• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016-17 Northeast Conditions/reports

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
James that was Starr....

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Well I think they groom some trails.
Superstar at Killington won't be groomed
Monday afternoon the bumps on Superstar after 4 days of no grooming reached perfection. With the overnight grooming looks like we get to start the process of forming those world class moguls all over again this morning. Days of hard work is so quickly erased with a few passes of the groomer.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Just got a part time gig in NYC for a music magazine so no mid week skiing for me now. Last weekend in April is supposed to be 60-70 degrees so thinking this coming weekend will possibly my last of the season. Killington here we come.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So what's the best guess for Killington this weekend? I have my stuff in the car but don't want to head up if it's going to be a washout.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saturday is chance of morning showers, 6degrees C, Sunday is mostly sunny, 12 degrees C. Heading to Jay for one last weekend of spring. Looks like they still have a lot of runs open. Way more than Stowe. Looks like some of Killington is closed

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I am curious too. Ready to head up tonight or at dawns crack tomorrow am
Can we have a repeat of the stellar conditions we had the past two weekends? Snow will be soft as the temps have remained above freezing. Saturday will have a few lingering showers with Sunday and Monday the next two perfect spring days. Some of our runouts are getting pretty thin and they have nixed the plan of opening Bear Mtn for one final weekend. Many folks are will drop vehicles over at Bear just to get a few extra runs on Outer Limits. Less than 50 trails are slated to be open with four lifts. Final weekend for the Peak Lodge as my favorite bar closes until June 9th. Free Lunch to season pass holders on Saturday with midweek season passes good everyday thru the end of the season. Come out and enjoy as more snow will be melted off if you sit and ruminate.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Can we have a repeat of the stellar conditions we had the past two weekends? Snow will be soft as the temps have remained above freezing. Saturday will have a few lingering showers with Sunday and Monday the next two perfect spring days. Some of our runouts are getting pretty thin and they have nixed the plan of opening Bear Mtn for one final weekend. Many folks are will drop vehicles over at Bear just to get a few extra runs on Outer Limits. Less than 50 trails are slated to be open with four lifts. Final weekend for the Peak Lodge as my favorite bar closes until June 9th. Free Lunch to season pass holders on Saturday with midweek season passes good everyday thru the end of the season. Come out and enjoy as more snow will be melted off if you sit and ruminate.

I would indeed love a repeat of last weekend. My guy is on the fence but I'm coming regardless. Could be my last weekend, sniff, sniff.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Conditions at Killington were marginal today. Ice in places and heavy slush in others. Coverage is getting a bit thin in places. Demoed some skis as 3 demo tent's were there. Took out Armada Invictus 95 ca, DPS Yvette 112 and loved both of those. Loved the Blizzard Brahma also. Didn't love the Meier Big Nose Kate but loved loved loved the Meier Wild Bill and bought em.. Not ideal conditions as it was rainy, overcast and damp but could be our last day of the season so it was bittersweet.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Conditions at Killington were marginal today. Ice in places and heavy slush in others. Coverage is getting a bit thin in places. Demoed some skis as 3 demo tent's were there. Took out Armada Invictus 95 ca, DPS Yvette 112 and loved both of those. Loved the Blizzard Brahma also. Didn't love the Meier Big Nose Kate but loved loved loved the Meier Wild Bill and bought em.. Not ideal conditions as it was rainy, overcast and damp but could be our last day of the season so it was bittersweet.

Musta been named after me! ogwink

You'll be starting your snow dance early next year with those!

WildBill.png

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at Killington yesterday and today also. I demoed the Stockli Storm Riders and they were pretty good in the heavy snow. Then tried the Volkl Kendos and really liked them, I would have snatched a pair if I was in the market. Last I tried the Blizzard Brahma and liked them but prefer my Fischer Ranger 88s. I did not check out any of the Meiers. It was foggy and flat light in the a.m. Saturday and then rained lightly much of the day, until I bailed at 2:30 of course.

Today was a great spring day. Lots of soft snow and bumps which are a lot of fun, but the legs are now toast, especially after sitting I the car for 4 1/2 hours on the ride home/

Sunny and warm and still plenty of great snow, although conditions were deteriorating rapidly. Still a ton of snow on Superstar, but this will be the last day for the other 3 lifts to spin. A lot of coverage on Cascade and a few other trails serviced by the other chairs, but many connecting trails were raging streams.

There was a black bear hanging out on the closed Royal Flush which was pretty cool.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Might try for one more day at Killington this Saturday but I'll have to watch and see what's still open. Faction is having a demo day saturday so that might be fun. Skyhawk off the superstar quad was looking pretty bad and upper skylark wasn't too far behind. The headwall of superstar might be the only option by the weekend. I'll check the weather thursday/friday and then make the call.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 24 April Killington Conditions
Sun filled beautiful spring day greeted the Monday morning soft core fans. Superstar chair is the only lift choice as our mountain has gotten small again. Groomed super soft snow on Skyelark and Bittersweet had us grinning ear to ear. Watched my wife jump to avoid a large rock on Upper Bittersweet as today may be it for this trail. Nice to see some of the same springtime familiar faces. Chatted with a older couple were we have watched the lady struggle for years in the soft conditions. Her persistence has paid off as she can now navigate confidently. Superstar bump lines were perfectly awesome. Slope side tailgating base camp allowed us a great spot to recharge and rest up between ski sessions. Skin than lacked sunscreen turned crimson by days end.

Grade - Spring perfect soft

Quote of the Day - I have never seen this many rednecks in Vermont.

IMG_3739.jpg
Skyelark
IMG_3786.jpg
Bump Fun
IMG_3778.jpg
Shadow Day
IMG_3803.jpg
Skyehawk

otisshirley

Booting up
Skier
You beat me to the photos from Killington yesterday, so here are just a couple:

Superstar, side view:
20170424_114639.jpg

Looking down Lower Superstar:
20170424_121649.jpg

The weather got into the 60s and the snow was soft but not sticky. Bittersweet was getting thin. Skyelark by noon was an undulating sea of soft snow; bumps would form and then get mashed down by skis going right over them. The bumps on Superstar were well formed, with troughs that were hard but not icy. Skye Hawk had the steepest bumps but I didn't try it because of the wide strip of dirt halfway down (which you can see in Guy in Shorts' photo).

The glacier on top of Superstar looks like it's good for a couple more weeks at least.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Looks like the weather will be decent this weekend at Killington so I think I'll make one more trek up. This is all contingent upon upper Skylark still being open so if that closes I'll call it a season. Faction will be there saturday for a demo so so long as I promise myself I won't buy another pair of skis it'll all be good :). If I'm skiing my own skis and conditions are marginal I'll likely bring out my Volkl Aura rock skis as I won't want to mess up my Meiers or 90Eights. I'm almost ready to embrace spring but but but one more weekend please......

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone been skiing at Sugarloaf this week? Wondering what it might be like for this weekend. They say there are 128 trails open on their site, seems like a lot for this time of year, but maybe. They say 14 are being groomed tonight. I think this is their last weekend of operation.

Sponsor

Staff online