• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016-17 Northeast Conditions/reports

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Looks like Wildcat's last day is Saturday, April 27th. I failed in my goal to get there this season. However, I skied Sugarbush, Arizona Snowbowl, Lake Louise and Sunshine Village for the first time so in my world that makes up for it. As the saying goes there's always next season. I grabbed a couple bulk tickets from one of my ski club members for $50 for 2 days of skiing at Killington so my swan song of the season will be $25 bucks a day skiing at The Beast. I really want to ski my Meier skis but I'l bring Auras (rock skis) just in case conditions aren't worthy. Faction and Roxy will be there saturday for on snow demos so I'll ski their skis on Saturday and then my skis on Sunday. Hoping for a fun weekend.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Conditions were decent at Killington early on but by early afternoon it got bad. Skyhawk was somehow open. Upper skylark was iffy but passable, the middle section leading into lower ski lark and high road was downright ugly. Lower skylark and bittersweet wwre good. Choppy crud was on the menu today. Superstar was looking good. Groomers smoothed a center section all the way down but by mid day even the headwall was all bumped up. Took 1 run on my rock skis but went to see the Faction demo text and spent the rest of the day on one of their skis. It was the Roxy Shima 96 in a 174 and seemed to eat bumpy crud and chop for breakfast. Bumps are fun, it's true what they say.

I'll do another day tomorrow and then be done for the season. Should get down to 34 tonight so hopefully they'll smooth out what they can.

20170429_105355.jpg
20170429_105328.jpg
20170429_105318.jpg
20170429_105313.jpg
20170429_102344.jpg
20170429_102343_HDR.jpg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Skied Killington for the last time this season. Skied my usual Upper Skylark to High Road to Lower Bittersweet as Lower Skylark was still roped off. I was initially excited about the groomers smoothing things out this morning but then I realized that when you have slushy snow from the day before, it gets near freezing and then the groomers attempt to smooth it out. Well what get is frozen death cookies. So while I didn't get the groomers I was hoping to get what I did get was confirmation that my Meier Wild Bill skis are amazing as they handled the death cookies like a champ. Skied for a while and then decided to call it a day as the Umbrella bar was calling my name. Not a bad way to end April. Conditions like this weekend would have sent me running even as soon as last year but I'm becoming more and more comfortable in spring conditions all the time. I feel like I truly will ski any type of condition. The only thing I'm not a fan of is skiing by braille but as far as what the conditions are well, I don't worry so much about that anymore. It was just fun to get out there and slide on snow.

While I was sitting there reflecting on my day and what a great season it has been a guy came up to me and asked if I was surfsnowgirl. Well why yes it is. Turns out the guy was Pug's very own @Guy in Shorts. He introduced me to his wife and all their regular crew so that I have some more familiar faces to say hello to now that I'm becoming almost a Killington regular :). It was fun hanging out with everyone and I drove home with a smile. Can't wait until October when I'll be buying an express card so I can get out there on the first day of the season.

Me and Guy in Shorts :)
18194879_10154602299283014_191073920294038315_n.jpg

A river runs through it. This is next to the K1 Lodge
18199392_10154602299803014_4616305652332541779_n.jpg

View of Superstar from my supreme parking spot this am, not to self, get camping chair in Jeep for next year so I can tailgate.

18194617_10154602300038014_6563187565602104980_n.jpg

Gondi's "sleeping" until they come out to play again.

18268388_10154602300123014_1007052140834920873_n.jpg

View from the bottom of Lower Bittersweet. Coverage was indeed pretty good. I could have skied this trail all day.

18119608_10154602300278014_8909332652185445046_n.jpg

Groomers taking a nap until next winter.

18198573_10154602300403014_1304627631225141017_n.jpg

Groomer just finishing up at the base of Superstar. Note to self, bring coffee next time so I can sit out on the deck and start the morning off right.

18193997_10154602300558014_8606919324807680040_n.jpg

Killington will still be going for a bit but my May is fulled up with my ski school party, a Vermont trip to help my friend's elderly parents do some cleanup and a couple live shows (Spin Doctors and The Cult).

Thank you Killington for another great season. See you in October!!!!!

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
Skied Killington for the last time this season. Skied my usual Upper Skylark to High Road to Lower Bittersweet as Lower Skylark was still roped off. I was initially excited about the groomers smoothing things out this morning but then I realized that when you have slushy snow from the day before, it gets near freezing and then the groomers attempt to smooth it out. Well what get is frozen death cookies. So while I didn't get the groomers I was hoping to get what I did get was confirmation that my Meier Wild Bill skis are amazing as they handled the death cookies like a champ. Skied for a while and then decided to call it a day as the Umbrella bar was calling my name. Not a bad way to end April. Conditions like this weekend would have sent me running even as soon as last year but I'm becoming more and more comfortable in spring conditions all the time. I feel like I truly will ski any type of condition. The only thing I'm not a fan of is skiing by braille but as far as what the conditions are well, I don't worry so much about that anymore. It was just fun to get out there and slide on snow.

While I was sitting there reflecting on my day and what a great season it has been a guy came up to me and asked if I was surfsnowgirl. Well why yes it is. Turns out the guy was Pug's very own @Guy in Shorts. He introduced me to his wife and all their regular crew so that I have some more familiar faces to say hello to now that I'm becoming almost a Killington regular :). It was fun hanging out with everyone and I drove home with a smile. Can't wait until October when I'll be buying an express card so I can get out there on the first day of the season.

Me and Guy in Shorts :)
18194879_10154602299283014_191073920294038315_n.jpg

A river runs through it. This is next to the K1 Lodge
18199392_10154602299803014_4616305652332541779_n.jpg

View of Superstar from my supreme parking spot this am, not to self, get camping chair in Jeep for next year so I can tailgate.

18194617_10154602300038014_6563187565602104980_n.jpg

Gondi's "sleeping" until they come out to play again.

18268388_10154602300123014_1007052140834920873_n.jpg

View from the bottom of Lower Bittersweet. Coverage was indeed pretty good. I could have skied this trail all day.

18119608_10154602300278014_8909332652185445046_n.jpg

Groomers taking a nap until next winter.

18198573_10154602300403014_1304627631225141017_n.jpg

Groomer just finishing up at the base of Superstar. Note to self, bring coffee next time so I can sit out on the deck and start the morning off right.

18193997_10154602300558014_8606919324807680040_n.jpg

Killington will still be going for a bit but my May is fulled up with my ski school party, a Vermont trip to help my friend's elderly parents do some cleanup and a couple live shows (Spin Doctors and The Cult).

Thank you Killington for another great season. See you in October!!!!!

Big stoke here! Nice job!! Thanks, inspired stuff!

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Wife calls the springtime loving crowd at Killington the Land of the Misfit Toys. Find that I fit in here quite nicely. Skied 6 of the last 8 regular season days ending with the May Day Race on Monday where Superstar had gates on it for the first time since the World Cup. Best corn was found on Friday afternoon when the snow surface became magical. Lifts spin again next Friday thru Sunday until the snow melts with Superstar the only game left.

IMG_3871 (1).jpg
Magical Friday
IMG_3911 (1).jpg
Soft Saturday
IMG_3938 (1).jpg
Skyhawk at Six
IMG_3972.jpg
Sunday AM

Seve

Live Free or Die Baby
Skier
I was at Killy last Friday and it did turn out to be a great day once it softened with great bumps on Skyhawk and SS. LT forecast looks rainy and crappy right through this weekend and beyond BUT I'm still hoping to get in one more sunny day in the 60's or better even if I have to wait a few weeks. Hopefully Superstar can hold on that long and at least till Sat/Sun May 20th?? .
K is only lift served skiing left in NE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Definitely getting the norbeaaster spring pass next March. Love spring skiing at Killington. Plan to pop my superstar cherry next season. I've just recently started skiing some blacks so superstar is a goal of mine.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 6-7 May Killington Conditions
Less than perfect weekend weather tested the will of many as the soul of Killington Spring skiing managed to shine thru for the truly obsessed. An ungroomed Superstar turned softer under skier traffic with the end of the day being the best. One of my favorite Spring Kids to watch was out dragging her dad down Superstar. At 3 and a half she is a trooper skiing the bumps. Enjoyed talking to a ski instructor from Jay Peak who felt humbled after a few laps on our white ribbon of death. Spent shower time huddled under tailgate tarp sampling IPA’s and Stouts. Taking a Headwall Nap is a new phrase coined this weekend meaning you need to take a break halfway down. Enjoyed the end of day mogul lesson camp with friends. Chatted with a 13 year old at the locals tailgate ham dinner who got 20 runs in after he turned on his app at noon. Final two maybe three weekends left to go.

Quote of the Day - Let’s defy aging by drinking from the soft Fountain of Youth called Superstar.

IMG_4028.jpg
Saturday Morning Yell
IMG_4064.jpg
Follow the Leader
IMG_4059.jpg
Superstar At 3 and a half
IMG_4085.jpg
Mogul line
IMG_4090.jpg
End of the Day

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 12 May Killington Conditions
Sun peaked out from behind the morning clouds. Soft snow cover skied best for the first few runs until more of the base ice showed up. Snow pack is holding up as the groomers have stayed off the trail for a couple of weeks. Memorial Day weekend as well as June 1st looks more possible with every passing day. Large group from Albany were present for their 24th annual Snow/Water Ski Challenge with many dressed in shorts for the playing in the snow. Wet weather may damper things for the later half of the weekend. Physical effects of the soft conditions required extra breaks. Place is all mulched up as many bales of hay were spread around.

Quote Of The Day – Normally I only get this winded when hiking up the hill.

Mulch Time.JPG
Mulch Time
Soft Bumps.JPG
Soft Bumps
Lower Superstar.JPG
Lower Superstar

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 14May Killington conditions
Mothers Day May spring powder greeted the handful of early starters. Thick blanket of several inches covered the Superstar minefield. Headwall bumps had a super soft feel that was addicting. Moving the fresh super glop required super human endurance as this was some of hardest skiing I have done all year. Snow kept falling for a good part of the morning finally changing over to r*in. Place stayed pretty empty all day as the few that showed up tended not to stay too long. Wife made it back home from a trip down south just in time to enjoy some final hour laps.

Quote of the Day - Was so far back that I skipped the backseat and was skiing in the trunk.

Superstar Soar.JPG
Superstar Soar
Final Hour.JPG
Final Hour

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 19-21 May Killington Conditions
Wrap up this beautiful weekend to savior as it was worthy. Cloudy cooler than expected Friday was followed by a most glorious sunny Saturday with a sometimes sunny Sunday finish. First run on Friday Afternoon I knew everyone’s name standing atop the Superstar glacier except for one skier so I introduced myself. Find that I enjoy running the bumps when I look around and know everyone. Minor grooming took place overnight with Saturday then checking in as the perfect spring ski day. Large crowd showed up celebrate the warm weather and soft bumps with a fairly decent lift line building up by the afternoon. Shouts of “single” could be heard as two bodies per chair were allowed to carry their gear on for the ride up. One of the young regulars rode the chair 49 times missing making his 50th run by seconds. Corn production kicked into high gear as the slope came popping to life. Seemed as if every true mogul lover on the East Coast was present. Bumps by Sunday were large and in charge. Reload time as the fun kicks in a gear again on Friday Morning.

Quote of the Day - Time to hobble back to the snow for some more laps.

IMG_4382.jpg
Headwall Dancing
IMG_4297.jpg
May Liftline
IMG_4368.jpg
Super Bumpy
IMG_4420.jpg
Batman Returns

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 26May Killington Conditions
Wet windy foggy afternoon where the dirt layer painted the moguls as a result of the week of sitting. Trail is totally connected top to bottom with the narrow ice ribbon on the headwall being the thinest. Time to bring the rock skis is the sensible advice to anyone planning to venture out this weekend. Rumor is they plan one last groom tonight to build a spine that will hopeful last until June 1st. Two lower thin spots will soon have the trail broken up into 3 separate patches of snow. Time to get those final turns in as the end is coming fast.

Quote of the Day- Feels nice when you find some of the white stuff.

IMG_4460.jpg
Headwall
IMG_4456.jpg
Foggy Top
IMG_4467.jpg
Moonscape
IMG_4480.jpg
Minute of Sun

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 28 May Killington Conditions
Warm sunny start for the last May Sunday stupid fun day where every crazy springtime bump bashing fan has seemed to make their way to the Beast for the party. Groomers had been out for the second day in a row filling in the narrow weak areas. Early risers had the chance this weekend to make some high speed groomed turns before the bumps returned. Rock strewn snow path leading down to waiting snow on the Superstar Headwall had most reasonable folks opting to walk down the 40 yards or so. Chatted with local mogul legend “The Hammer” who is nursing a blown MCL. He now has a bad knee and a worst knee but it's hard to tell from watching him ski that he is injured at all. Hannah Soar was out leading the youngsters with her trademark high ponytail bouncing down the tightest bump lines with ease showcasing the advantages of youth paired with skill. Cake was on tap at the U-Bar noontime celebration for 200 days of lift operation this season. On a sad note Radio Ron from Holiday Valley Ski area went down during the final hour of lift operation Sunday with a broken leg. Wished him a speedy recovery as patrol loaded the sled into the back of a waiting pickup truck. Word that the mountain will be closed for Monday due to weather spread like wildfire with many vowing to return for Thursday June 1st.

Quote of the Day – Vermont was at its finest this weekend.

Hike Down.JPG
Hike Down
Hammer Time.JPG
Hammer Time
200Day cake.JPG
200 Day Cake
Radio Ron Down.JPG
Radio Ron Down
Flag Fun.JPG
Flag Fun

Sponsor

Staff online