, much to C's chagrin.
image.jpg

Those were new Lange zc plug boots. 93 mm. Liners were stretched first with the special shoe stretchers.

Using heat gun.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Aspen close up high def sq.jpg Just a quick pic from my Iphone, thanks to Jim Kenny, taken on Ajax with the Highland Bowl as background. The smile on my face just says it all. Aspen is just a great place and the Gathering group made it even better. Skiing with friends, both existing ones and one's that I had not yet met, is one of the great joys in life.
My thanks to @gathermeister for having the vision and persistence to make this happen at a very high level.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^^Nice tree shot! I remember that lift ride at Aspen Highlands. Very cute photo of you and J despite his gangerous foot.

The sculpted shoveling of the walk way to the house in Aspen. This is what happens when you get to the house and can't get in and it's 5 deg. Then you get involved..."Skiing? Meh. There's snow sculpting to be done."
View attachment 3737

Boot work being done at @Chris Geib garage shop. That entire table descends from the ceiling via electric motor. Heat gun, temp reader, zeppas, upper cuffs on table. Toe stretch being done . Not visible is Foredom grinder. Loved taking the cuffs off, much to C's chagrin.
View attachment 3738

Those were new Lange zc plug boots. 93 mm. Liners were stretched first with the special shoe stretchers.

Using heat gun.

View attachment 3740
@Chris Geib 's boot lab in his garage has more tools than the boot lab where I work. :eek:

View attachment 3749 Just a quick pic from my Iphone, thanks to Jim Kenny, taken on Ajax with the Highland Bowl as background. The smile on my face just says it all. Aspen is just a great place and the Gathering group made it even better. Skiing with friends, both existing ones and one's that I had not yet met, is one of the great joys in life.
My thanks to @gathermeister for having the vision and persistence to make this happen at a very high level.

+1
@mdf did an exceptional job with this GTG.
Good seeing you again Mike. I always love these reunions and getting to catch up with our people
:yahoo:

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey All,

The Gathering was AWESOME.
Wish I could have met/skied with more of you.....Now back to reality:poo::(....... Today I found myself walking to the train with my fists balled, fighting the non-existent cold-hard wind. A ball of anger, I tell you! ...Need to move to Colorado, that's it:golfclap::drool:!

Peter and I loved the Gathering and hope for many more. We are already dreaming about Whistler. We didn't take many pictures bc our hands were cold and phones were most likely dead. But here's some of it in a very random order.

Look how stoked Peter is...haha...I think this was at Highlands Merry-go-round.
IMG_8567.JPG
The Bowl and all those runs I couldn't do...Until Next year....
IMG_8583.JPG
The Aspen Police force certainly has a graphic designer ski bum on board...We ran into 2 Aspen police officers --- boy, do they seem to have the life. They were like movie characters - happy go lucky, extremely well groomed, fit, handsome, and diverse - there was an asian! I need to apply for a job with their police department ASAP!
IMG_8588.JPG
ASPEN ART MUSEUM - when in Rome, this is a must. Over the last 2 years their exhibits rank around 8/10. The more impressive thing is the building. If you like architecture, def add this place to your next visit. Designed by an awesome Japanese architect, Shigeru Ban. His usage of materials is impressive. Also, the exhibit on the British artist Ryan Gander was entertaining.

IMG_8600.JPG
Our plane being de-iced on the Denver runway before taking of for Aspen:
IMG_20160202_155804.jpg
Top of Long Shot --- this was a micro-hike compared to the BOWL. Glad to give the guys a warm up though.
IMG_20160204_140253.jpg

Peter and I in the typical "pose" section for these glorious mountains:
IMG_20160205_111759.jpg IMG_20160205_111948.jpg

Me, dreaming of my next trip...
IMG_20160207_105851.jpg
I

Attachments

• IMG_8585.JPG
    IMG_8585.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8586.JPG
    IMG_8586.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8590.JPG
    IMG_8590.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8595.JPG
    IMG_8595.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20160205_111735.jpg
    IMG_20160205_111735.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20160205_111909.jpg
    IMG_20160205_111909.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20160206_141247.jpg
    IMG_20160206_141247.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20160207_070819.jpg
    IMG_20160207_070819.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20160207_102157.jpg
    IMG_20160207_102157.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20160207_130804.jpg
    IMG_20160207_130804.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20160207_130847.jpg
    IMG_20160207_130847.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 12

James

Out There
Instructor
So were in line at the Cloud 9 lift at Aspen Highlands. A patroller is carrying some signs and we tell him to go ahead of us. As he gets inline, I ask him " How's ___?" Where __ is the name of a newly opened area at Highlands. He's quite surprised.
Patroller:
- "How do you know about__?"
"Oh, we have friends..."
- " Well these signs are for there."

I look at the signs. They say "Cliff!"
Just then Weems and 3 get on the chair. Patroller goes to load line.

"We're with Weems"
-"Ohhh"
I think mentioning Weems might have had more impact than my knowing about the sort of secret area.

What about __?

Well...these are the things you learn when you ski...Buttermilk. With Bob. Standing at the top he pointed it out saying they'd just opened it this year. Later that night at the Pugski party I mentioned it to mdf. Then went to get a map. But, it wasn't on the map!

Later that night or night after Bob comes over. I question where this is.
"It's not on the map!"
-" Of course it's not on the map!"
"Well, where exactly is it?"

We pull out maps, get google earth going. Find the entrance hiding in plain sight. It looks pretty serious. We hear stories of Bob's adventure in there with gs skis. (Not recommended!)
So it wasn't a surprise to see the "Cliff!" signs with the patroller. Just more "Ohh".

We didn't go in there though. Maybe next time we'll have Weems get us a guide.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I will be the last Gatherer out tomorrow morning. Will (fortunately be able to) post my pics when I get home. Finished at Highlands today with an unintended hike up the bowl with my 10 y/o and 13 y/o.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@SKI-3PO you and your kids are inspiring.